Notices

Advice for an Addict with Gambling Issues

Old 09-21-2006, 04:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice for an Addict with Gambling Issues

I am not sure if this is the correct forum to ask but my 20 yo AS is getting ready to enter a halfway house after 72 days of sobriety. He suffers from cross addictions one of which is gambling. He owns a laptop computer that the halfway house WILL allow him to have. My question is - is this asking for trouble since this is where he did almost all of his gambling - on internet sites.

I am having trouble seeing any benefit to having his laptop with him at this point in his recovery. Any thoughts to share on this? I know it is HIS life and I am certainly not making the decision of whther he gets his laptop or not - I am just trying to find out if this is a direction I can advise him against (or get his rehab counselors to make him realize this could be a trigger as he is in rehab for one more week before discharge.)

Thank you.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

(or get his rehab counselors to make him realize this could be a trigger as he is in rehab for one more week before discharge.)

I think that would be the best way.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome,
he knows that he did his gambling online.He knows that he may has access to a lab-top,while he is there.His choice to decide.
All i know for sure,is that when i took my hands off anothers recovery,and focused on my own,my life began to change.I found peace,in my life.Looking over anothers shoulders,to make sure everythings ok,and nothing is in the way of anothers recovery,drove me up the ever loving wall.Because lets face it,there will always be some form of temptation,out ,there.Always.And everywheres.And i cant as a human being keep up with all the temptations out there.,trying to block them.To leave another to make their decisions for themsleves.And pray for them,that they make good decisions for themselves.To let go,and let God,
My prayers for you both.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trying to do the right thing.

Bump .......!

For a friend...
Old 09-22-2006, 02:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It doesnt sound a great idea.. gambling and booze addictions really do suck..

There is some software that you can install on a PC that will block access to online gambling sites. You can also send emails to the online bookies requesting accounts are closed and you are excluded. This means from any PC he cant get acccess. Why dont you and maybe counsellor discuss this with him before he goes. If he does it.. it shows he really wants to stop...which is required to get going..(still aint easy). Id really recommend he
reads a book listed below as well.

Heres the stuff I have used over last couple of months...to try and beat three "problems/compulsions" (booze/gambling/drugs)

-soberrecovery.com
-gamcare:
http://www.gamcare.org.uk/
Its a UK based org, but theres a lot of support on there in the forums/chat rooms..
Including for families/friends of gamblers. Plenty of concerned mums on there.(including US folks)

This also details the blocking software..

-self exclusion from bookies
-replacing bad gambling/drinking time with positive time:
for example exercise, time with family, decorating....anything
-smartrecovery.org - attending online meetings ..working through training various tools available. (gambling,booze,drugs anything really )

-reading following books ( number of "lightbulb" moments reading these!) :
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Control Alcohol
Overcoming Compulsive Gambling (Alex Blaszczynski )