Notices

Almost but Didn't

Old 09-12-2006, 09:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Almost but Didn't

Hi All,
Well I have made it three days without drinking- I got off work at 9 last night and I really wanted a drink and was going to stop and get some wine- but i didn't I went home and took some movies back to the video store, thinking I would stop and get some then- well my son went with me - so I didn't stop- we then get home and hubby and son decided they wanted nachos so I thought- ok this is good- I can leave and get some while I am out- well son went with me again- anyway needless to say I wanted some really bad- but I didn't give into the temptation-even though I really wanted to.
Guess what I need to know is how do the rest of you cope- when you really want that drink, and you really want to give into temptation- what do you do instead- any ideas would greatly help- I did wake up well rested and very alert and happy- so that was a good sign I think.
Thanks in advance,
recoveryforme
Old 09-12-2006, 09:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I use AA as my recovery program.

Glad you stayed in focus..you did great!

Blessings..
Old 09-12-2006, 10:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Way to go! You are on your way!

When I need a drink, I come here. I read books on recovery and alcoholism. I drink lemonade or limeade with mint as my "substitute"

Hang in there...you are doing all the right things!
Old 09-12-2006, 11:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I usually go for a walk for as long as the desire is really pulling since I just can't be in my house.

Have you thought of making a cost/benefit chart? You can make it really fast just to have something to look at and add to it as time goes by. Essentially you list all the things that are negative about drinking and all the things that are positive about being sober. On the SMART website there are 2 other sections but it's good to just get started with the obvious GOOD/BAD list. I'm planning to make a little one to take with me on vacation this weekend so I have something concrete to look at if I get jumpy. I hope it helps you.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I FAILED AGAIN- after three days I had 4 little bottles of wine last night- and of course fell asleep on the couch, had heartburn, and threw up this morning- why can't I beat this? I'm scared that I am going to lose my family- even though my husband drinks too- but I do sneak it, and I am sorry for doing so- I am going to a social reception tonight and alcohol will be served- so how do I resist the temptation- I am beginning to think I will never get through this- and I post here, but feel as though everyone will hate me for drinking.. I don't want to be an alcoholic
Old 09-13-2006, 09:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

None of us planned or wanted to be an alcoholic.
Living sober is a blast!

I hope you can find your way to finding out.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

((((recoveryforme))))) I can sense your anguish. Certainly no one here will hate you for drinking. We are all just happy to see you posting and pray that you will give it another go. I have relapsed a few times since seriously attempting to stop, but I am NOT GIVING UP and I try to listen very closely to myself to figure out why I gave in each time. This time, for me, I know that "the voice" will insist "oh one more time won't kill you - you can stop again".

This time I am not listening. I know that last time will lead to another last time and another, until my liver will be toast and my kids will have to watch me die from this sickness. I won't do that to them.

I'm sending you big hugs with the hope that you find the strength to stop drinking. At the reception, keep guzzling soda with lemon or lime. It "looks" like a drink. It feels like a drink. Keeps your hands and lips busy. Talk a lot with people and fill your hands with hors d'oeuvres when you're not holding your soda. I think a big part of this is some sort of oral fixation (my own warped theory).

And please keep posting and coming back here because I think if you keep reaching out and you keep trying, you will find success.

Candy Scratch
Old 09-13-2006, 04:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have also relapsed a few times, most recent was yesterday , drank a lot of beer- not even sure how much I lost count and I feel sick today, physically and upset with myself but I am going to keep trying. I think normally for some people it takes several attempts before they get it at least that is what I have heard, so don't feel bad many of us have relapsed. Just keep on trying.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by recoveryforme
I post here, but feel as though everyone will hate me for drinking.. I don't want to be an alcoholic

Nobody will hate you. I find it really hard heading home from work too. There are a lot of open air bars beside my work that I have to pass to catch the train. Watching everyone relaxing with a glass of wine can really put me in a downer at times - although it's not nearly as bad as it used to be.

I did more or less the same as the others, Meetings, reading my Thought for The Day book or the BB. Eating something sweet with a nice cup of tea or coffee also took the notion of me. Plus I would phone friends who'd been where I'd been.

A guy at a meeting recently said that he wanted to thank 3 people for helping him get sober: Bill W, Doctor Bob and Alexander Graeme Bell. Using the phone has been a lifesaver on may occasions for me.

Thinking bout you.

Take care.
D.xxx