Breaking Bonaduce is back this season

Old 10-22-2006, 06:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Breaking Bonaduce is back this season

For those of us that watched it last year......this series was a "trainwreck about to happen" and it was out there for all of America to watch.

Danny Bonaduce, his wife Gretchen and two small kids plus the psychologist are back and tonight is the first episode on VH1.

I've seen trailers of it and it shows how Danny is transferring his addiction. From not drinking to obsessing over Gretchen and sex and other areas in his life. He's still manic at times.

I'm gonna definetly watch this because I know how I was when I was newly sober 12 years ago and obsessed with "success"......wanting to acheive everything, to being perfect and working through that.

Plus, my xabf is now out of a 1 yr rehab that I don't believe he focused on his addictions while there, but instead just found a new one.......a girl that he met while there. And, I'm curious to see Danny's way of (hopefully) making a true recovery.

http://www.vh1.com/shows/dyn/breakin...2/series.jhtml

((hugs to you all))
Old 10-22-2006, 07:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Did anyone watch it today? That show is hard to stomach. Seeing Gretchen having to endure that life is terribly frustrating. I wish others embarking on a life with an addict could see that show and understand what they are in for. I know it helps me to reflect on my past relationship and see how fortunate I am to not be living in that chaos anymore.

Do you think watching this show would help an active alcoholic?
Old 10-22-2006, 07:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have the cheap-o cable, so I had never seen it. But I just watched the preview you posted Girlfriend, and I have to agree with sketscher!! Wow, that was hard to watch even just that portion. It scares me just how 'big' an addiction is.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sketscher

I'm not sure on that one, sketcsher. Alcoholics pick up what they want to, when they want to. So, they may watch that show and say "Oh, I'm not THAT bad".

It took watching myself on a home videotape at my (then) 13 yr old's bday party that helped me quit for good 12 yrs ago. Very sobering thing to see and painful..to know I could be that way in front of my kids and their friends and also, do that to myself.

I get frustrated, too, watching Breaking Bonaduce becuz Gretchen is such a gorgeous lady and she puts up with SO much from Danny. Nobody is worth that. He's totally a self-absorbed, diseased person.

I think that show and Intervention (but, they show repeats alot. That's the only bummer of it) are two really good shows to watch for A's and Al Anon's.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thought I would bring this back to the top.
Nope, A's will not watch, or will talk so loud and fast no one can hear,especially them.

Even the show "My Name is Bill W" didn't help much, as the proud of it bar room drinkers said, "Well I don't hide bottles"

Thanks, Girlfriend, What time and what night.??
Old 10-25-2006, 01:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Royalty

Originally Posted by sketscher
I have serious doubts that that show would help my AH. He already talks about so-and-so's wife at work is drunk all of the time, and so-and-so's always calling in sick because he is hungover..... He sees none of this behavior in himself. We even saw the commercial for Danny's show, and AH says "wow he is messed up". I've heard him comment on many many sports figures that get busted for drugs, "what losers!" but in AH's mind, he doesn't drink ALCOHOL....he ONLY drinks BEER....He doesn't have THAT many...HE doesn't act like THAT......see where I'm going with this?

It may help an alcoholic that recognizes that they have a problem, but for the ones that are still in the dark, it wouldn't make a bit of difference to them.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I will have to confess that I was intrigued by the show. I feel dirty after watching it.......but it like a car wreck everyone rubber necks to see.

How much is real....how much is embellishment for ratings?

If it is real......his poor wife should leave him ASAP. She is beautiful, funny and can live without him.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I watch it too. I'm pretty sure he's BP too isn't he? My exabf is a dual diagnosis and this show in a strange way helps me understand his disease better. I cry for Gretchen almost every time. I can feel her pain and frustration. Kinda like having a mirror held up in front of me.

I think what you see is pretty much reality. We all remember and know the insanity that goes with this disease. Sometimes I even catch myself screaming at him during the show! Displaced anger pehaps????
Old 10-26-2006, 08:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When I watch it, i just feel for Gretchen, and know how she feels having to deal with the chaos. It makes me want to let her know she is not alone in all the craziness. Unfortunately, I think he finds some glory in the sickness of it all.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oops, sorry, hit the wrong button