non-alcoholic beer

Old 08-28-2006, 08:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Binge poster

Question non-alcoholic beer

Hi

My partner started drinking non-alcoholic beer a few months ago. She's been smoking hash for a couple of years and at the time of the beer it was a daily occurrence.
I have to say it freaked me out quite a bit, but I deliberately shifted my head away from it, and tried to see it as her business.

Now, she's got a new job, the hash has been dropped to friday and saturday nights and this week she told her mother about the beer.

I know that was a big thing for her, and I know she knew it was dumb to even try it, and I know she knew there was a wee dangerous voice in her head telling her it was ok.

So, without my interfering, shouting and getting all frazzled about it, these things have improved.

I'm trying to work out how I did it. How I managed to leave it to her, have faith in her and to have the faith in myself that no matter what the outcome of the beer experiment, I would be ok and had choices.

Or maybe it's just as simple as that?

Duh

Jane
Old 08-28-2006, 08:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great,Jane.thanks for sharing this.

Sounds like "Let go, let God (or you HP)" in action,to me. Thank you for showing it in practice...I appreciate this. Just what I needed today!

Glad it sounds as if things are going better for you...and her. I am happy about that.

p.s. Glad to see you here again...it's been a little while?
Old 08-28-2006, 09:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Bahookie,

Just off the topic (kinda), alot of people think the NA beer doesn't have alcohol in it.

It does. A very small amount, but it does. *just thought I'd throw that in there if someone wondered about that*
Old 08-28-2006, 10:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes,that is true. There are some extensive threads over on the "alcoholism" forum about this, if anyone wants to pull them;to satisfy their own curiosity.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Girlfriend
Hey Bahookie,

Just off the topic (kinda), alot of people think the NA beer doesn't have alcohol in it.

It does. A very small amount, but it does. *just thought I'd throw that in there if someone wondered about that*
Orange juice has about the same alcohol content as NA beer.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Binge poster

Yeah, don't things like coleslaw have more in it?

I think it's more the taste and visual stimulus though, some of them are just like beer. Can't remember what kind, but had one when I was out for dinner and I don't think I could have told the difference.

J
Old 08-29-2006, 03:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Def agree on the taste, visual stimulus thing..and the environment too eg if it's in a pub maybe it's easier to get pulled back into to whole social, fun side.

Anyway, sherry trifle can have loads of alcohol in it and my RA sees no prob with it - it's not in a bottle and doesn't 'present' as alcohol so it's not a drinking action. In fact he finds it very funny when his family ask him if he's allowed it!!

I think you have a bottle of NA beer and you may unconciously expect a buzz, who's to say it may/may not lead you to having 'just one' of the real thing.

You learned to look after yourself..through lots of hard work and tough times.
That's you, that is
N
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 10-23-2008, 02:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think it's dangerous - the emotional releationship attached to it! You don't drink OJ for the 'buzz' but the taste, what applies to NA beer is not the taste and you don't get the 'buzz', it has the same effect and therefore can lead to the real think. Take care.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was in a restaurant last week where they advertised two alcohol free beers. I asked how they differed and the waitress told me that one had less alcohol in it.
Be wary, be very wary.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shariff View Post
I think it's dangerous - the emotional releationship attached to it! You don't drink OJ for the 'buzz' but the taste, what applies to NA beer is not the taste and you don't get the 'buzz', it has the same effect and therefore can lead to the real think. Take care.
I totally agree. To me, it's still romancing the drink, albeit the lower alcohol content.

I was told I had to clean up in more ways than just not drinking anymore, and that is what I had to do.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ago

I don't know...nothing is better on a Saturday night then going out, having a few "fake" beers then doing a few lines of "fake" coke

I'm kidding but I'm stating drinking fake beers -can- be dangerous for a -real- alcoholic to drink, i've seen tons of people begin slips that way over the years
Old 10-23-2008, 04:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ago View Post
I'm kidding but I'm stating drinking fake beers -can- be dangerous for a -real- alcoholic to drink, i've seen tons of people begin slips that way over the years
We buried a fellow several years ago that started again that way...first he quit attending AA, then he started with the non-alcoholic beer (I had run into him several times in the grocery store after he quit AA), and well...he's dead now.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Trying to find a path

My AW used NA beer because it left the same smell on her breath as the real thing. Sometimes she would down a 40 and the crack a NA beer on the way home.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

To me drinking non-alcohol beer is like me taking a vicodin. My DOC was heroin and later oxy's with quite a bit of meth mixed in but a vicodin now would have just enough opiate in it to give me that "taste" that I always remember waiting for. There is enough alcohol in NA beer to trigger that allergy of the body and release addiction all over again. I can't touch a substance ever again. And why would I want to trigger myself with the taste and such anyways. It'd be like me shooting up water....not a good idea to stick a needle in my arm and get myself jonesing. Just doesn't make sense to me.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
rumble young man rumble

the NA beers r a waste of time as i see it. But more power to the ppl that have and are using it in there recover. I honestly dont see the point as we started to drink to get a buzz n ride the alcohol until its become an addiction for us and by putting it in packaging that triggers our memories of the real deal is only asking for trouble. Sorry but thats my opinion but like i said if its helping ppl get their lives back on the right track more power to em !!!
Old 05-25-2009, 09:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

mih, there's a lot of debate about this. Check out the threads in the Newcomers to Recovery and Alcoholism sections.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Maybe I misunderstood the OP, but I was under the impression that the intent of this thread was for bahookie to share his success in the areas of "minding his own business" and not projecting, obsessing about, trying to control and living in a catastrophe that, it appears, is going to be avoided.

So, I find it kinda interesting that everyone is so quick to jump into the issue of the risks/benefits of NA beer and, thus, of whether or not our A's should or should not be drinking it.......thereby taking the thread's focus off of bahookie's awesome growth and success and putting it right back on the A's and the risk (or not) they run in drinking NA beer.

What's wrong with this picture??????

How about we forget about what our A's should or should not be doing and give some thought to what we should and/or should not be doing? And ignoring bahookie's successes in a frenzy to focus on the A's and their relationship to NA beer would fall into which category now??????????

So, anyways, on the off chance that my reading of the OP is correct: bahookie, congratulations!!!!! -- on your own growth and on the fact that things seem to be working themselves out for you and your partner without you're having to play God, and, most importantly, on your confidence and trust that you would have been able to take care of yourself and be OK even if things had gone differently.

freya
Old 05-25-2009, 10:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sorry, it is titled non-alcoholic beer, thus went my focus.

And it's a really old thread, I was directly responding to a post (from today, from an alcoholic asking if they should drink it.) It was deleted, apparently.

Course now my post seems self serving and off topic, now that the other post is gone.

I'll pay better attention next time
Old 05-25-2009, 10:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by freya View Post
Maybe I misunderstood the OP, but I was under the impression that the intent of this thread was for bahookie to share his success in the areas of "minding his own business" and not projecting, obsessing about, trying to control and living in a catastrophe that, it appears, is going to be avoided.

So, I find it kinda interesting that everyone is so quick to jump into the issue of the risks/benefits of NA beer and, thus, of whether or not our A's should or should not be drinking it.......thereby taking the thread's focus off of bahookie's awesome growth and success and putting it right back on the A's and the risk (or not) they run in drinking NA beer.

What's wrong with this picture??????

How about we forget about what our A's should or should not be doing and give some thought to what we should and/or should not be doing? And ignoring bahookie's successes in a frenzy to focus on the A's and their relationship to NA beer would fall into which category now??????????

So, anyways, on the off chance that my reading of the OP is correct: bahookie, congratulations!!!!! -- on your own growth and on the fact that things seem to be working themselves out for you and your partner without you're having to play God, and, most importantly, on your confidence and trust that you would have been able to take care of yourself and be OK even if things had gone differently.

freya
The OP is from 2006...
Old 05-25-2009, 10:15 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm not making it up lol.. someone just posted here TODAY which brought it back up, i wouldn't have posted on it otherwise, she was asking as an alcoholic if it was ok to drink, I tried to direct her over to Newcomers... Course now I sound insane because the post and the account are since deleted.

Maybe I am crazy.

Good grief. lol... Happy Monday!