Notices

Hello!

Old 09-24-2006, 08:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello!

I just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm Onlydreamin and I am the mother of a young son who is slowly destroying himself with drugs. Both his father and I have done almost everything possible to help him, yet nothing seems to work. He's gone to counsellors, social workers, we've had family counselling, and he's currently been diagnosed as a dual diagnosis (both depression and substance abuse). We have holes in our drywall and I've had to call 911 twice. He treats us horribly, really, calling us names, etc. I know it's the drugs talking, but it's really hard to keep afloat at times. We alternate between wanting to throw him out of the house to knowing that he'd end up on the streets with no help at all if we did that. I'm just not sure what to do anymore.

Thanks for letting me vent, and I'd like to congratulate everybody here who has found or is trying to find sobriety.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Weelcome to SR!

I am soo sorry to see this situation.
I went thru it for years.

I suggest you read here and post when you are ready.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/nar-anon/

Blessings to you and your family
Old 09-24-2006, 08:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome and you have come to a wonderful place.
Your are not alone in your fight. Just take care of yourself even though it hurts to see your son like this. He is the only one that can help himself at this moment. Everyone used to tell me when he hits rock bottom he will get help and that is so true. It is a long struggle till he gets to that rock bottom and all you do is be there for him as much as you can but hes the only one that can get help.

My prayers and thoughts are with you. Just hang in there and dont let it get you down.
Welcome and this is a wonderful place with wonderful people.
Hope your day goes great!!!
Old 09-24-2006, 09:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovering perpetual kid...

Onlydreamin, how old is your Son? Remember, there is a difference between helping and enabling... Do what you need to do to get your Son the help he needs. Don't "love him to death..."

Hang loose, Doc.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Trying not to enable

Originally Posted by BuDoc
Onlydreamin, how old is your Son? Remember, there is a difference between helping and enabling... Do what you need to do to get your Son the help he needs. Don't "love him to death..."

Hang loose, Doc.
I'm really trying not to enable, Budoc. My son is eighteen. It's really hard seeing him suffer like this. I know he eventually has to hit bottom, but I hate watching it happen. What I basically do is try to get him the resources he needs to make a recovery, but he's not very compliant, and I can't do anything about that.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for your support, everybody. I certainly will visit the Nar-Anon section of this forum. You people are great!
Old 09-24-2006, 01:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recovering perpetual kid...

Onlydreamin, my thoughts and prayers are with you, your Son and family... It is so hard to watch someone self-destruct. Never give up hope. I'm sure we are all well aware though that you can't help anyone until they are ready and willing. But, I am glad that the people who loved and cared for me never gave up...

Hang loose, Doc.