Notices

New here - What did you tell your doctor?

Old 09-18-2006, 06:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy New here - What did you tell your doctor?

Hello -

I am new here and this is my first post. I've been drinking for years and it has increased alot in the past several years (bottle of wine or two a night).. I've started to acknowledge that I have a problem and am concerned about what I have done to my health.. I want so desparately to quit and be a normal woman...

I was wondering if anyone had mentioned their drinking to their doctor and what types of tests/results came of it? I have been getting pains in my right ribcage and think my liver is wearing out!!

I have learned so much reading this website and look forward to hearing back from someone...
Old 09-18-2006, 07:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

The best thing we can tell our Dr is the whole truth.

I had not gone to a Dr when I was drinking but when he asks now, I do tell him of my past and how long I have been free of alcohol.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

My health was becoming increasingly worse. I had high blood pressure, was vitamin deficient, and had chronic bladder infections. I finally decided I needed to quit and made an appointment to talk to my Dr. I told him I was drinking to much and wanted to quit. He really didn't bat any eye. He ran some blood work to check my liver and suggested AA. Luckily my blood work turned out okay and AA has worked for me. I'm happy to say I am in good health today and all of my health problems have subsided.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Tell them the truth....you will all benefit from this...
Old 09-18-2006, 08:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Keeper of the Stars

Red face

Healthy Heart----

Honesty
Openness
Willingness

The formula for getting clean and staying clean!
Old 09-18-2006, 08:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Congratulations for seeking answers to your drinking.

Alcoholism is a disease and it is progressive.

I suggest you get more factual info

My favorite book on alcoholism is
"Under The Influence"
and it has a sequel..."Beyond The Influence"

Both can be ordered from Amazon...

Glad to see a new member...we do understand and you are not alone.

Blessings...
Old 09-19-2006, 12:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

hi, healthyheart -

I was just in your shoes a couple of weeks ago. I went to the doc because the members in my home fellowship said that after drinking as long as I ddi, and as hard as I did, I ran the risk of severe withdrawals for quitting cold turkey.
So I went - and the doc, whom I'd never met before, was shocked that I drank as much as I did and had a 'clear' liver panel, and no convulsions or other effects.
I'm told that there are some amazingly dangerous things that can happen ... and since this is a program of 'rigorous honesty', there's nothing better than the truth.
Thanks -
barb
Old 09-19-2006, 12:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trying to do the right thing.

The truth ...unless they will not be able to help you to the full extent that you may need...!

Welcome n Good Luck ...at the Drs...
Old 09-19-2006, 04:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Find a GOOD doctor and tell him/her the truth! You will be better if you don't mask anything! The more they know the more they can help you.

GP
Old 09-19-2006, 09:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

tell the doctor the truth, I went to the doctor around the beginning of August cause I knew my drinking had progressed and couldnt quit on my own, so she put me on Campral which is supposed to help you not want to drink and you are supposed to combine with a support group of some kind and they did blood work for vitamin deficiencies, being anemic and Hepatitis A,B and C and results came back that my vitamin B12 was very low, but thank god my liver was ok , no hepatitis and I am not anemic.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Simply the truth

Go well

Kevin
Old 09-19-2006, 04:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

i have felt the same pains you are describing before. i have not been to a doc about it yet tho... will soon. i did start taking milk thistle tho, which is a supplement for liver health. the pains went a way a bit... so i dunno.

but that's just my personal experience, i don't know a whole hell of a lot about it really...

you should go to the doc anyway tho...
Old 09-20-2006, 03:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Dom
Inspired

It was tough, but I finally told my Dr. the truth. He didn't judge me at all, and I felt great afterwards.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I too have had the liver pain and have taken liver tonics containing milk thistle.
Something called "Beta Food" can be gotten from Naturopath's. It is beet leaves, juice, all in a little tablet. It's great stuff. It actually cures morning sickness. I know this for a fact since it worked for me during both my pregnancies. My Chiropractor/Naturopath started me on it. He said that Morning sickness comes from the buildup of hormones, etc. in the liver and the liver can't process all of it. It is truly a miracle herb. Not many know about it since it isn't a "drug" tha a bunch of money can't be made on.
Yep, anyone who's been mean to their liver should do something nice and find some Beta Food.