Notices

Here I am

Old 10-28-2006, 09:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here I am

Hi All.

I'm 34 and live in chicago suburbs. I'm a mom to 3. I have a disgusting beer habit that has to stop. I kept denying that it was a problem.. but there is no denying anymore. It has affected my family, my house, my appearance.. my life. I am tired of killing myself slowly. I want to live - and be healthy and a good mother!
I have no idea how i'm going to do this. In all honesty, I can't see myself going to meetings - but maybe I'll get there. Right now I'd like to just make it through tomorrow without a drink.
I'm scared - i can't imagine life without the occasional night out partying with friends - no drinks when out to dinner.. The problem is it's all or nothing with me.. I don't stop at 2 and go for a week or more.. So if I can't control it like - I need to stop it completely.

So.. here I go. I'll need every bit of help you guys and this forum have to offer.

Look forward to getting to know everyone.

Last edited by need2; 10-28-2006 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!

Congratulations on seeking answers!

A wise move would be to talk honestly to your doctor
about your drinking.

De toxing from alcohol is very unpleasant and can
be dangerous.

Glad you are here...we do understand.

Blessings..
Old 10-28-2006, 10:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi.. I would be too embarassed I think. Unless I'm going to be in horrible shape - I was thinking to just 'sweat it out'. How many days does it last? I read some things in the 'what to expect' area.. Shakes and what not.. does everyone go through the same?
Old 10-28-2006, 10:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

My De Tox

Day 1 Vomiting... Stomach Cramps... Heart Racing
Sweating and Twitching... Blurred Vision

Day 2 Pain in liver... Head and Body Aches... Nose Bleeds
Hearing Voices... Convulsion

Day 3 Hallucinations...Compulsive Showering...Violent Dream
Jello and Broth stayed down

Day 4 Exhausted and finished!

I was so ignorant of the danger that I did it at home with a friend
who had gone to rehab.
Really lucky as I had several indications I needed medical help.

Don't be as risky as I was....do it with medical supervision.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, Need2!

Please keep coming back to share with us. The more you can share, the more information and knowledge you'll gain. We're here to help and to cheer you on.

I was terrified and trembling when I attended my first AA meeting, but I quickly found that everyone in the room was just like me... an individual wanting to stop drinking. I got lots of hugs and smiles and warmth. Everyone told me to keep coming back, don't drink in between meetings, and that things would get better. They gave me their phone numbers and said that I could call whenever I needed help in staying away from that first drink.

If someone at the meeting asks if you'd like to say something, you can just reply "I'd rather listen this time." You can go on saying that until you feel the strength and courage to speak.

Being sober is the best life I ever dreamed could be possible.

Good luck to you.
Hugs,
Luv
Old 10-28-2006, 11:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello Need2!!
I just want to give you some encouragment, and let you know that you can share with us here on SR. It isn't easy going through a detox, but when you come out on the other side, life can be much better.

I had a nasty beer habit as well. Today, I consider it to be a miracle that I am sober. I could not stop on my own, and I needed the help from people on SR to stop. Once I stopped, I started going to AA and it changed my life.

Need2, you can recover. You can do this. It will be hard, but it will be worth it. Keep posting, and don't stop seeking answers. I'm rooting for you...keep up the good work!!!
chip
Old 10-29-2006, 01:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hi need to

hi....i am new to this website,but you remind me of me,only a month or so ago......it was all or nothing for me too....no,"cutting down"......or only on weekends......i reached a point where i was totally alone,and so hopeless...i got a therapist....started eating better(no sugar/no white stuff)...then set a date to quit....I felt alittle out of sorts for a few days.......but after only two weeks,i feel so much better.....i was looking unhealthy,and my place was always a mess too....because i was a mess......don't be afraid of going off the stuff.....be MORE afraid of staying where you are now....you have a family who needs you....and it feels good to feel better.....good luck to you.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and I'm glad you've made this decision. You can stop drinking and there's lots of support here.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Welcome ((( need2))))

good for you for talking with your doctor and definitely go for the medical detox.. LIke Carol said it's a living hell for some of us to detox on our own not to mention really dangerous.

Let us know how you're doing
Old 10-29-2006, 06:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warm welcome. I have to say the warnings of detox are a bit discouraging - I guess I'm in denial over that too - I mean, there has been times where I have gone a day or two without and didn't start detoxing. So maybe I'll have a better go with it. My plan is, if I start having a hard time like you all explain I will go straight in.. but I'm going to give it a go on my own first. I told my husband last night that I'm stopping - I don't think he believes me, but that's ok.. At least he knows. I told him I heard the first 4-5 days can be rough.. a heads up. We'll see.

Here we go.. day one.. going to head to the zoo. The bears game is tonight - always a reason to drink.. should be interesting to get through.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~ 5 ~

I quit a few times before I QUIT, and did not experience withdrawls or anything bad, i guess cause i was a beer drinker only. the first few days were only bad because of all the thoughts in my head, i was nervous and anxious but that was normal i guess.
I went to 1 AA meeting at 69 days sober, AA isnt for me but that one meeting will stick with me forever, i found out I wasnt alone I am not the only one with this problem, im not special im just another alcoholic Mom who let herself go. I am 135 days sober today and my kids look at me different they respect me now.
I am a bronco fan and the only day I ever drank before noon was football day, but now i dont, however i do drink alot more coffee and water and wake up monday feeling great whether my boys win or loose, chicago is a good team this year and i dont think theyll be loosing tonight but ya never know and ya will feel great tomorrow morning recalling events of the game that might have been blurred if ya was drinking, that happened to me last year when the colts pulled off that amazing comeback against miami, i passed out during the first half of the fourth quarter so all i ever got to see was highlights.
I seem to ramble alot but I am a Mom of 3 and im 34 and had a nasty beer habit so i know where your coming from and i know where your going and it is alot nicer then where we have been.
(((((((((((((hugs and prayers)))))))))))))))
Krys
Old 10-29-2006, 07:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wow Krys.. sounds like we have A LOT in common.

I'm going to drink a lot of water today.. tons.. that should help with flushing myself I think.

Time to get myself comfortable around here.. get an avator and a sig... I'm gonna be around for a long time. I'm gonna do this.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Hey need2,

First, welcome and congratulations on deciding to do something about your problem. There isn't another single thing you could do that could have a better positive influence on the rest of your life.

Back when I started this, I couldn't imagine a life without drinking either. Because I'd never had one. Alcohol and other drugs had always been part of my life since I was 15, well, actually before that since in my family we didn't have problems, we drank. So at first, the idea of never drinking seemed impossible and it seemed like I would be settling for less than a full life simply because I could not drink successfully. I learned to stop worrying about never drinking again, and, as trite and simple as it sounds, just not drink today. As time passed, I found that my life post drinking was actually better than anything I could have imagined when I was still focused on how much I would be missing out on because I could not drink successfully. I thought it was the end, but really is was just the beginning.

You can do this thing, and you are worth doing this thing.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've been drinking all my life too and now I'm 51 and it's not fun, it's an addiction. My husband drinks, my adult son lives with us and he drinks too. This won't be easy, it will upset the household. I'm so grateful to have found this forum and community, it will give me a place to go in the evening instead of having a drink or two and then falling asleep on the couch. What's the fun in that?? Thank you all for being here.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by need2
Wow Krys.. sounds like we have A LOT in common.

I'm going to drink a lot of water today.. tons.. that should help with flushing myself I think.

Time to get myself comfortable around here.. get an avator and a sig... I'm gonna be around for a long time. I'm gonna do this.
You are AWESOME! Congrats!!! I am also a mother of three. I am now 26 days sober. YOU can do it!!!!! This place is amazing. Such a source of help and hope. I am SO glad that you're here! Welcome Welcome Welcome!!!!!
Old 10-29-2006, 10:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~ 5 ~

Originally Posted by need2
You can do this and this place is a life saver, cause no matter how bad i think i feel somedays i know i can come here and after reading for awhile my whole attitude will shift and i can start my day off knowing I CAN DO IT!
Yep get comfy here, it feels like a favorite chair and best friend to talk to.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ok it's the witching hour. I'm stressed and I have a total headache. The zoo was fun - but found on my way home my husband was at a bar and I found myself completely jealous and thinking to use it as a reason to start tomorrow.. Not kidding - the whole way home I fought with myself about stopping at 7-11 for a 12pk.. not gonna do it. He can - he does not drink like I do and better he's doing it out than at home where I have to see it.
There are so many triggers - its not even funny. My daughter who is in her early teens started fighting with me as soon as I walked in the door about wanting to be out tonight.. nope - it's a school night. Too bad.. as she cried and screamed I again started thinking of it as another reason to go get beer - nope.. not gonna do it.
Found myself running to this forum as quick as I can for an attitude adjustment. Gesus.. if I can't even make it one night i'm in worse shape than I thought. Self control - I have it and I'm using it. Didn't think it would be this tough.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Raised from the Dead

hello fellow chi-towner! right now your in the crucial stage of recovery...detoxing. i checked into a detox to kick both alcohol and heroin cold-turkey. it was hell initally but when it was over i felt warm and fuzzy. i had a new lease on life! amazing how much this program has changed my life. i know your apprehensive of meetings but thats where you find a sponser to take you through the steps (not to mention other people you can hang out with). check www.chicagoaa.org to find a meeting near you.

we're with you!
Old 10-29-2006, 03:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks.. I'm not sure I can do the meetings. I think I'm going to give myself a chance to prove to myself I can do this - if I slip, that's where I'll be for sure like it or not.

Oh this is not fun. It's better after the first week, right? Someone tell me how much better it will get. I read around and I hear about people who are 90 days into it and still wanting to drink. Am I going to be wanting to drink forever?
Old 10-29-2006, 03:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

wait. don't answer that. don't want to hear the answer if it's yes.