Notices

Absolutely New, #2

Old 08-28-2006, 11:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Absolutely New, #2

Here's my try again. Anyone can imagine my frustration, as i typed three pages worth of text, only to have some computer mathematics screw it all up. compile that with alcoholism.

anyhow, am here for the first time. feel like i possibly have a head start on most here, because i'm yonger than most. only 23. would rather try and get it done now, than wait a couple decades.

i'm young, but when i was far younger than i am now, had a drug problem. beat that problem with alcohol. trade one addiction for another, so to speak.
and am stuck doing a pint of 80 proof nearly every night. and i'm a small guy....135 pounds.

since i hit 21, which is such a terrible age.....have not gone more than 5 or 6 days in a row without a drink. have no family problems. no history of trauma or anything of the like. just have an unexplainable compulsion to drink.

don't crave alcohol ever mentally, believe it or not. actually, most that are reading this probably will believe it. i have no desire to be drunk...just compelled to get that way for some unknown reason. i crave alcohol only on the physical level. i know that if i go without, i'll hit hardcore withdrawal after day two or three, and am unable to stomach it. have done it before, and it's a terrifying thought to get beyond. been there, done that.

if it's possible for someone to get beyond day two or three without alcohol, with my record of extremely heavy drinking....without doing a detox program....please respond. if it's just a matter of toughing it out, let me know.

i'm a college senior, and despite my alcoholism, i function normally every day. excellent grades, and the like. wake up hungover out of my mind, but am able to to get things done. i'm motivated to the extreme. and, i'm motivated to give up alcohol for the rest of my days. just a matter of getting past the initial withdrawal symptoms and sickness.

however, while i would love some messages that are on the happy end, please don't send any my way that involve religion. been there and done that. parents are clergy. raised in the church, etc. anything anyone says on the religion end will only screw my efforts. i already know all the ins and outs of theology without someone telling me them again.

that's that. send me something and help me out.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Alcohol withdrawal can actually kill you, so checking with your doctor is always in order.

On the other hand, you've stated that you have gone nearly a week in the past without a drink and it didn't kill you, (which is good!).

Basically, yeah, you just have to tough it out. Plan on those hangover feelings sticking around for a while until your body's cells adjust back to functioning without alcohol.

It took me about two weeks before the physical symptoms and craving finally went away. After that I was hit with the emotional side of it -- all the things I used to drink to escape started coming back to me with a vengeance. Along with it came the mental cravings. So be prepared for it.

Don't discount the effect good nutrition can have on your recovery. Your cells have not only adapted to functioning "normally" with alcohol, but they've also been sustaining continued damage by your use. Adjusting back can be traumatic for them, and they need the raw materials to heal and repair.

Keep yourself hydrated. Eat things with lots of B vitamins and protein. Vegetables in general are loaded with vitamins that your body needs. Sugars and fresh fruit can help a lot with the physical craving, (it has to do with the way alcohol is metabolized into sugar and how your body has become used to it). Plan on needing more sleep those first few weeks, (and there might be nightmares).

The book "Under The Influence" can give you lots of good information of what has been going on with your body, and ways to deal with recovering from it.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey man,
Just letting you know you're not alone in this. (I'm 23 as well)
Personally I'm going into a detox/rehab facility because, well, for the last 8 years I've been on drugs/alcohol & for the last 2.5 years I've been drinking heavily every single day. I'm only 13 days into being sober, but have been taking valium to take the edge off the symptoms.
You can beat it alone, but it is a LOT harder, especially if your social group are also alcoholics.
I recommend seeing a doctor who has experience with drug/alcohol related problems.

All the best,
Mike
Old 08-29-2006, 02:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!..

Here us a link with many personal experiences
on detoxing.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-expect-9.html

I too think
"Under The Influence" is excelllent.
The information there finally got me to quit.

There is also a sequel ..Beyond The Influence"
Amazon carries both.

Take care...
Old 08-29-2006, 03:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

Welcome!! There are solutions. Search out all the success stories, see what game plan you can work with, and work it like yoru life depends on it. Many recover. I am an adiction survivor.and it still amazes me how adamant I used to be that I could not make it.

Keep posting and check out all the resources..................

******************{Warmest Welcoming Hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Old 08-29-2006, 04:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You should see a doctor, I had too cause I couldnt stop and was afraid , it can be dangerous to do it on your own and the Doc gave me Campral which helps with withdrawals and cravings and it is working well for me- I am 29 days sober and I had been drinking for 20 years off and on and the last 5 years was heavy drinking.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The program of recovery (12 steps) is not religion...it is spirituality...

I was hung up on that for a long time...but I have found myself through it...

and it has nothing to do with theology (although theology is interesting to talk about)

good luck.

j.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Livers and brain cells don't live forever...

Huh, what happened to your first thread? Oh well, here is my reply again in case you didn't get the first one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by regrad
welcome...

not a big drinker here (mostly drugs)

but i know what 80 proof is...i'd say you are in the right place

Assuming no major car wrecks which could kill you first and assuming you started drinking at 20 and you are able to keep from increasing the amount you need to maintain your nerves(big if)...you will have consumed 32,625 "standard" drinks (one 12 oz. beers worth) on your 29th birthday.

The liver can do amazing things at your age but it can't do it forever...and do you really want to have to burn off 4,000,000+ alchohol calories every decade just to maintian you weight?

I'm not trying trying to scare you...I just don't want you to be where I am 20 years from now...get it under control now and you'll probably be fine the rest of your life...it will be a crapshoot at best otherwise...it's a lot easier now than it's going to be later...