Confused and feeling weak

Old 10-28-2006, 09:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Confused and feeling weak

So I finally got what I asked for. I haven't heard from him in a week. It's a big change. He went from 10-15 messages a day to nothing. I kept telling him I needed time by myself and now that he seems to be listening, I'm worried about him. I hate how responsible I feel for him. I'm really struggling with this need to check up on him but I'm trying to be strong. I hope he's checked himself in somewhere but part of me is scared he's hurt himself. He has tried to commit suicide before. I fairly certain his parents would call me if that was the case. I'm really uncertain about what to do. He's probably just holed himself with his favorite lady "the bottle" and if that is the case I don't want to call and start everything up again. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Old 10-28-2006, 10:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hon, I think most everyone here has had experience of this type at one time or another. Now I know I haven't read any of your other posts, so I feel that I am coming on in the middle of this, but I feel fairly sure that you are attempting to start your own life away from him, or trying to decide if that is what you want. The one thing that you must realize is that you cannot control his addiction or his using (drinking). You cannot control is he lives or dies. That is not within your power to "save" him from the bottle or himself. That power is only within "him" and his HP (God or whatever).

You didn't cause it, you can't control it, you can't cure it.

What would be good for you to do is to get help for yourself. You may not be an addict, but your life has been affected by one or maybe there's more than one in your life. Getting help for yourself and learning not to get caught up in the drama of an addict is the best thing you can do for YOU.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

aliveagain, Sat and Sun seem quiet around here, more will be by with thoughts.
I can't seem to add to Pony's reply, except to add, many of us have worried and been concerned and felt guilty. (No fun)
Lots of meetings helped me. Reading helped me keep my mind busy.
Even if I had to read a line 6 times.
Keep us posted, just typing out our thoughts and worries help a lot.