He's not only looney, but now he's having seizures!

Old 08-28-2006, 07:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

He's not only looney, but now he's having seizures!

Well, at least one seizure that I know of. I'm getting out. Staying here, even for a few hours, is crazy-making if I so much as attempt to have any sort of rational conversation. He isn't drinking at the moment, but he's "wet."

I came home, and found that he had done a great deal of work around the house. Now I'm getting the sober flat-liner. No more, "Oh baby, baby, I miss you so." Now it's just, "I appreciate your thanking me for hanging all the pictures, but it had to be done anyway."

The cats snuck into the office where he had hung the shelves. All of a sudden, they jumped up and knocked off some items from the shelves. It startled me so much, I let out a yell. Not a blood-curdling scream, merely a yell. AH was on the couch zoned out (not on booze for a change) but Seroquel. He was "dozing" and my yell frightened him. He rushed into the office to see what was wrong, turned his back to the wall, eyes rolled back in his head, and fell to the floor twitching in the extremities - hands and feet. I shouted his name. He came around in less than a minute, got up, and proceeded to deny anything had happened. I asked him when he had his last drink, thinking he was trying to self-detox. "Oh, I drank last night. It's just the Seroquel making me sleepy. Perhaps I just fainted." What a fool I am - I should have called 911 as soon as he hit the floor! He walked back into the living room saying, "Maybe I'm not feeling well. My heart is racing. I need to sit down."

Other great revelations: He doesn't see any "major" problems with our marriage. He admits he is an alcoholic. He admits he can't control his drinking. He does not know what he plans to do about that.

Hmmmm ... So I say, "I'm alone every weekend while you're on a bender. Perhaps from your perspective that is not considered a major problem; however, it is a major problem for me."

"Well, I can see how that would be a problem for you."

"We literally have no friends and no social life. You have never invited any coworkers over to our house."

"We haven't lived here that long."

"We've lived here five months."

"So what courses are you taking this coming semester?"

AAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!! Yes, I put my own stupid foot in that pile, didn't I? And it was crazy-making. He has no clue what the heck I'm talking about. At this point who gives a sh**. I'm going to shut up now and I mean MAJOR shut up.

I went to Phoenix this past week and went to an organization that helps women re-enter the workforce, gives them career counseling, helps them find housing, etc. Time for this birdie to fly away.

However .... have any of you experienced this brief seizure "thing"? Any idea what the heck it's all about? If it happens the short time I plan to remain here, I will call 911, but in the meantime have any of you dealt with this type of situation???
Old 08-28-2006, 07:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

prodigal - my husband had many withdrawal seizures, some were short, but they were longer as his disease progressed. it was one of the most terrifying things i have encountered. i always called 911 - he always put up a stink and said he was fine. several times i ended up talking him into going to the ER and 1 time they actually took him. i don't know if it was the combo of drinking & the med that caused your husband's seizure, but their blood pressure usually skyrockets.

i feel for you prod!!!
Old 08-28-2006, 07:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow Prodigal,

that's some serious stuff going on at home....

I'll check in later..
Old 08-28-2006, 07:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, it's serious and it's hopeless. I mean, what doggone difference does it make whether or not he admits his drinking is "the ONLY serious problem" in our marriage? A bit all-encompassing, don't you think? "Gee, I've just been diagnosed with cancer. I think I'll admit I have one heckuva problem, but I just don't know what to do ... chemo? surgery? Duh ... I dunno."

"We have a lovely home. I make good money and have a stable job. We're both in good health. So I don't see any other problems other than my drinking."

Hey, bozo, your drinking is going to end up somewhere down the road making you lose your money, your job and that lovely house. And as far as health problems go ... gee, sorry that I view seizures as a bit of a major health problem. Guess I'm wrong, since as AH phrased it, "it was just too much adrenalin that hit me when you screamed and got me all upset." Yeah, now I'm responsible for his seizures too. Get a grip.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

denial sucks prod!
Old 08-28-2006, 08:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I just did a search on seroquel and it says do not mix with alcohol and get help if uncontrollable movements etc.
Possible fatal od.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by prodigal
"We have a lovely home. I make good money and have a stable job. We're both in good health. So I don't see any other problems other than my drinking."
I heard a version of this, too, prodigal. Denial, yes, and also a desperate attempt to hang on to the alcohol. I'm sorry to hear this is happening. It's very tough and I hope you get through it ok.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
giz

Prodigal,

Those type of seizures began happening to my roommate just before I moved out. He was a heavy whisky drinker. For me, it reinforced my decision to move.