Notices

Strength For Tomorrow

Old 09-10-2006, 11:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Strength For Tomorrow

To all of you that are so supportive on SR, I need your help. For those of you that are Christians, please add me to your prayer list. I have only been sober a few days, and now I face going back to work tomorrow, which is my biggest challenge in not drinking. We go out once a week or so and just get plastered for the most part. I like feeling wanted, but I know I cannot go out with this crowd any longer. I need the strength to say no. Unequivicably, no. Alcohol has done nothin but screw up my life. I have never had so many marital problems, financial problems and even a couple of problems with the law, which is totally out of character for me. Please pray for me to have strength to once and for all bow up my back and say no to these folks and keep saying no, until they don't invite me anymore.

Thank all of you for your help and support, I am going to try to post often to keep you updated. Thank you for your praters and support.

L.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Brainiac,

I will absolutely send prayers your way.

One of the hardest things about recovery is the choices we have to make. You're facing a tough choice right now, but you know what you need to do and are going to do it. That's what it takes to stay sober.

And, in my opinion, saying 'No' is sufficient. Don't let yourself be put on the defensive. Say 'No' and move on and you'll be just fine.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Exclamation

Originally Posted by 51anna
One of the hardest things about recovery is the choices we have to make. You're facing a tough choice right now, but you know what you need to do and are going to do it. That's what it takes to stay sober.

And, in my opinion, saying 'No' is sufficient. Don't let yourself be put on the defensive. Say 'No' and move on and you'll be just fine

Absolutely right on advice.. I believe sobriety is more about learning to make good choices for yourself instead of bad ones. Hanging out with people who drink/use is in NO WAY a good choice infact it just plain sucks!!

Old 09-10-2006, 12:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

even those of us on a diferant spiritual path are wishing you well.
by the way,dont tempt fate by surrounging yourself with users.no God will save me from dancing with the devil.
it is a choice i make and live with the results
Old 09-10-2006, 01:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Prayers coming your way

I did give up my drinking buddies to stay sober.
and found new sober friends in AA.

Blessings..
Old 09-10-2006, 07:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trying to do the right thing.

Yep i just learned that one the hard way...I met my first new friend ...and her b/f is useing ....So i just had to not hangout even with her...!

I just put my faith in Recovery and something thats right WILL come along, for sure...! as its out there, we've just got to reach for it ...Life that is...!
My prayers to you...xXx...!
Old 09-10-2006, 07:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

adding you to the list! hang in there. one day at a time.

you know, you can always resort to the medical reasons excuse if you need to. there are many meds--heart etc. not just antidepressants--that, if you are on them, you are not allowed to drink. just an idea to keep in your back pocket, should you need it.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Dreamz do come true!!!

Heya Brainiac,

Congratulations on your time sober, thank-you for asking for help because it isn't always easy. Keep posting and keep us posted (haha the overuse of the word posted made me giggle - lame I know!!!)

I'll pray for you!!!

Love Dreamz
Old 09-10-2006, 11:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've prayed for you, and I know that more people than just us posting are. I know that this board prayed for me when I was floundering and started posting here. Thanks to everyone! I am finding my way and there is no reason but God that I have managed to do so well in such a small amount of time. Saying no is a good start, but for me what is the hardest is when I am really frustrated by a problem. I have ten days and hopefully I will manage to keep this miracle going for myself and help others manifest it in their life! And hold it in my heart the next time something ticks me off!

Old 09-11-2006, 12:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'll include you in my prayers.

But remember that sobriety comes before work. If you need too you should consider changing job, if you think it's to big of a risk for you.

Good luck!
Old 09-11-2006, 05:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You folks are awesome. I read your posts this morning and it was so touching. Thank YOU !! So much for thinking of me and praying for me.

I am at Soberdate 4 and feeling stronger than ever. Tonight everyone goes out for Monday night football and I have already resolved myself to say no thanks and leave it at that. I need new friends that do not drink.

I heard something funny I want to share with you. This was on the sitcom "The War at Home". The main character was concerned that his son was going to break up with a girl and that he would lose her dad as a friend. the line was, "at my age it is easier to make another kid, than a new friend."
I thought that was funny. It just reminded me of that when I said that I needed new friends that don't drink.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good thought. I have considered it, we will see how these next few weeks go. If I don't stop drinking I would eventually lose my job from attendance issues after a night out.