grateful i found this site

Old 10-26-2006, 08:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy grateful i found this site

I am having problems dealing with my husband drinking again after 10 years of sobriety I need alot of advice I have alot of shortcomings with my self
Old 10-26-2006, 08:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Welcome to SR.

A good place to start may be reading the posts above the blue line that say sticky beside them.

Have a look about and as you feel a need...post and ask questions. People who are in or have been in your shoes wil come along with replies and some sound wisdom. May get a few opinions mixed in as well...take what you need and what fits for you.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hi again! glad you started the new thread

I agree, read the stickys. Do you attend Al-Anon or any other support group? Is your husband in a program? I only ask because I don't like to assume everyone uses a 12-step approach to recovery.

So glad you are here - others have been in your situation - my AH is still drinking, so I have no experience with his sobriety/relapse.

Keep coming back!
Old 10-26-2006, 10:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovering Nicely

Angelinashoebox,
What's your story? Why did he start after 10 years of sobriety? Mine started back after over 14 years sober. Please don't blame yourself.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Im also glad you started your own thread and welcome again.

Sweetie we ALL have shortcomings, we would not be human if we did not.

You really need to remember ... You did not cause this, you can not control it and you can not cure it. His drinking is his problem and he knows this. Dont take on what is his responsibility ... you only have to work on yourself.

I cant imagine how hard it would be to watch my love one relaps after 10 years.... That has to be rough.

I look forward to getting to know you. There is alot of support here and so much wisdom.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

angelinashoebox, I can relate to your story. Let me share mine. My A started drinking and drugging three years ago after 20 years sober. He lost all perspective on his life and moved into a houseful of users. We had been married for 25 years and had raised two children. He had a couple of work injuries and went through a couple of surgeries, then his father died, and he lost his job while out of town to bury him. It was a sad chain of events that caused him to relapse. We were separated for a year and a half while he spiraled downward. He is now in rehab for the first time in his life and I can only hope it will give him the tools he needs. Please just take care of yourself during this time and learn to detach. Al-anon can help with that. Remember to take care of yourself and surround yourself with people who truly care about you and keep busy doing the things you love to do. This is what got me through. Support his sobriety, but not his drinking.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Angelina, welcome.
It must be difficult to see a loved one relapse after such a long time of sobriety. Were the two of you married when he was drinking before? Just know that there are a lot of ways you can protect yourself, mentally, physically and emotionally. I know you will hear more about that from our wise and experienced.
Take care.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

:We are all here for you !!!