First time here

Old 11-08-2006, 04:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First time here

Hello,

Its my first time in this chat room. I have a 22 year old son who I am truly concerned about. He's on his 3rd DUI, can't imagine why he just cant' drink and NOT drive?
Old 11-08-2006, 04:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, housework, glad you're here.

Maybe one of the mods will move your message; or you can start a new thread. Click on the "New Thread" button at the top of the forum. That way you won't get lost in the shuffle.

Look forward to getting to know you.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Housework,

I moved your thread here so you'll receive more replies.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR housework.
I don't have experience with an alcoholic child, but I wanted to welcome you here.
I also can't answer your question as to why your son can't just not drive. It seems that many alcoholics have multiple DUI's. I suppose it's because they maybe feel they won't get caught, or maybe it's because being drunk they aren't thinking clearly - I really don't know. What I have found is that it just doesn't benefit me to bang my head against the wall in frustration trying to answer questions about the "why's" of alcoholism. I will never understand.

Do you attend Alanon?
Old 11-08-2006, 06:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR... we are glad your here.

I also dont have an child that is alcoholic, but there are many ladies here that have experience with this.

You will never figure out the way an Alcoholic thinks... I would not suggest you even try hon. What you could do is learn all you can about the disease and the tools you will need to have to deal with him.

I look forward to getting to know you... keep coming back.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
let it grow!

Hello HOUSEWORK, welcome -

I have a 22 year old daughter facing her 2nd DUI charge. She is an alcoholic, powerless over the disease. She admits this now, and is seeking treatment. 40 plus days clean and sober, and a very long road of recovery in front of her.

It took her a long time and a lot of pain to get her to where she is today.

Ultimately, it was after a horrific black out car accident, an arrest, a emergency room stay, and a week plus stay in a lock down young adult mental health unit that she started to sober up and see her path of destruction. It was with the help of several doctors, social workers, the police, a lawyer, adult family members who care about her, and my husband and I all giving her her the same message that she was able to MAKE UP HER OWN MIND she was ready for help. Here's the message - "This is not about getting out of trouble, this is about staying out of trouble".

My husband and I are trying to take care of ourselves with Alanon and private counseling. We are trying not enable your daughther, it will only slow down her recovery, just as it slowed down her admittance of the disease. We are getting as much professional support as we can for ourselves and for our daughter - we cannot do this alone.

I hope this is helpful. Take good care, K
Old 11-10-2006, 06:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I do not have a child addicted to alcohol, but a husband.
Alcoholics don't think rational, like sober people. Sometimes I have no clue what goes thru their minds.

Keep posting !!!

Old 11-12-2006, 09:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, Housework....

Both of my children were alcoholics and I thank God they found recovery in AA at young ages. They're adults now and I couldn't be more blessed and grateful than I am now.

My heart goes out to you. I hope you will attend Al-Anon meetings as soon as you can. It saved my sanity. It took awhile for me to practice "tough love", but my kids tell me that it saved their lives!

Please keep coming back to share, get to meetings and read as much of the free literature as you possibly can. Hopefully, your son will attend AA meetings on a regular basis.

Hang in there and my prayers are with you.
Hugs,
Luv2All
Old 11-13-2006, 05:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

good morning housework

glad you found this site.....keep coming back and posting, reading.

it has become a lifeline for me. this and al-anon. al-anon and my faith saved my life and sanity. i still go to al-anon, and this site serves as a compas for me in between meetings.

i don't have an alcoholic child....was married to alcoholic.

many here have alcoholic adult children.....but the disease is the same in all.

welcome aboard!!!!! keep coming back.

blessings to you
jeri