Notices

Need to vent

Old 10-10-2006, 10:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool Need to vent

I have a 22 year old daughter that has been using cocaine and drinking for TOO many years. She has not lived at home for 4 years (while in college) and has moved home this summer after graduation. After an "incident" she commited herself to rehab and was clean and sober for 41 days and then she relapsed. We are now on day 4 but it is SO difficult as a parent to constantly show support. She attends NA meetings daily and an IOP 3x a week. My husband and I went to Al-Anon for our first time last nite. SO FRUSTRATED with this whole situtation!
Old 10-10-2006, 01:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you are seeking help for yourself.

You might also check out the Friends and Families and Nar-Anon forums on this board.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I too know how frustrating it is. My son is a 19 year old cocaine addict. He relapsed 2 weeks after rehab. It is frustrating and makes you sad and angry. Keep coming back to this board. Naranon is a wonderful organization. I see an addictions counsellor to vent about my son and believe me if I didnt have that It would drive me crazy. No one truly understand until they have an addict in there lives mostly there child.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

al-anon will really help stick with it, you'll see
Old 10-10-2006, 05:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good evening Fantaseas,

I am 30 yr old alcoholic son of two parents. I am in serious trouble right now due to a 3rd DWI. I want to tell my parents everything, but I am afraid of their reaction. In the past, my Mom has blamed my Dad for my problems. Furthermore, any arguments between my parents infuriates my Brother. He typically stops talking to me. I recently reached out to him thinking I could confide in him first and then talk to my parents. I told him I was an alcoholic. He said I was and and stated, "You don't drink every day." My parents and my Brother blame my problems with alcohol on my own desires and lack of responsibility. Their sentiments are somewhat true. When I drank, I specifically had the intention of getting drunk. Recently, I blacked out every time I drank. Anyway, as a parent, how would you expect or desire your child to approach you with such a problem. Should I ease them into full disclosure of my secret life or should I spill the beans on everything? Thanks.