Notices

Please - need help with a hangover question

Old 10-03-2006, 04:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Please - need help with a hangover question

Hi everyone

I have been drinking heavily for over a year now (second relapse in 4-5) but over the past few months, I have been cutting back because of the increasingly worsening hangovers I have been getting. I AM an alcoholic. I drank the night before last (9 beers) and then again last night (10 beers). Shortly after the 10'th beer (again, last night) I tried to eat some soup and ended up violently puking my guts out in the kitchen sink. Finally, I went to bed but as I lay there, I felt so "poisoned", sick and spacy that I was really becoming concerned that I would not make it through the night (the thought did cross my mind a few times).

Fast forward to today. I woke up all shaky and out-of-it, took an Ativan and felt, well, hungover, all day (as could be expected) but what concerns me the most is that toward the late afternoon and evening, I have been experiencing the following symptoms...

* Queasiness/sensitive stomach.
* Mild, overall "ill" feeling (my temp is 99.1 now but it goes up and down like that anyway).
* Feel like I've got poison running through me (which I do!).
* Loads of anxiety and fear along with panic from time to time.
* Feeling spacy, slightly vertigo-ish, zoned out and disconnected.
* Convinced that I have a horrible disease.
* My eyes feel all buggy/weird.
* Weird kind of lump-in-throat/tightening sensation (very mildly sore of left side when I swallow somtimes).
* Weird kind of sinus-like headache/brain numbness (hard to explain).
* Feeling bummed out and depressed.
* Mild hot-flash kind of a feeling on my skin.

Are these all normal symptoms for a hangover . I am really freaked out right now!!. Please help if you can and thank you so much!.

- Regards, BBG
Old 10-03-2006, 04:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Dopn't pick up that first one!!

indigo
Old 10-03-2006, 04:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

You really need to talk to your doctor as we are not doctors.

That being said, the symptoms you have posted are beyond the regular hangover stage, they sound like the initial stages of ALCOHOL POISONING, you ARE KILLING YOURSELF.

Just don't pick up again. There is lots of IMPORTANT information on this site, at the tops of the forums, please read the 'STICKY'S'.

There are many here who have found a way to abstain and be comfortable in their sobriety.

Maybe it's time you looked into it.

Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing, we do care.

Love and (((((to all))))),
Old 10-03-2006, 05:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I've had plenty of hangovers like that. Do they ever last more than a day?
Old 10-03-2006, 05:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When you dont drink do you wake up feeling like that? If you dont I think you might have answered your own question. Its time to stop and get help and find life sober. KJ
Old 10-03-2006, 05:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My last hangover was bad. I didn't even drink that much but felt awful for 4 days.
I felt cold, my body actually hurt - my skin and muscles felt bruised. I felt so paranoid and anxious. Very depressed etc...
I guess alcohol really is poison. Best of luck to you.
Joanne
Old 10-03-2006, 06:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

I felt like that continually toward the end. I was sick if I drank and I was sick if I didn't drink. I ached all over, well I had all of the symptoms you described above. I decided to go to the Dr.. came clean with him and started working on my recovery. I had to quit because I was killing myself.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi again

Thank you ALL so much for responding (and so fast!). I do get on a roll here from time to time and do a lot of posting about my alcohol problem (I hope noone minds). I guess what happens is that I'll quit for a few days or maybe even a week and then hit the suds again and the next day I'm back on this board posting away because I'm really terrified.

What drives me to relapse each time are the many lies that alcohol tells us. For example, after a week or more of abstinance, here is one little lie that alcohol uses to trick me into drinking again...

ALCOHOL: "Hey Pal!. Guess what?. You've gone a whole week without drinking and now your body is all healed up and recovered again and hey, you've been out getting a zillion things done today and now your all hot and thirsty so why not just treat yourself to an icey-cold one and just relax and watch a movie or something?. You've worked hard all day, gotten a lot done and you DESERVE it!."

You don't know HOW tempting this is and I fall for it EVERY time...grrrrr!!!!!.

Other than that, I'm dry for now and will probably be dry for the foreseeable future as this "last scare" really knocked the wind out of my proverbial sails and the LAST thing I feel like doing is taking a drink right now...or ever!. It only feels good for a little while after you've picked up that first drink but the price you pay is very dear indeed.

Thank you all so much and God bless!!, BBG
Old 10-04-2006, 04:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey, BBG,

Thought I would add my 2 cents. Yea, sounds very familiar. As muse said, you get where your sick with & sick without. The good news is, seems most people spring back after a few days. I'm coming off my worse WD yet, 3 nights of the sweats, f***ed up sleep, dreams I cant begin to discribe. But it does pass, and once you break through, it's a whole lot better.

Hang in there!
S
Old 10-04-2006, 04:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You don't know HOW tempting
Sure we do, we've all been there. It's what makes the early days of sobriety so difficult.

If you don't drink, and get into some type of recovery program, that little voice loses much of it's power and becomes weaker and weaker.