Notices

I was in denial....I think.

Old 11-19-2006, 08:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I was in denial....I think.

Hi! Since I'm posting this under the Newcomers to Recovery, I'll just assume that everyone will know this is my first post. Let me start off by saying I didn't think I had a problem because I do not drink every day - or every week. And in fact, sometimes I do limit myself to just one or two. It usually depends on the crowd I am with and if I am driving. I've had two DUI convictions so that wasn't always the case - obviously. I also used to think it was a phase. Single, still relatively young (26 at the moment), no children, no "real" worries. To me, it's "night out with the girls"! When I do drink (and I mean getting drunk), I always do something that I feel guilty about, regret, or just don't remember in the morning. After reading other posts, I more than likely am an alcoholic but I am not ready to admit that just yet. I am starting today, though..with the no drinking. This is the first time that I'm making that decision so hopefully I can stick with it. I want to do it NOW before something terrible (and the two DUI's were pretty bad) happens. I need to make the effort otherwise nothing else in my life will get better - I'll keep making a fool out of myself. When I do drink it's like I'm a completely different person. And I don't like that person.

So, with that being said (and I was probably rambling - sorry about that) I wish everyone on here the best of luck. WE CAN DO IT!
Old 11-19-2006, 08:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Midas

Welcome, O Timid One of The Ohio Valley!

Making the decision to stop drinking, and taking the first step is often the most difficult. We're glad you're here.

Old 11-19-2006, 08:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

It isn't how often or how much, but how it affects us! I once knew a gal in AA who only drank one weekend (after her boyfriend had broken up with her)...the way she felt during and after that episode was enough to convince her she didn't want to continue on that path.

She had many, many sober years in AA...was very active in her group...went out to share at speaker meetings. She always introduced herself by saying, "My name is_______, and I don't want to drink today."

Remember, according to the AA Preamble,
the only requirement for membership is a desire to quit drinking
Old 11-19-2006, 08:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome to SR!

I suggest you check out this link.. #35 concerns Blackouts

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...fluence-2.html

Take care..
Old 11-20-2006, 12:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hi and welcome.

quote.

"...we have made clear the distinction between the alcoholic and the nonalcoholic. If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking, you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic."

big book p 44.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Party Girl. Denial is very common, as is not remembering the full extent of the pain. I would suggest that you remember some of the things you did while drinking and write them down to your best ability. Also include the feelings you experienced with regard to the alcohol. Did you want more? Did you have more than you planned to have? Did you regret having "just one more"? Did you tell yourself that you didn't want to do that again and then go out the next month or next week or next day and do the same thing?

It's great that you're looking to clean up your life before it gets too difficult. Keep posting and asking questions.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome! Glad that you are asking questions and seeking information.

Hope you will stick around and keep posting!
Old 11-20-2006, 08:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
let it grow!

Hello OHIO,

My daughter is an alcoholic in recovery, a bit younger than you. She is facing her 2nd DUI charge. In our state, 3 DUIs equals about a year of jailtime. Her attorney has told her that recovery is not about "getting our of trouble", it's about "staying out of trouble". She made the decision to get sober because her life had become unmanagable and she was powerless over alcohol. She is 62 days sober. You can do it! Blessings..
Old 11-20-2006, 04:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

drinking is progressive, good thing you nabbed it in the butt now, good job and stay with us
Old 11-20-2006, 04:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

OH! MY... I could have wrote that post and I did 2 months ago.. I will post more later but wanted to welcome you..
Joanne
Old 11-20-2006, 05:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR