need opinions

Old 10-03-2006, 06:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

need opinions

18 months ago my husband downed alot of alcohol and a bottle of ambien (sleeping pills).
At the time he was taking lexapro. They believed he was depressed due to severe tmj. So bad he could hardly talk.
he was also drinking terribly.

He has come a long ways since then. He had surgery and a lot of therapy and his tmj is doing much much better.

But lately he has been having a lot of stress at work and not sleeping well. His psych prescribed lexapro and abiem.

I am so mad at them I feel like I could hit them. Why would they prescribe him a medicine he took an entire bottle of?

I do trust my husband, but the fact was that I swore I would never have it in my house again. The thought of him having it just brings back horrible memories and I cannot relax. Why would they prescribe that to someone who downed a bottle of it not even 2 years ago? I feel like going down there and screaming at them but I wouldn’t do that to my husband.
My husband says to trust him and he is not the same as he was back then. I truly believe that. I do trust him. But I just can’t get over it.

Please give me your thoughts on this as I am really bothered by this.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

acceptance is the key for me.
Your man seems to trust his doctor,and what meds he has for him.
The horrible memories,can be over-come through recovery.Do you go to al-anon?Its one great recovery program for the family and friends of alcoholics.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't trust his dr. thats my problem. I don't think she cares to take the time to try to help him. I think she writes out prescriptions to anyone and everyone that she sees. Maybe they talk less if they are drugged??

that's my honest opinion of her.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Talk to his dr

My abf kept going to ERs and dr for pills. When he would eat one bottle he would go to another place and get more. Finally I had to step in and be the mean one and spill the beans. I had me a talk with all the drs and ERs he had been going too. Now they will not prescribe him anything that they no he will get addicted too. If he needs pain meds they give him like Tylenol 3 or Ibuprofen....this makes him so made he want even get them filled. It got to where he was making up stuff just go to dr and he has no insurance and now owes no telling how much at the hospitals around here. They cant turn him away but they can refuse to give him meds since he was an addict.

You might want to have a talk with his dr and just tell the dr what he does with them. Then let the dr make the decision what to do.

Good luck.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Is his doctor aware of the incident that occured 18 months ago?
Old 10-03-2006, 08:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My AH took an overdose of prescription medicine with a lot of alcohol, also. His Dr. said that from now on, any medication that he needs should be administered by another person...in other words, you keep the bottle and give him a sleeping pill when needed. Once they have a history of trying to overdose, they shouldn't have control of the pills. Just a thought.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

my abf went and got some pain pills and Xanax and prmoised me that I would have control over there but then when it all came down to it he calls the cops on me because I wouldnt let him have them and the bottles. The cops said that I couldnt take his meds because they were in his name. The time he had to go to ER to get more pills to get off pills so he wouldnt go into seizure the dr told him that he was realeasing them to me. That I would have control over them and my abf agreed. I then told the dr about the time he called the cops on my because I would not give them to him and the dr said if he called them this to have them call him at home or the ER. This time I had to dr to back me up but it never worked with just my abf agreeing to it. He always cussed and fussed or found where I had them hid until he got them back.
If you do this make sure the dr explains it to the addict that you have control and or he dont get them. If he tries to get them or abuse you call his dr. Talk to the dr and be honest with them. They are not to give them to a patient if they have a history of drug incidents.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

dh actually gave them all to me to keep without me even asking. i out them away and he hasnt ever used them.

his dr should know what happened. it is in his records there. but i wouldnt doubt that she didn't look.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

From experience, if you go to an emergency room for something, often your own doctor doesn't even know unless you tell them yourself.