Notices

Hello everyone! A few concerns

Old 09-25-2006, 09:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello everyone! A few concerns

Hello everyone...i am new to this site. I have recently admitted that i have a problem with alcohol and have decided to take steps to stop drinking. My biggest fear as of right now is i've been reading all these sites on alcohol withdrawal and i keep reading about DT and how stopping cold turkey can be life threatening and it's really scaring me! I have been drinking too much off and on for the past five years or so...although in the past couple of years i have been drinking very regularly, five to six days a week, 8-12 (light...not that THAT really matters) beers a night, sometimes more, sometimes less. There are periods where i have gone for a week or two without drinking, but i always fall back into it. It has always affected my schooling and i'm finally dealing with the fact that it's not lack of interest or anything other than drinking that's causing me to fail out or withdraw after doing poorly for the semester. Right now i feel kind of shaky or restless and my anxiety is increased (i have anxeity disorder) and my mind feels like it's racing around...i'm also irritable and just annoyed at everything in general right now. Anyway i just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. Thanks!
Old 09-25-2006, 10:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Hello and welcome to SR

As far as the fear of DTs...you say you have gone a week or so without alcohol. I think you would be safe as far as such a risk is concerned.

as far as ...
i have anxeity disorder
that is something that alcohol can bring out more or hide from sight but still have it be there.
Once you stop, it can slow or go away...or it can remain. If I were you, I would look to seeing someone about ways to deal with the anxiety...with or without stopping the alcohol. One can bring out the other...anxiety could bring out a desire to drink and/or the drinking could bring out the anxiety.
In all cases... any changes we make, we would be wise to see a Dr for a check up and share our situation so we get the best treatment available...sound advise being the best that can be offered.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovering perpetual kid...

I'm with Best on this one, you'd probably be ok, but it is always best to consult your physician... Your Doctor can help support you and make the process easier and deal with other issues you have mentioned. But, I applaud you for cooming forward and making the positive steps you are... Keep coming back, posting etc. You are not alone.

Hang loose, Doc.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome!..

I also found that alcohol sapped my potential,
as you mentioned.

Once I stayed sober for 3 or so months
my mind cleared. My depression also fled.

AA is where I learned how to stay sober and
enkoy it!

Take care...