Notices

Physical Symptoms?

Old 11-17-2006, 06:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Physical Symptoms?

I just want to know if what I have gone through physically was normal or not. Has anybody experienced one or more of those after/during stopping drinking?:

1-Sleeping problems (waking up at a wee hour and unable to go back to sleep, therefore really tired during the day? And sweating)

2-Lack of tolerance? (everything PO's you?)

3-This might be too much information, and eww factor, but here I go (and I apologize for it) Having some kind of diareah? (I had it when I was drinking, but I thought it would go away when I stopped, but so far, it hasn't) I have been drinking lots of water, but I still have swollen feet if I sit for a long time during the day.

I just want to know if those symptoms could be the result of abusing my body for a long time or not. If I need to see my doctor and I am so scared about telling him that I had been drinking for that long, basically abusing my body. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

sound familiar to me. Detox is very much like stomach flu. Aches pains vomiting and the chits.

Never be afraid to talk to your doctor about your problem with alcohol. It's a very common problem and it's great to have him/her on your side. You can get medicine to alleviate the symptoms but if you mix them with booze then you're in double trouble.

congratulations on your decision to change your life for the better... I am positively certain it will be the decision that you will never ever regret.

Stick around and let us know how you're doing/feeling. You should feel better in a few more days.

Old 11-17-2006, 08:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Seeing your doctor is always wise.. However..

Here is a link full of our personal experiences

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-expect.html

Take care..
Old 11-18-2006, 12:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

hi hanzade -

1)yes
2)yes
3)yes

the good news - it all goes away.
hang in there!
Old 11-18-2006, 06:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hiyas Hanz....Welcome!

YUP, YUP, and YUP......plus more depending on the person. Hang in there, time is amazing and things will get better.
Liss
Old 11-18-2006, 06:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes,....that couldnt be more normal. Lets say you are a football player. You injure your leg or arm badly during a game. Does the pain go away when they carry you off the field? No. Just because you have stopped the activity that has caused you pain, doesnt mean the pain stops immediately. It takes time for that injury to heal before you can resume playing. Same with alcohol addiction and abuse. Just because you have stopped drinking doesnt mean the suffering stops immediately. It DOES go away pretty quick, but, you have to get through it and come out the other side to resume feeling "normal" again.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Hanzade

I have experienced all of these when I got sober. Our bodies go through detox and its common to feel like that and have symptoms. A check up with your dr is probably a good idea to be on the safe side.

Love, Rose
Old 11-19-2006, 06:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had everything you describe PLUS throwing up, shaking uncontrollably, an exaggerated startle reflex (if something barely touched me I'd jump like I was in a haunted house or something) and panic attacks. It was hell and not something I want to ever do again. It is normal and it is a process. It does get better so hang in there and know you're normal. Also, once the physical symptoms passed then my emotions seemed to wake up and I could be laughing one minute and crying the next. I thought I was going crazy but it turns out that is something else that is normal.

This too shall pass. Just hang in there and get through it and know that you don't ever have to feel this way again if you don't choose to.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i also seemed to have always have bad breath or a bad taste in my mouth. that's why finding something else to drink was important to me. water tasted bad, soda tasted bad. lemonade worked.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey, thank you very much everybody. I called my dr. (of 5 years who has no idea I drank like a fish ) and scheduled a check up.

I also have gained like 58 pounds in 11 years, I am guessing it is mostly because of booze.

Today, I have started changing my diet too. I am mainly eating a gluten free diet. ( fresh fruit and vegetables, lean meat, no breads, pasta, no grains basically except rice and legumes )
I gave up alcohol and I found myself eating a lot of sweets instead, so I have to do something about it.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I ate a lot of sweets too. That's why I switched to diet Limeade. It's sweet but also tart and seems to keep the sweet tooth at bay.

I lost almost 20 pounds with very little effort after I quit drinking.

Good job at staying sober!