Black out questions?

Old 03-19-2003, 10:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
highmtn

Black out questions?

Knock....knock~~ Anyone in here? I have a question about black outs? When a person starts to find "odd" things done in their home (and they dont have kids), but they do have a drinking problem is this a sign of black outs? Do black out's decrease if she quits drinking? Get worse (causing permanent damage) if she continues to get drunk nightly? Is there a general guild line that these apparent black out's follow? Just wondering.
Thanks.....

Old 03-20-2003, 05:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

highmtn:

I'm not sure from the medical side, but from experience with my husband, I'd say odd things happen.

Anything that happens when he is drunk (really drunk) is completely forgotten. He breaks things, smears dog poop all over the house, lets my tiny dogs out, leaving every door in the house propped open, empties entire closets into the middle of a room, writes very incoherent, nasty, notes, wakes certain unfortunate individuals in our home to yell at them at 3:00 a.m. (usually me), etc. blah, blah, blah.

Any conversation we have has to be completely repeated on another date, as if it never took place the first time.

I think after awhile, blackouts happen even when they are not drunk, and we do have a lot of forgetfulness..... But I'm not sure about that, so I'm sure the experts will be along soon.

Take care of yourself.

Lyn
Old 03-20-2003, 05:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm not sure that there are any

guide lines, but blackouts can definately happen if there is heavy drinking going on. Alcoholism appears to take a heavy toll on the memory. And I agree with lyn, my ex-alcoholic seemed to have memory lapses drunk or sober. If there is even a question as to whether or not a person is blacking out, it is a sign that there is a serious problem.
Peace,
Gabe
Old 03-20-2003, 07:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
highmtn

Angry Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Morning,

Gabe, and Lyn.....thanks for responding. I wrote a huge reply and I'll be danged if the site had logged me out. I hit post...and it ATE MY MESSAGE INSTEAD! Ooooooooooo..... not good for the blood pressure. Oh well... I got to vent, and now I feel a little lighter about it....lololol

Well, ..... SOME of my concerns/questions are about blackouts escalating to forgetful violence? It wasn't until I had smelled booze on this woman a few times after she took her breaks at work that my "uhoh" light came on. My parents were both severe alcoholics, and they died without ever seeking help. I am not sure if the brain can heal, or recover to a normal state if the person quits drinking? This friend is a heavy "closet drinker", sees no drawbacks with her lifestyle, and thinks everyone else is the one with the problems. Sound familiar? While I lived the "war" as a kid I never got to see the brain damage go full cycle with my parents since they went to their graves as heavy drinkers. Can the brain fully rebound from this if the person stops drinking?

Lyn, the "dog poop" comments are down the line of the recent oddities that have been brought up. My co-workers "WHO IS DOING THIS STUFF AT MY HOUSE?" comments bring back lots of conversations from my days growing up with alcoholics. I also know (with the insanity of drinkers) that situations can be the same, yet totally different if that makes sense? I've tried not to portray myself as a know it all just because I lived this as a kid.

My main question now is ... can these forgetful periods (if the person is upset about something) escalate into "forgetful violence" putting the people living with them in danger? My dad was extremely violent, but as he rule he remembered what he had done. I believe my friend is really experiencing the classic "black outs".

Comments?

Thanks again for taking the time to write.

Highmtn

Old 03-20-2003, 10:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Highmtn:

My husband is an alcoholic, and my father was an alcoholic (I was taken away from the home when I was 13). Both of them violent. My husband has never hit me, only pushed me, but I think he would, if I didn't have this inborn need to hide when he's violent (from doing so as a child).

When he comes in late from the garage, he is beligerent and does these dumb things. Now, I don't think he remembers exactly what he did (unless he has evidence of it, and then I'm not sure if he just assumes he must have been the one who did it) but when he wakes up the next morning, he is very (shall I go so far as to say) sorry. He acts like nothing ever happened, and is veeerrrryyy nice. If I act like nothing happened, he stays nice, and all is well. If I act mad about what he did, he puts on an attitude of "hey--whatever I did was probably deserved by whoever I did it to, so deal with it.

The really irksome thing for me is having to repeat every conversation. We watched a very "important" football game a couple of months ago. It had some very significant situations in it, that he would have loved to have talked about to his friends, and he didn't remember any of it! I had to replay the whole last quarter (and overtimes) for him! Then he "remembered" them. Drives me nuts!

Also, I have the same problem with the computer "eating" my messages and them not being posted (does anyone else?) What I do is before I send the message, I highlight it, hit Ctrl-C (copy), and then try to send it, and if it doesn't send and gets eaten, I just start over and hit Ctrl-V (paste) and I've been able to save a lot of time. Before I started doing this, I was living in frustration! :asmd:

Lyn