ACOA I wonder?

Old 08-29-2006, 10:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recovering perpetual kid...

ACOA I wonder?

I am the Adult Child Of Alcoholic parents. I tell myself I have dealt with my feelings surrounding my parents, but I wonder if I really have... My parents divorced when I was 6 years old. Then when I was 13 my Mom was killed in a single car drunk driving accident. My Dad died many years later of an alcohol and valium overdose. I bounced through the foster-care system and juvenile corrections system. I also followed in my parents foot steps as far as addiction and alcoholism, but I am damned if I am going to die like them! So I am just grateful to have made it back one more time alive. I have been clean and sober 25 days now...

Hang loose, Doc.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
In Recovery

Congrats on your 25 days, Doc.

The fact that you are looking at the past with "new" eyes tells me that you still have some issues hangin' out there.

Only you can determine what issues you have, what you most need to deal with (what brings you the most pain/anguish/anger)...keep reading and posting, and stay in touch, k?

One thing I remember as an early 20-something was saying, "I'm never going to be like them!" only to follow in their exact footsteps, swaying from one to the other (beligerent and angry to submissive and mousy). There were only two ends of a spectrum of thoughts and behaviors, with nothing in between.
Through AA and ACOA, I've begun to learn who I am, and realized, with some prodding from a fellow AA'er, that I am what is in between those two spectrum ends...

Probably doesn't make sense, but that's how I saw it in myself.

Take Care,
Old 08-30-2006, 08:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on those 25 days Budoc, that's awesome.

I also tried to be "different" than my alcoholic parents. I succeeded at being "different", but I failed at being _better_. It took the program of AA and a few good shrinks to point me in the right direction.

Glad to have you aboard.

Mike
Old 08-30-2006, 10:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats Doc! It takes a lot of courage to look at yourself closely enough to see that you're heading down a path that isn't very good. It takes even more courage to decide you're going to change paths.

Keep up the good work!
Old 08-30-2006, 10:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
o.0

ConGr@ts!
Old 08-30-2006, 11:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovering perpetual kid...

Originally Posted by DesertEyes
Congrats on those 25 days Budoc, that's awesome.

I also tried to be "different" than my alcoholic parents. I succeeded at being "different", but I failed at being _better_. It took the program of AA and a few good shrinks to point me in the right direction.

Glad to have you aboard.

Mike
I too tried to be different, and succeeded, in being crazier and more radical, but somehow miraculously surviving too many close calls... There must be a reason and higher purpose behind it all. I just have to pull my head out of my butt and see how blessed I am and the bright future ahead of me if I choose to sieze it! Thanks you guys...

Hang loose, Doc.