Notices

Hello everyone

Old 09-09-2006, 10:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking Hello everyone

I'm a brand new recovering addict. I've got 2 weeks tomorrow clean from cocaine and almost 1 week from alcohol. Howdy! I've been attending NA meetings and have a sponsor. I'd appreciate any and all advice that you can give, this is all very new to me. I don't think I've been sober this long in years. Here's to a new life!
Old 09-09-2006, 11:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome...

coke was my demon...

listen to your sponsor..be honest...

I have almost a year clean and life has never been sweeter

one day at a time...

J.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome to SR. You'll find lots of good info here and it's a great place to get things off your chest. So many people are so very caring and loving.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey, you've really got it going. I' also in NA, though my drug of choice was different. Didn't take me long to realize that a drug is a drug, and alcohol is a drug.

SR is a great supplement to meetings. Glad you are here. Keep coming back, and work it.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wecome to SR, you are doing great, my drug of choice is alcohol, but I have used cocaine and know what it is like, but I was never addicted to it I only did it a few times, but my husband when he was young was so addicted to cocaine his parents had to put him in a rehab center and he no longer does it and he rarely drinks, maybe once every six months he has one drink, but what happened with him-he was aroung 19 or 20 and now he is 36.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi im Sharon and Im an Alcoholic.

Welcome to SoberRecovery.

You will meet many new caring understanding members in here all traveling the same road of recovery learning from each other to stay clean and sober one day at a time by sharing their own experiences, strengths and hopes.

There are many levels of recovery in here...beginning with the first timers...or new comers all the way to the old-timers. All of us have something to offer each other. Thats where the wisdom and hope comes in.

Stick around and read for urself the miracles that happen everyday as members learn to stay sober and clean by following the steps provided to us in our recovery programs.

Good luck and welcome.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome! Congratulations on your clean/sober time!

You asked for some advice so here is a little bit from me:

1. Keep going to meetings whether you feel like it or not. Invest as much time in your recovery as possible because you are worth it!

2. Use your sponsor. Talk often and honestly to them. Listen to them even if you don't like what they are telling you.

3. Don't hold stuff in. I know for me opening up and letting other people know what I was thinking and feeling is difficult. Even at 2 years sober I still struggle with this and I pay the price. Just the act of getting something that is bothering you out in the open whether it be posting it here, telling your sponsor or a close-mouthed friend or sharing in a meeting takes away a lot of the power of that problem. Plus you get the benefit of hearing other takes on the situation which may include things you never thought of.

4. Look for similarities in people's stories and not the differences. Although we all come from different backgrounds and have different stories most of what we feel and think is just not that unique.

Ok, that is all I can think of for now!

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 09-10-2006, 07:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hiyas Brightside and welcome!!!!

WTG on your sober days!!!! Thats fantastic. Coke was my favorite choice.....which meant I wanted a cold beer too, when I couldnt get the coke anymore, I moved on to crack etc. Been off the drugs for almost 2 years now, Alcohol is still my daily struggle.

Stay strong!!!!
Liss