Courage to Change Sept 10 - DENIAL

Old 09-12-2006, 05:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Courage to Change Sept 10 - DENIAL

Courage to Change ODAT in Al-Anon II 9/10

My denial was so thick when I came to Al-Anon that I didn’t even know there were alcoholics in my life. Al-Anon helped me feel safe enough to look at the truth. As my denial began to lift, I was horrified at the lies I had told myself and others.

But I went from one extreme to the other and became a compulsive truth teller. It became my mission to inform anyone who would listen about what was really happening. I labeled this “honesty,” but I was actually expressing my anger and scorn for the alcoholic—and crying out for help.

Al-Anon has shown me that my view of a situation is only the “truth” as seen from my tiny corner of the universe. I can’t undo past denial by blaming the alcoholic for having a disease that has affected both our lives, or by bitterly insisting that I now know the real truth. But I can forgive my extreme responses to extreme situations, knowing that I did the best I could at the time. Today I can be honest and still be gentle with myself.

Today’s Reminder

When I stop worrying about how others see things and focus on myself, I gain more serenity than I have ever known. I cannot control the disease of alcoholism, but I can step away from its grip by honestly examining my motives and feelings.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster.”

Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 09-12-2006, 05:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

When I stop worrying about how others see things and focus on myself, I gain more serenity than I have ever known. I
HOLY moly. This has been a simple yet huge life lesson for me. I spent hours, days at a time trying to figure out how someone else felt or what they might be thinking.

WhenI got out of the mind reading business, I found I had all sorts of free time to think about what I was thinking and feeling. What a blessing!

(please note. This was NOT as easy as I make it sound. )