I'm new here

Old 10-22-2006, 01:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm new here

I don't really know what to say, but I thought I would post anyway. My husband is an alcoholic and I told him last night that I wouldn't deal with his emotional and verbal abuse anymore. I told him that I was leaving...now I'm a little scared. I have dealt with his abuse for the past seven years and spent a year and a half in therapy learning that I am not the worthless, psychotic, low-life person he convinced me I am. I finally had the strength to realize that I am a good mother and have (for the most part) been a good wife. I guess I joined because I'm a little scared of what I have done and don't know how to hold onto the strength that I need right now.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

thestrength : you've come to a great place;I'm so glad you "found" us. Lots of wonderful people who understand just what you are going thru who share their experience,strength, and hope. It has helped me a LOT to be able to come here to share,read and post.

You sound like you have already been doing things to get you healthier. It's difficult,but now you have even more support here on this forum. I am glad you are here;keep coming back!
Old 10-22-2006, 03:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Always hopeful...

Welcome, you have found a truly great site to voice on and hear on. Lots of caring people who have been thru some troubled times, and trying to see light at the end of the tunnel, one way or another.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hang in there. The folks on this board want you to lead a happy life that is free of abuse. Do you attend Al-anon? If not, start. You will get plenty of support from people who have gone through the same things as you. If you have family and friends nearby who can be supportive, let them know you need them now. Frequently, our family and friends aren't aware of the misery we've lived with because the A in our life puts up such a good front for the public. Also, we're often ashamed to admit we're living with an abusing drunk.

Be honest about what is going on in your life and have faith. You want to get better so hold onto that thought and start taking steps to remove yourself from an abusive situation. That abuse isn't going to get better, and you've taken it for far too long.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have dealt with his abuse for the past seven years and spent a year and a half in therapy learning that I am not the worthless, psychotic, low-life person he convinced me I am.
Good for you!!!

I have no advice, just lots of smiles and warmth and hope that you'll always remember that you're not all those things he led you to believe. You have a choice, and you have so much to look forward to.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

there are so many women here in your shoes...look up some of their posts and they are sure to inspire you...i will pray for your continued strength and for hope and peace for you and your children...
Old 10-23-2006, 04:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

Welcome to Sr!!! Just know u are never alone in your struggles. You are just a click away from a place of great support. Why don't u share a little more of your story.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.... We are glad you found us.

That is such a hard position to be in, Im sorry you are having to go through it hon. But your not alone and they are all correct... we are only a click away.

I look forward to getting to know you better....
Old 10-23-2006, 09:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome. Use this place to vent, sort things out, and work through your fear. Glad you're here.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome !! You have come to the right place !!!! There are people here that understand what you are going through. My AH is still trying to make me feel like I am the one with ALL the problems, and I just moved out because of a mood swing. None of us are perfect, but we don't deserve to live the way we have been either....
Old 10-23-2006, 09:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Strength, seven years of emotional and verbal abuse is no small feat. Trust me, whatever lies ahead of you is not nearly as scary as what you've already been through. Respect yourself and prevent your children from repeating the same cycle in the future. Put a stop to the unacceptable behavior.