Notices

A Drunks Tale

Old 11-16-2006, 02:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Drunks Tale

I heard this oldtimer give a quote, it's so old I feel it's alittle out dated. "Call before you drink and I'll go thru hell with you, call me after you drink and you can go thru hell alone". Times have changed and so have your good 'ol alki's, there's more than just alcohol in the mix these days. I get a little apprehensive to pass out my number and almost scared to let people know where I live. Most of the people in AA that I meet today have a very serious drug problem also. I wish times didn't change when it comes to some things. I feel like I fall short in the reaching out the hand of AA. I wish I could be there for the people that I have met, but their drug addictions scare me. I would love to have a chance to replay the hell of drinking to someone struggling. I have freinds in the rooms and that's about it, They only know but alittle. I sometime wonder do I lack compassion and understanding or am I just scared of drug addicts. I have had this feeling for years, I won't even sponser drug addicts. I just need some imput is this a healthy fear or is this fear from being victemized? I needed to have bounderies when I got here, but have I gone too far?
Old 11-16-2006, 04:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think in todays times, your fears are legit and well founded. I have seen too many bad things happen to good, trusting people. I'm sure you can do the work of AA, and the work of God, and still keep your own safety margin comfortable.

JMHO

S
Old 11-16-2006, 06:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi odat....my husband is a drug addict. my father was an alcoholic. I have to say, my father was much worse off than my husband is. I'd trust my husband as the drug addict more than i trust my father as the alcoholic. JMO.