Notices

Help

Old 10-04-2006, 02:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help

Dear All

I detoxed several months ago since then I have had 3 relapses,but until last night I was doing ok.

I CANT SLEEP.

I drank last night to go to sleep,I woke up this morning and felt so bad,ironically i went to a job interview and did ok(lucky im in sales!)

Then(maybe its an excuse)feeling so lost,dissapointed,thinking of my beautiful wife and how ive let herdown,I drank again.

I cant sleep,some nights none,some nights a couple of hrs restless slumber.

Im killing myself with sleeping tablets,last night I took 5 times the dose to go to sleep.

Can anyone tell me im not alone?

Thanks in advance

Matt
Old 10-04-2006, 04:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
alcohol-kicked-my butt

hey matt--glad your here--alcohol helps you fall asleep but not stay asleep--it really is not good for sleep or anything else--please be careful with these sleeping pills--my friends mother recently took six ambien and drank and died--once you quit drinking once and for all i guarantee you will sleep well again--your body will regulate itself--what pills are you taking?--you are not alone we are here--and i have this horrifying alcoholism--i am sober just abot 8 monthes and i sleep well and my health is good--and im so much more peaceful--write back
Laura
Old 10-04-2006, 05:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Many of us had to restart our sobriety...
before we finally quit.

Just keep trying

Hugs to you and your wife...
Old 10-04-2006, 07:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You are not alone Matt!

Keep reaching out! We're here for you!
Old 10-04-2006, 07:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Matt, and welcome!

It takes some of us a while to get it right, just keep trying. Every day you dont drink you are ahead. After a few days, sleep will come easier. Try to get some exercise, it helps to be physically tired at the end of the day.

Stick around and keep posting, you will find lots of friends and tons of advice here! I would not be doing as well as I am without my SR family.

Steve
Old 10-04-2006, 07:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Matt - I have had trouble staying asleep for I don't know how long, until very recently. You are certainly not alone. I cannot believe how well I sleep when I'm not drinking. It's truly one area where I can clearly see how the alcohol negatively affects my body. I used to wake up in the middle of the night, full of anxiety and regrets about drinking or whatever happened that day and was not able to return to sleep for hours.
I never took sleeping pills, but what I did do when I was awake, was try not to fight it. Don't lay in the dark panicking about how little sleep you're getting and how you can't function without x number of hours, etc. Just relax. Tell yourself, OK, I'm up, so I'm up. Read a book. Watch a movie on TV. Practice deep breathing from your abdomen.

I think once your body has a chance to start healing, sleep will come. It does take time.

((((Hugs)))))
Candy Scratch
Old 10-04-2006, 11:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Matt, I am new to recovery. I have drank almost every night for the past 10 years. Not sleeping is so frustrating. I stopped drinking in the summer for a week and had horrible nightmares and was up most of the night....sooooo I went back to drinking a little bit to help me sleep. Since I'm an alcoholic it spiraled out of control to drinking enough to pass out in bed which in my brain is called sleep. I totally understand how you feel.