"A" is in Treatment. I Have a Question

Old 03-26-2003, 03:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

"A" is in Treatment. I Have a Question

My son 22 yrs old, is at an in-patient treatment facility. He left last Tuesday. He called me today and when I told him how proud we are of him he said not to tell him that. He said that it makes him have high esteem for himself. I said, isn't that a good thing? He said NO. He also said that he does not want to discuss his treatment with me or his dad. I told him that was fine that he didn't have too. I just don't understand whats wrong with telling him we are proud of him. Any thoughts?

Thank you
Old 03-26-2003, 05:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My guess is that he wants to

feel bad about himself right now. And your comment about being proud of him doesn't fit in with that scenario. Keep being proud Mom, he is doing a good thing even if he can't acknowledge it. And pardon me for being "un-program-ish"...but how like an alcoholic to try and rob you of your feelings of pride and optimism. He doesn't want to discuss his treatment with you or his Dad? Fine. That is his perogative. That doesn't mean that the next time you talk to him you can't voice your pride in him once again. It took me a long time to learn this lesson:
Just because they don't want to hear it, doesn't mean you can't say it.
Peace,
Gabe
Old 03-26-2003, 05:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

D MOM

Don't even try to figure out how they think. They are sick and confused. My son says stuff like this all the time, and the one thing I do continue to tell him is that we love him.

Just feel your pride, say your prayers and let him work his program.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

Thank you Gabe. It's nice to know that I am allowed to be proud of him. I was begining to think that I must be saying all the wrong things.
Old 03-26-2003, 06:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

Thank you Anns. Your right he is confused. I will give him time and continue to let him know I love him even if he doesn't want to hear it.