Notices

suboxone withdrawal

Old 09-03-2006, 08:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

suboxone withdrawal

today i feel good. this morning i laughed, and i laughed hard. it's been a long time since i've felt any real emotion. today marks 2 weeks clean for myself. i woke up today feeling hopeful for the first time in the past 14 days.

i know a lot of people have had a hard time coming off of suboxone. i was addicted to roughly 30 hydros (10/650) for 6 years. 2 weeks ago, after months of feeling like a failure and being emotionally exhausted, i entered myself into a rehab program. i was pleased to hear that the facility i was at used suboxone for opiate addiction/withdrawal. my withdrawals from the hydros were minimal because of the suboxone, and i thought i was out of the woods. then the suboxone treatment ended. granted, i wasn't on maintenance therapy, i still wasn't prepared to have wd's frome the suboxone itself. suboxone is a much longer acting opiate. the wd's didn't even set in until about 4 days after i stopped receiving it. this was particularly discouraging to me. i guess i should have been more realistic with myself, knowing that i couldn't get through this totally pain free. that would be to easy. i look at it like this: wd's from hydros is like jumping from a 5th story window, wd's from suboxone is like jumping from a 1st story window. was it worth it? yes. because today i'm clean. and not only am i clean, but i'm gaining a sense of normalcy again. IT FEELS GOOD.

if you are struggling with suboxone withdrawal, just remember that it's a lot easier than coming off other opiates. find a way, any way, to hold on for just a few more days. YOU WILL FEEL BETTER. also, getting through the detox is only the tip of the iceberg. understanding that our wills alone will keep us clean after the cravings/wd's have passed would be foolish. we're married to our addictions....and our drugs of choice are definitely the better half. find something bigger than yourself to fill that void! good luck to everyone going through this. you're gonna need it!