Notices

Newbie...VictoryLee...Good to be here

Old 09-13-2006, 08:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie...VictoryLee...Good to be here

Hi, I am new here. My namie is VictoryLee, but Victory is fine, too. I am looking for some help in getting off of xanax. I have been on this horrid drug for over 20 years. My highest dose was 10mgs a day. I have tapered down to 6 and 1/2 mgs., but it is getting harder and harder. I have heard about the Ashton method, but then I have also heard bad things about valium, so I really don't know what to do. I was hoping to find some answers from someone here. I am a 66 year old wife, mother and grandmother of 3. I would like to get off of this drug before Altzheimers kicks in.

Thanks for listening,
Victory
Old 09-13-2006, 10:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Victory, welcome to SR. There are many members here who have overcome addiction to various drugs and living in recovery. Join the people on the substance abuse list, there will probably be someone who has overcome Xanax that can post back to you. It might not happen right away, so please be pateint. We all try to help each other where we can here, its amazing. You can get specific tips on a specific aspect of going of a drug; you can also get tips on carpet cleaning if thats what you need that day! And there is lots of encouragement too.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Victory!!! Welcome. Great place for help here. My drug of choice is alcohol, so not much help here, but others will be along. Congrats for taking a step to do something about your addiction.
AA or NA might be something to consider,also. I attend AA and it encompasses addiction to drugs as well. Like here but face to face.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Victory Lee! I love your name!

Have you talked to your doctor about this? I'd start there and I know you'll find tons of support here.

Welcome!
Old 09-13-2006, 11:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Victory!

By His Blood is right. Coming off of xanax can be deadly. I would definately talk to my doctor. I detoxed off of methadone and xanax, but I done it in a medical detox. I stayed there for 10 days. They gave me meds to help me safely detox. My advice would be to definately talk to your doctor, so he can point you in the safest direction!!

Hang in there, my friend! It can definately be done!!
Old 09-13-2006, 01:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've talked with my doctor and he is willing to give me a "few" valium to help with the taper. How would that work???
When you say you de-toxed in a medical facility, did you taper slowly...were you on a large amount of drugs.? I thought getting de-toxed in a hospital or center didn't work for people on benzos? It would take too long. Did you find that you were okay after what you had been through? What other drugs did they give you? Sorry, not trying to be nosy, but there is always so much conflicting information out there, that you get confused..at least I do.

Thanks,
Victory
Old 09-13-2006, 01:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If that is what your doctor recommends, then I'm sure it will work out just fine. I'm glad that you talked to him about it! I would do just what he recommends!!

Hugs,
Alissa
Old 09-13-2006, 02:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

just glad you are here