Notices

Hi all

Old 11-13-2006, 07:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Hi all

This is my first time here. Just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed reading all your posts. I'm on my 8th day of sobriety from alcohol. I've done this countless amounts of times in the past to only end up right back where I started from. This time I need it be different. The time has come for me to take this seriously. Many people that I have known who've dealt with alcohol abuse have told me that I won't be able to do it on my own, so that is why I'm giving this board a chance. Any advice you all can give would be truly appreciated. And whatever help I can give is of course available. I hope to meet all of you!
Old 11-13-2006, 08:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome... Hey!! Your trying and trying, it is better to try and eventually succeed then to give up. I tried many times before too. Now, I am 58 days sober and feel pretty good. I have been to 1 AA meeting and plan on going to others. This board has helped me tremendously, keep coming back.
Joanne
Old 11-13-2006, 08:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the positive thoughts Joanne.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Weelocme!

For me to quit and stay quit I needed to know WHY
I was an alcoholic.

Please check out this link

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-expect.html

I hope you find some answers.

Way to go on your sober time!..
Blessings
Old 11-13-2006, 09:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Carol. Unfortunately, the link just led me back to the homepage.
I guess the thing with me and alcohol, is that it's everywhere. I've recovered from my drug abuse completely for nearly four years now, but alcohol seems to be the one that's given me the hardest time. And I believe it's due to the fact that I can't seem to hide from it. With other drugs, you can cut off certain friends and go out of your way to just avoid buying them. With alcohol, it's always around. I go grocery shopping and that's all I seem to see. I go out, people are sticking it in my face. I watch TV everyone's always drunk and having a great time. Alcohol is the one drug that's always always around...
Old 11-14-2006, 04:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know how hard it is, especially when you can see your liquor store from your home like me. The other thing is that my hubby and I met at a pub where he was playing music at the time and drinking has always been a big part in both of our cultures. It's impossible to avoid because it is everywhere. I was just telling my hubby the other night as we were watching two movies in a row on TV that God must be testing me because both movies involved parties, wine&dine and people having a good time with alcohol throughout both movies! I have never seen so much drinking in any other movies while I was still using! But I made it through those movies without major cravings. It's just something I will have to learn to live with...Good luck to you!
Old 11-14-2006, 05:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Opps! Here is the correct link..

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

When I quit drinking all my fun bottles were empty.

Blessings..
Old 11-14-2006, 09:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Carol. What a great read.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Europe

Originally Posted by German69
I know how hard it is, especially when you can see your liquor store from your home like me. The other thing is that my hubby and I met at a pub where he was playing music at the time and drinking has always been a big part in both of our cultures. It's impossible to avoid because it is everywhere. I was just telling my hubby the other night as we were watching two movies in a row on TV that God must be testing me because both movies involved parties, wine&dine and people having a good time with alcohol throughout both movies! I have never seen so much drinking in any other movies while I was still using! But I made it through those movies without major cravings. It's just something I will have to learn to live with...Good luck to you!
So I take it you're german? I'm half French half Swedish, so I can understand the culture thing. Both of my people love, and I mean love, to drink. It's so hard visiting for those reasons. Everytime I go there, it's always in my face. And nobody can understand that I don't drink. It's like I'm purposely ruining the party or something. Like I'm some kind of a party pooper, someone who doesn't know how to have fun. Europe has a long way to go, compared to the US, to educate people about alcoholism.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome glad you've joined us.
indigo
Old 11-14-2006, 09:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Indigo. Glad to be hear.