Notices

Has anyone lost thier job due to drinking?

Old 10-09-2006, 04:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Has anyone lost thier job due to drinking?

I am so afraid of losing mine. I have missed so much work.

I was wondering if anyone could share their experience and what they did to change things around.

I get so depressed feeling like I am not doing anything "worthwhile" with my life. I can't take a pay cut, and really need my job - I just need some help getting my act together.....

I let work stress me out and I obsess about office politics - then I just feel like staying home and hiding from life..... UUGGHHHH!!
Old 10-09-2006, 05:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

The question isn't "have you lost a job due to drinking?" but "how long has it been since you lost a job due to drinking?"

I've lost more than one. Missing work, coming in hung over, doing a half-a**ed job, finding ways to leave early, coming back after lunch smelling like a bottle of gin.... The first job I lost because of drinking, I was only sixteen years old. I even started my own business at one point in time because I figured I'd be able to work around my drinking/drugging schedule. Guess what? It failed. I was still working for others, just freelancing, so I still had clients to interact with and deadlines to meet.

Now, you ask how we changed things around. I can only speak for me. I'm not working, per se, now, but I'm a full-time student involved in several meaningful campus organizations. I have four children, three still at home who are involved in many activities and one in college who still requires a mom to do certain things for him, an elderly mother living thirty minutes away who requires some of my time, as well as another part of my life for which I have committed time and a responsible attitude: my recovery. AA got and keeps me sober and has taught me to live in a way that I'm able to fulfill my responsibilities and be accountable. I'll bet there's a meeting near you.... and lots of Peace of Mind to be found there.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 10-09-2006, 05:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
New things have come to light

yep, only job i have ever had, only took me a month to screw it up.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I always said if I got fired because of my drinking..
I would begin AA.

I did and I did...

Once sober...I started another career
with less stress.

Blessings..
Old 10-09-2006, 06:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am really lucky not to have lost mine. I was so out of control when drinking and was really abusive to my managers and workmates.

I know without a doubt if I hadn't stopped drinking I would have been sacked.

I still cringe with shame when I recall those mornings slinking into work knowing that something bad had happened but not knowing what due to blackout.

Even when I hadn't went off on one the paranoia was still there.

I am so pleased that I can now go anywhere and know that nothing like that will happen again as long as I don't drink.

Stay sober and you will too.

D.xxx
Old 10-09-2006, 07:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

I lost three jobs in three years. Needless to say, I'm not going to make that same misake again. If I quit drinking, drinking won't jeopardize my job. It was a hard lesson, but a lesson well learned.