Notices

2 days into detox... does this get any better??

Old 10-18-2006, 03:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 days into detox... does this get any better??

i,m doing my first home detox with help from the mental heath team.....i dont have the dt,s so bad but still want to open a bottle of vodka...can anyone please help me get over this........THIS IS SOOOO HARD RIGHT NOW....
Old 10-18-2006, 03:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Daz,

Welcome!

It is very hard, but you can get through this. I'm glad that you're getting help. Try to do anything that will take your mind off things, even for a few minutes. You can read through the forums here and be inspired!
Old 10-18-2006, 08:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What got me through it was staying busy, reaching out, and reminding myself that if I took a drink I was only delaying the process but if I could just get through it I didn't ever have to do it again if I didn't choose to. So far, it's been 2 years.

Hang in there. It WILL get better and it is so worth it once you start to feel a bit better. I'm glad you have medical support there but by all means use this site as moral support. Read the stickies at the top of this board as well as the Alcoholism and the AA boards.

Big hugs to you!
Kellye
Old 10-18-2006, 08:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dazse10
i,m doing my first home detox with help from the mental heath team.....i dont have the dt,s so bad but still want to open a bottle of vodka...can anyone please help me get over this........THIS IS SOOOO HARD RIGHT NOW....
I just got through detox last week. Are they giving you ativan? It helps a lot with the discomfort, though the tradeoff is that you are expected to eventually stop taking it and it's fairly addictive itself.

anyway, yes. It does get better. For me the worst part was the nightmares(on the rare occasions I could sleep. They continued for me well past the DTs. fear not though, those go away too. Believe me, I know what you're going through and it seems like it will never end, but it will.

what made you decide to home detox? money probably(or not, just a guess), hospitals are expensive I know. If there's anyway you can get yourself into a hospital, do it. When you're an inpatient, they are far more aggressive with the meds they'll give you to alleviate some of the withdrawal.

good luck