A bit of a contradiction

Old 10-07-2006, 05:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A bit of a contradiction

I will apologies in advance for my spelling:

Hi there

I am an addiction working, I work with people who have substance misuse issues - not a counsellor. What I do is a bit more hands on. I work with people in a one to one basis, setting goals, going to meetings with them, helping them with budgeting, working on self confidence, I listen to them and act on their needs.

I am young - im 23, everyone in my field is older than me. I finished school early went to uni - got my honours degree then did my Masters in Addiction. I am the youngest of my family, I was the youngest at uni and now at work. I am used to it, people assume Im older because I act it.

I guess why im here is that I deal with addiction 5 days a week, which I love doing however when I come home I deal with it as well. My mother drinks a bottle of vodka an evening. It is hard, in work I know what to do to help people but in my house I am the baby and have an extreme problem dealing with my mother. I am living a double life, their is two of me - the professional and the gibbering wreck. I am struggling to cope.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think lots of us do live a double life. I wonder if your moms issue is what led you to your profession. Congradulations on all your accomishments at such a young age. Don't forget to get away from all of it once in a while. We all take on a professinal persona. Even if you love your work, it will burn you out. You aren't getting refreshed at home. Thank You for the work you do!
Old 10-07-2006, 07:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks I appreciate that, just needed to get it out I suppose.

Addiction is something that is a family affair well in my family anyway. My mom has always been a heavy drinking. However, her brother recently died of blood posioning due to alcohol abuse. It was on Christmas day, and my gran (moms mom) died the following week. She has a lot of truama, I totally understand that and thats when the drinking spiralled. I am currently trying to get a flat with my partner, to seperate myself from it, she stil has my father so its not like im leaving her. But I think it will enable me to take an outside look and possibly "help" her. Or rather make suggestions to help her help herself.

After all its not like we can do it for them, tis their journey and we hope to be a compass.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TuesdayGirl
Addiction is something that is a family affair well in my family anyway. My mom has always been a heavy drinking. However, her brother recently died of blood posioning due to alcohol abuse. It was on Christmas day, and my gran (moms mom) died the following week. She has a lot of truama, I totally understand that and thats when the drinking spiralled.

You've had a lot,too...and her, to boot. Glad you are here,TuesdayGirl. Hope you stick around with us;it has helped me so much and I hope you will found the same thing true for you.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

TuesdayGirl,

Welcome to SR and this forum. I am sure you have heard that Dr.s don't treat their own family members. ?? That is because they are too close to the person. You are a professional in what you do and how you do it, but at home you are family and a loved one...as she is your loved one.... and that is too close and very emotionally involved. You already know that unless she wants help, she won't get it. It won't work unless she does it for herself, right?

Putting distance there by moving out is a very healthy step for you. Working on your own life and doing what healthy for you is what is needed. If she asks then you have the right resources for her.