he stumbled into the room part 2

Old 11-17-2006, 02:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

he stumbled into the room part 2

I posted this on one of the other forums, and then decided to post it here as well. Hope that is okay. I could use some input from folks that maybe have gone through what I'm going through right now.I'm not sure what my part is, and what action I need to take. How do I intervene without interfering with the natural progression of things? Am I minding my own business too much?

My husband suffered a head injury as a result of this disease this last summer. He had a miraculous recovery. Everyone everywhere stressed that for him to stay safe and not find himself in the same situation again, he had to get serious about his recovery and staying sober. He was on the pink cloud for maybe 2 months. He said he definately wanted recovery, that the head injury was his bottom.

He spoke words but does not want to follow through with the action it takes to stay sober and in recovery. I will say what I observe: He is completely drunk but without the alcohol. He is losing the rehabilitation he received this summer. He is losing his cognitive skills, his ability to reason, he is disoriented, slurred speach, drunken conversation, stumbles, drooping eyes, stays in bed all day, not wanting to eat. I do not know if Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome can continue to progress once one has stopped drinking. I don't know if it is the prescription meds or over the counter meds he is taking that is causing him to act drunk - if his body just can't handle anything anymore to where he responds drunk.

I don't know what action I need to take. I asked him what he was taking different with his meds, because there was a marked change in his behavior since he came home from rehab. He said "nuffing, wha, ah hathn't seeen uhny chinge inn muh behavuh".

I called one of his therapists from rehab to ask what I need to do. He advised me to encourage AH to follow up with one of the doctors he was seeing, and to discuss my concerns with this changed behavior. I haven't pushed it, but I did ask AH about following up with one of his doctor's. So far he sees no need to so he hasn't.

As a family member, what is my part? How am I suppose to respond to this behavior? I'm sticking to my Al-Anon groups, I'm trying to detach. I'm trying to mind my own business, let go and let God....but still, I could use some input from those who have gone through this, as to where I draw the line between getting involved and minding my own business. I'm living with AH one day at a time. I am riding the fence about leaving, but am not quite ready to walk out even yet.

I'm concerned that he will injure himself again. It's difficult to live one day at a time and to know what steps I need to take. I think of the promise that I will instinctively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us. Right now I'm baffled.

Sorry this is long. It also helps to get it out on paper what I'm observing. Thanks for listening. btw what is lol?

Old 11-17-2006, 03:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lizzy, sounds like your doing all that you can...

lizzy
Right now I'm baffled.
if you were, you wouldnt have wrote such a right on the $$$ post

lol...

laugh out loud...

and its good medicine...

good wishes lizzy
Old 11-17-2006, 04:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi,Lissy.What does your common sence tell you?
Personally when i was in this kind of situation,i told my loved one what my actions would be.And that was to inform his doctor.,and i did.After doing this,it really was out of my hands.
Pray for,God,s Guidence,and you will--know.
My prayers are with you both.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You know I dont have alot of experience in that and Im no doctor ...

But that does not sound normal at all to me. It sounds like something is really off and I would have to set some boundries about seeing his followup doctor.

Just my 2 cents
Old 11-17-2006, 09:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lizzy, unless this can be attributed to prescribed or OTC meds, the sudden change in behavior is alarming. Maybe he did not make a miraculous recovery after all. It could be a bunch of different things: effect of certain meds, bad interaction of meds...This is especially disturbing if you are certain he is not drinking--he must have a brain scan ASAP to rule out any pathology. The slurring, slowed motor responses, hypersomnia, drooping lids, and obvious cognitive deficits really make me think of a stroke or some brain malfunction. At this point, your husband does not seem very competent; I think you should contact his medical provider immediately to determine the cause of this.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by an'ka
Lizzy, unless this can be attributed to prescribed or OTC meds, the sudden change in behavior is alarming. Maybe he did not make a miraculous recovery after all. It could be a bunch of different things: effect of certain meds, bad interaction of meds...This is especially disturbing if you are certain he is not drinking--he must have a brain scan ASAP to rule out any pathology. The slurring, slowed motor responses, hypersomnia, drooping lids, and obvious cognitive deficits really make me think of a stroke or some brain malfunction. At this point, your husband does not seem very competent; I think you should contact his medical provider immediately to determine the cause of this.

Please take this advice seriously. If all is well; THEN detatch with love. JMHO
Old 11-21-2006, 09:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It sounds to me like he had a stroke. I'd call the doctor and report these symptoms.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Whether alcoholic or not, we simply cannot make someone take care of themselves, go to the doctor or do anything they just refuse to do.

If he refuses to help himself, if it were me, I would stop all forms of helping, to the point of not picking up his meds at the store, not reminding him to take meds etc. He simply does not see what you see...when will he see it?

When it starts to hurt that bad again. He is forgetting the pain of the head injury.He is on that slippery slope...let him slip...so he can pick himself up.

Sad to say some have to keep repeating the same mistakes over and over before the lesson sticks. I know I have had to.