ABrother in Hospital in Mental Floor

Old 09-28-2006, 06:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

ABrother in Hospital in Mental Floor

My ABrother's roommate kicked him out a little over a week ago. I think he had given him a couple of "2nd chances" and finally put his foot down after finding numerous empty bottles and a crack pipe in his bedroom. The roommate is in recovery and on probation himself and has been clean about 2 yrs., and so he doesn't need that mess & temptation. Well, this time we (Mom & me) didn’t call around the local hospitals, we didn’t call his roommate bugging him to see if he’d heard anything. We prayed, knowing sooner or later we’d hear from ABrother. And yesterday he did call my Mom to say he was OK and in the hospital. He told her that his doctor would be calling her later that evening. In the past she would have sat around waiting for the doctor’s call. Last night she came over to my house, as we’d previously planned, for dinner and then on to my DS’s ball game, and both of us “obsessed” very minimally. And guess what? There was no call, either on the voice mail or caller ID from a doctor or hospital. We are considering doing a Marchman Act on him again. His health is so poor that if he drinks or drugs for any length of time, he ends up in the hospital with pancreatitus and such. Mom found a friend in her widow's group that also has a A son, and they're planning on going to an alanon meeting together this Friday!
Old 09-28-2006, 06:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

sounds like you and your mom are doing well in your recovery. also great that your mom has found someone that she can "relate" to and hope she finds the al-anon meeting helpful!
Old 09-28-2006, 10:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Prayers for you,your mom and brother!!

You two are a great example of recovery in action! Thank you for sharing this.

Hope your brother soon gets the help he needs.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow, I'm really impressed with the way you and your mom handled everything- especially keeping your plans and not waiting around for the call that never came! You saved yourselves the trouble of feeling the resentment of being let down again. I (willingly) walked into that wall a thousand times. At least your brother is in a safe place at the moment and I too hope he gets the help he needs. Glad you and your mom are doing so well and it's great that she found a meeting buddy and someone she can relate to as well.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My Mom and her friend went to the family group meeting, and found it helpful. She said my brother looks worse than he’s ever been, bloated and really unrecognizable. She said he looked worse than the times he was near death from pneumonia and pancreatitus. The meeting helped her. The group leader assured her of all the stuff many of you know of - it’s not your fault they drink, etc. My Mom also stressed to me how glad she was that I didn’t go, my DS had another ball game and I went to that, though I had considered going with her. I have to put my family first. I’ve been through the crazy rescuing with him, and now I have to focus on my own family. But I would like to find an al-anon meeting nearby for myself.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey there Mama, I'm so sorry your brother is causing your family so much trouble. I think it's awesome how you are able to be supportive of everybody but still take care of your needs. That's wonderful recovery.

I'm praying for your brother, and for all of your family.

Mike
Old 09-30-2006, 08:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
cmc

Hi,
I am familiar with the Marchman Act... when you filed the last time did it help? For some this can be a wake up call and many will get into treatment. Going to alanon is one of the best things for the family... it sounds like you are detaching and letting go of him. Remember that alanon will provide many more practical tools for you to use....have you looked online for a list of meetings? Keep up the good recovery!