Hi, my name is Gabe

Old 03-07-2003, 05:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi, my name is Gabe

and I'm the daughter and ex-wife of two alcoholics. I just thought I would start a meeting since I couldn't get to mine tonight (no babysitter). Since I have appointed myself the leader of said meeting, here is the topic:
What do you do when you feel like you're losing your faith?
I've had a lot of rugged stuff going on in my life lately that has made me question my faith a lot. I've found myself shaking my fist at the Heavens and shouting "This isn't fair! I'm a good person! What does this sh*t keep happening to me?" (Oh yeah, the pity party is just rockin' on) And when I'm feeling this way, the phrases "Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger" and "When God closes a door, somewhere He opens a window" make me want to break things.
So Anons, your mission (should you decide to accept it) is to share your "faith building techniques". This post will not self-destruct in thirty seconds, and neither will I.
Wondering why bad things happen to good people,
Gabe
Old 03-07-2003, 05:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Hi Gabe

My name is Ann and I am a codependent mother of an addict.

When my faith gets shaky, I make special efforts to recharge my spiritual batteries. For me, going to a church, any church, works well. If there is no service going on, I love to just sit and feel the presence of God. I pray, sit quietly and listen for answers. Sometimes this is even better than when a service is taking place.

Or even at home, I will light a couple of candles and sit quietly and pray and meditate. Sometimes I play soft music and sometimes I just prefer silence.

I feel comfortable telling God that I am mad at Him. He knows I mean no offence and that I am trying to NOT be mad. I just talk to Him like I would a friend.

In the summer, I can get this same connection in my garden or sitting out on my porch at night. Winter just doesn't cut it.

No door or windows here, Gabe, but I do hope you feel stronger
Old 03-07-2003, 07:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi Gabe - I, too, am the daughter of an alcoholic and mother of many children, including a 19 yr. old alcohol/drug abuser. Over the past 3 years, we have had numerous trials with this daughter and the list goes on. Often, in the midst of a situation that I did not have any idea how to handle, I would pray for guidance and really feel that God wasn't listening and answering. I, too, struggled and still struggle at times with my faith. However, slowly, my eyes have been opened to see God working in my life and in our situation in ways that I didn't perceive at the time. We tend to lose perspective. I have to believe that He is a good God and is always available even when I can't see it. Friends have come up to me later and told how they had been praying for us at specific times when we really needed it. So, don't give up. Ask God to open your eyes to His presence and He will. My thoughts are with you.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi Gabe,

I'm a recovering co, called, Baffled,

I like the topic that you've chose for this "meeting"...as I have been struggling to rebuild my faith. I had felt really close and connected to God, but got mad when I found out about my husband's relapse. I knew in my heart that the best way to reconnect is to pray...but the anger and hurt made the words stick in my head and at 1st I could barely utter a prayer...my heart just wasn't in it. So I just tried to just thank God for all the good things I could think of...my health, my friends,.....any good thing I could think of...and there were many when I really thought about it..

Lately I have been praying really hard for anyone I know in recovery....Even when I can't pray for myself...praying for them makes me feel really good. That really helps me....hope it helps someone else..

That's all I've got and I'll pass.......
Old 03-07-2003, 07:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Gabe:

My name is Lyn, and I am the wife of an alcoholic and the daughter of an alcoholic. I have 5 children, the oldest is married.

When I feel I don't have enough faith, or my faith is waivering, I pray to God to give me for faith. As is says in Mark 9:24b : Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

Also, I've been doing a devotional on spiritual warfare, and it has shed some light on how I need to put away anger and bitterness, because that just leaves a door for Satan to enter in and wreak havoc on your life. So, that's where I'm at right now.

Lyn
Old 03-07-2003, 10:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
believer

Hi Gabe,

I call myself Journeygal. I'm the daughter of an alcoholic and the wife of an addict.

I don't mind telling God I'm mad at him either! One of the things I struggle with the most is that either God or his "partner in crime" don't seem to want us humans to live a peaceful life. Just when things start going good, BAM, something happens and things turn to sh** again. I know you can't appreciate the good without the bad, how do you know it's sunny outside if it never rains, blah blah blah, and most of all I know life is not fair. But damnit, why not? What can't for once things just keep going my way? I grew up with enough pain and turmoil - I think I can appreciate a good time when I see it! Are we all destined to spend 40 years in the wilderness, and not a second less????? And oh by the way, it might take 80 years of life for before we've spent those 40 years in the wilderness!!!!

Ok, I'm venting. And, it's really just a bunch of hot air b/c through it all I know my life is God's plan and if he thinks I need to live through more pain and uncertainty, then so be it. We can be pissed, but it doesn't mean we have to lose our faith. We can go kicking and screaming at the unfair deals life throws us, but in the end our faith is pretty much the only thing to keep us going. Without it, what is there left? It's easy to have faith when things are going well. It's during the rough spots that God wants to see what we're REALLY made of!
Old 03-08-2003, 03:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi my name is Faith,
I am a recovering co also and I am a granddaughter and fiance of an alcoholic, I can relate to alot of what you say this morning, I have yet to make to a "real" meeting, and I want to soon, but in the meantime I come here and read the bible and try to keep faith. If you dont mind me asking Lyn, what scripture have you been reading for your devotion on spiritual warfare, my pastor spoke on this the last time I attended church, I addressed my weakness, and put on my shield. I had alot of anger to release and I prayed to god to help me to release it, I was just telling my fiance in a recent letter, that since I surrendered to God and told him I needed help with my anger and dislike of a person, that has caused alot of havic in mine and my SO life I have felt so much better, I used to have terrible dreams about her, and I havent had one since I turned my troubles about her over to God. Praise the Lord.
Old 03-08-2003, 05:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi, I go by the name NoDoubt (but I have MANY doubts!!)

I am the daughter and wife of alcoholics. When I married my husband I thought I was escaping from that situation. Well, 9 years later I found myself in the thick of it again (and have been living there for at least 4 years since).

I have just begun to go to Alanon meetings, posting and reading posts on this message board and taking better care of myself.

with regard to a higher power. I struggle with that one. I grew up Lutheran. Have tried to get back to chuch with my chlidren but things always get in the way. I believe in god but don't know how to 'feel' him in my life.

My primary goal now is to make the lives of myself and my children happy.

NoDoubt
Old 03-08-2003, 05:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Hi...I am JT the codependent daughter, wife and mother of alcoholics.

I have come to believe over time that God not only has a plan for me but he also has a plan for everyone else as well. He doesn't give me the details so it is my job to simply trust that, to stand aside and to appreciate all that I have been given.

Hugs,
JT
Old 03-08-2003, 06:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone for

your wonderful sharing. I read this thread twice, hoping that many of the things you all said will sink in. And while continuing to hunt for the map to "the sunny side of the street" I will remember to recharge my spiritual batteries, count my blessings, pray for faith and especially to pray for others. Hugs to all of you, your thoughts have helped me very much.
Peace,
Gabe
Old 03-08-2003, 06:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Devotional

Faith:

The Devotional I'm using is Lord, Is It Warfare? Teach Me to Stand, by Kay Arthur. The scripture it uses is mostly Ephesians, which I think I'll have memorized by the time I'm done with this devotional Specifically on Anger and Bitterness, some of the scripture it works you through ise Hebrews 12:1-17. Hope this helps.

Lyn
Old 03-08-2003, 08:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Paused

Thanks so much Lyn, I will pray that it will.