OT: My Hair is Falling Out...

Old 10-29-2006, 09:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

OT: My Hair is Falling Out...

I started to notice it about a week ago. When I combed my hair after my shower it just kept coming out in huge amounts. It literally filled the trash can when I was done. At first I thought it was my imagination, but by the end of last week, I had lost about 75% of my hair.

With even the slightest movement today, it falls onto my shoulders, into my mouth, into my food, onto the keyboard. I called the doctor and set up an appointment for Tuesday. Hopefully, she can help me figure out what's going on here.

I know it's just hair, but everytime I look in the mirror I could cry. In fact, I'm crying now.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I have no answers but I am so sorry.
Mega Hugs
Old 10-29-2006, 09:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Lotsof things can make your hair fall out, have her check your thyroid. Hair falling out is a defining characteristic of hypothyroidism. A simple blood test will rule this out.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

I'm scheduled to have I-131 (radioactive iodine) therapy to ablate my thyroid on Friday due to hyperthyroidism. So I will soon suffer from hypothyroidism, but today I have the opposite problem. Could that be the culprit? And if so, could I lose all my hair (sure looks like it's heading in that direction), and how long will it take to grow back?

Doesn't do much for my self esteem.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes it should grow back. Medication will adjust the imbalance of hormone. Some of the other symptoms are constipation, fatigue, menstral irrregulariites, weight gain and depression.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

F.D., you have been through so much and I truly admire the strength you have shown through this ordeal. But when it comes to a woman and her hair .... well, it is something that is pretty doggone important. Can you buy a nice wig that looks similar in color and style to your own hair?

Lots of people who have chemo look like billiard balls. Funny thing is, when their hair grows back it comes in lush and wavy.

I'm keeping you in my prayers that this will soon end and you can be done with all this crap. Sending love your way. Consider the wig.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know some who have found solace and courage in the song, "I am not my hair" by India Arie.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

((((FD))))

Has to be tough, and scary. Glad you don't have to wait too long for an answer.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Here is a link to You Tube. Someone made a montage of the song I AM NOT MY HAIR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TBrQHVMoWM
Old 10-30-2006, 02:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

((((FD))))

I know you must be very,very scared. Just remember we are fearlessly and wonderfully made.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

Oh FD, I am so sorry u are going through this. When it rains it pours. I know no one wants to go this route but there are lovely wigs. I bought a hair piece as mine has thined with age. prayers out to u
Old 10-30-2006, 04:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

********{FD}}}}}}},been there.There are many reasons for hair loss.Sometimes its due to stress,sometimes its hormornal[mine was]sometimes its due to meds etc,etc.When i was 23,i was on the pill,for about 3 years.I then went of it.My hair was long,down to my waist,and within a month of going of the pill,i was bald.,completely.It came out in spots,and its a hormal problem.,for me.Called alapisha areata.My problem,with hair loss is permant.They told me,to invest in wigs,that my hair would never grow.,that i would always have,large spots of hair loss.However,thanks to God,that was not the case,and i have hair,lots of it.But i sure know the feelings.wowow,devestated,in the beginning.I cried,and cried.I felt "different" from other women.Everytime another Dr,or others talked about hair loss to me,they always refered to mens cases,which did not make me feel better,,geesh.Until acceptance,came,in time,and i did buy some wigs,that were great to wear,and looked good too.Wigs became fun.But it did take ---time---for me to adjust,to my situation.
my prayers are with you,
Old 10-30-2006, 06:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Practicing the lion's roar

((((FormerDoormat))))
Old 10-30-2006, 06:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Always hopeful...

Oh, that has to be scary for you, but most likely it is related to that thyroid thing. AND, it will grow back when it is correted. Some very cute wigs out there in the meantime that look so natural. And, my experience w/ conditions treatable, it does grow back better than it was before!! Keep us posted. See the Dr. tomorrow? that's good.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
On a tear

((((FD)))) Prayers for comfort and a quick diagnosis and speedy recovery.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

So sorry you have to deal with this, FD. I can imagine how difficult this must be. Keeping you in my prayers that it all gets resolved soon... This temporary setback does nothing to change what a beautiful person you are, which has always been evident just from your posts. Prayers they'll figure this all out soon and your hair will be back longer and more beautiful than ever! (HUGS)
Old 10-30-2006, 06:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear this. My daughter has had this in the past; actually every time she gets very stressed now she loses hair but not to such an extreme.

Her worse case to date was the first (about 2-3yrs old) when it came out in handfuls;very similar to my mother's after chemotherapy. She was scheduled to see a doctor specializing in alopecia,but it reversed before the appointment time. Evidently there are many body systems that can get out of sync and cause reactions like this. (Even fevers,medications, hormonal fluxes,etc.) My daughter says taking a vitamin suppliment (we found one once esp. for hair that helped the most) helps her. She has had issues with her thyroid,too.

Hope you get to the bottom of this,soon! hugs
Old 10-30-2006, 07:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Awww Vitamin B is supposed to help a bit for hairloss.

Marte
Old 10-30-2006, 09:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

(((FormerDoormat))). I am glad you are going to the doctor. They make some beautiful wigs that look so natural.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
been searching for the dream

Hi FD I know that I had a similiar problem not to the extreme of 75% but I really had some serious loss of hair for about a year and it would be all over the bathroom and on my legs at work I sit and would find it everywhere. I am anemic mostly and I have had some thyroid issues plus lots and lots of stress at the time it was happening. I hope this helps and all of the tests sound good and don't forget alternative therapies they sometimes address these odd happenings better than western methods at times. Try traditional chinese medicine and practitioners who are acupuncturists for help in your area. Hope it gets better soon.