Notices

Eye twitching - is this a withdrawl thing?

Old 09-07-2006, 10:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wink Eye twitching - is this a withdrawl thing?

My eye has been twitching on and off for the past 3 days. It doesn't hurt, just annoying... could this be a withrawl thing? It has been.... 10 days sober for me.

It couldn't be anything serious, could it?

My husband says that I am a hypochondriac... every time we quit drinking, I start thinking things are wrong with me... BUT - I am so not making this eye twitch thing up!!!

Anyone have input, or can relate?
Old 09-07-2006, 10:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hahha.. well, it probably is a withdrawal related tick.
How annoying!! I'm happy for you that it's the only tick you have. I'm no doctor but I remember all kinds of weird things happening to me that freaked me out. My stomach would NOT stop growling... and it was loud! I was sure I had finally burnt my poor stomach out with all the tequila and scotch whisky!!

Try to relax behind your clean time and feel very very good because you've gotten past the worst now... That pink cloud should arrive over your head any minute now and you will feel good beyond imagination!!!

Congratulations on your 10 days.. time for a little exercise maybe? I know the more I think about my eye twitches the more they irritate me!
Old 09-07-2006, 10:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Wishing I could be good!

I don't know because I have had this happen and I had not quit drinking. it did it like for an entire month and the cause was eye strain. Do you work on a computer a lot? Also, i have a friend and hers was doing that not too long ago for a couple of weeks and she does not drink very much at all and when she does it is not that much to even worry about. I highly doubt if it is serious. Honestly, I would not worry too much about it although it is a weird and abnormal feeling. Relax. I am not saying that it is not a withdrawl symptom I am just giving you my opinion. I hope it goes away soon. I know how you feel. Everyone thinks that I am a hypochondriac. LOL.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Try taking calcium/magnesium supplements along with a b complex and multiviatmin for a week or two and see if it goes away. See whfoods.org for more info on vital vitamins and minerals our nervous system often is in short supply of--especially when long term drinking is involved...
Old 09-07-2006, 11:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

That is funny...the same thing happened to me when I got clean! my right eye would twitch on and off and at first I thought it was funny, but then after a month of it, I got annoyed.....it eventually stopped, but I can't really say exactally when....I just noticed one day that it hadn't twitched in a long time...

I thought I was the only wierd one out there...
Old 09-07-2006, 11:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi jc!

Boy, do I know how annoying those eye twitches can be!

Have you been sleeping well since you quit? The twitches always happen to me when I'm stressed and not getting enough sleep. I googled all over the internet about it once, and most sites say the tics are usually stress related.

I hope it goes away soon--

Take care,
Jane
Old 09-07-2006, 11:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
cmc

Eyelid twitching could be caused by alot of things... if it continues it might be a good idea to see a dr. In my case I think it was just stress, and I had plenty of that when this was happening to me.
I was told by an optician to drink tonic water (plain with nothing added!!!!) and it works!!! Diet or regular with sugar is fine. I just sip it through the day every 2-3 hours and ......bada-boom-bada-bing! No more of those nasty twitchies! I have grown to like it...hmmmm I am going to have some now.
I don't like to recommend things, that are of a medical nature or that have not been tested but this is just soda with quinine in it.
Once again, anything to do with your eyesight should not be ignored if it continues or gets worse.
I hope it helps!
Old 09-07-2006, 06:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i get this too. and have had it at least twice in my 45 days sober. it comes from lack of sleep and/or caffeine. stress sometimes too but usually it's caffeine with me. it will pass.

take care of yourself and congratulations on not drinking!
Old 09-08-2006, 07:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Wishing I could be good!

Well, there you go. Lots of interseting feedback. If this happens to me again.I am doing the tonic water :-)
Old 09-08-2006, 07:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I had that happen to me too- eye-twitching , but it eventually went away-probably after a few days.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Not to bring back really old posts, but I'm on day 3 and my eye twitching is going bonkers. In my case I believe it is from the withdrawal. Not the best thing to be going on when you sit in front of a computer for 8 hours a day at work. Sure beats hallucinations tho!
Old 03-18-2015, 08:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Eye twitches happen to me all of the time. It's a bodily stress response. When I get a migraine, my eye will twitch. Before I drank and had a major deadline, I'd get an eye twitch. Don't worry. Rest, lots of water and super nutritious food, and fresh air.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've experienced all kinds of weird twitches in recovery. I had the eye thing along with a "weird" pressure. It felt like my eyeballs were popping out! I thought I had some inter cranial pressure and was certain I was a goner. It resolved itself, now I just have the odd foot twitch. Those are painful but I know its just my body resetting itself and am not worried anymore.

Congrats on 10 days, keep up the good work.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Funny but yes! Had forgotten that but yup: happened me during first week, just for a few days as far as I recall.
It has occurred intermittently during times of stress over last 20 years or so.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

I dont remember but maybe book a dr apt or optician
Old 03-18-2015, 09:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Might be something to check in with a Dr on, if you're concerned!!
Old 03-18-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I used to get it when I was under stress. Before exams when I was younger and then when a deadline loomed at work! Quitting drinking is pretty stressful to begin with, so....
Old 03-18-2015, 11:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

With me it was stress.