Notices

Today is my 5th Day It Sucks

Old 08-28-2006, 06:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today is my 5th Day It Sucks

Okay today is my fifth day. It would have been longer but I drank last Wed.

Anyway, I am sweating. Its gross. I'm always hot. Is this normal.
Eating lots of candy and gaining a ton of weight which is driving me nuts. Also, I'm so damn tired in the morning. I can hardly stay awake. I drank at night, not during the day. I can hardly work. Then I eat a ton of Starburst and get a major sugar high which then I crash in the afternoon.

I feel like crap.

Went to an AA meeting. Still hate them. But I'm going to try and go

Drinking sucks, not drinking sucks.
Any idea on what foods I can eat that will give me energy besides sugar.
I know that Beer has a lot of sugar in it. But I feel like I'm addicted to Candy and Soda now. I eat so much of it. I'm trying water. I"m just constantly hungry. When I crave a drink I've just been eating.

Plus I went from one pack of cigs a day to two. I feel like I'm gonna kill myself whether I drink or not. Please tell me this don't get worse.

Sleeping is chore. Being awake alone craving drinks is terrible. Sweating and headaches are bad.

Some people on here after two weeks act like they feel great. I feel just as foggy.

I thought I'd save money. Now I"m spending more on Candy, Cigs and Soda.

I feel like I'm being addicted worse to more things.

Help me.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Hi OnceNice it is so good to see you here posting again! Yep it sure is. Sometimes it takes a while for us to start to feel better! I know that I have 95 days today and I am still tired in the morning when I wake up. Matter of fact I feel as if I could go back to sleep for the whole day, no energy at all. But I try to stay positive and keep putting one foot in front of the other.

As long as we don't drink or use we have a chance to have a different life than we have ever had before. My days are pretty much all good days, but I try to keep focused on gratitude that I am alive and well. Sure I could focus on other things but that never seems to lift my spirits much so just be gentle with yourself and we are always here. Keep posting I have found that it really does help. I will keep you in my thoughts.

Love Vic
Old 08-28-2006, 07:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had same cravings for sweets, especially candy and soda but I would try to eat small amounts and only drink one or two cokes a day, normally I would drink diet coke and couldnt stand regular coke but when I quit drinking I would find myself drinking maybe one regular coke, you might try fruits, instead of candy and also I would also drink maybe 1 energy drink during the day when I felt sluggish, besides they also have vitamins in it that will give you energy.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Vic.

How many Starburst, Skittles, Twizzlers or Rollo's (chocolate and caremel) can one 40 year old girl eat. Too damn many i tell you.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Rose...

Many alcoholics follow an eating plan for
hypoglycemia.

I found it in the back of
"Under The Influence" and it worked great!

Take care
Old 08-28-2006, 07:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Have you tried drinking tea, without milk and sugar?.I used to drink many cups of Earl Gray in the beginning. It helped a lot.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Um I can eat a few bags a day...LOL I have came from wearing a size 7 in womens pant to a size 34 mens
Old 08-28-2006, 07:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I felt like crap for about the first three weeks, first 10 day where the worst, I was able to sleep a lot the first two weeks and that really helped.

I had such cravings for chocolate in the beginning I would jump in the car and go to the homemade chocolate shop, and eat it all before I got home so I would have to share, sorta what i used to do with booze lol.

it does get better you just need to get over the hump. think of it as having a real bad flu there is nothing you can do except drink lots of fluids and let it pass.

Also drink water water and more water it really helps, and many think this is a bad one but sugar free RED BULL , and vitamins.

HANG IN THERE!!!
Old 08-28-2006, 07:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great, I'm going to were mens clothes now. Well, this not drinking is swell.
First I eat too much, then I smoke too much, NOW I'M GOING TO CHANGE GENDERS.

Thanks, I need to joke a bit. This really is a drag though.

Its weird. At night I really crave the alcohol and want a drink sooo bad. But during the day, I just want sweets. I don't think about the drink. Night time is when I want my the alcholol. This whole thing is mind boggling.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

oncenice,
can you work out? that really seems to help me.
try different drinks--diet limeade or lemonade helped me--sodas and water gets really boring after awhile.

keep joking. laughter will get you through!
keep coming back--you are doing great!
Old 08-28-2006, 07:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Scootingbabe, I just don't want to do anything. The last thing I want is to exericse. Truthfully, I just want nice cold beer. This is so stupid.
Why can't I be normal. Why do I have to do everything bad for me in abundance. Never a middle. Other do it.

No I have to drink till drunk
Eat till sick.
Smoke till the throat is sore.
and Bitch till no one wants to listen.

P.S. I still sweating. Turning my fan on at work now.

Hope I make it through tonight.

I'll be fine at work

Day five well, its the longest I've gone since I joined this thing.

My head hurts and work is getting in the way.
Dr. gave me Naltrexone or something. I don't think it takes away the cravings one bit.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~ 5 ~

Congrtas on day 5

The sugar thing....after 74 days (and about 20 pounds) i have traded my little debbie fudge rounds in for fresh fruit, nectirines, peaches ect... I still have a dark chocolate bar the i eat 2 pieces at night (dark chocolate is really good for you). I dont like pop but i did drink alot of apple juice and v-8 and also i drink alot of water.
The first few weeks id binge on sweets and almost everyday end up asleep around 3 or 4 and nap for and hour, that to has passed.
The smoking thing.....i dont what to tell you, the other day i opened a 3rd pack before i went to bed, i didnt smoke this much when i drank...lol im going to quit once i farther along in this recovery but one thing at a time is all i can handle.
I take a anti-anxiety pill every night before bed so sleeping has become easier, falling asleep is easy.
Keep posting, keep reading, this place has helped me so much in the past week, i wish i would of found this place 2 months ago.
Good luck and dont worry about smoking or gaining weight, we will have plenty of time in the future to shed some pounds and quit the smokes
Krys
Old 08-28-2006, 07:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

On a serious note, you might want to go see your Doc and have your blood sugar checked, though I have read a lot about sugar cravings being normal you might just want to make sure every things good.

.....and don't forget water, water and more water, I find water can help with many cravings. I've read that the body can confuse thirst with other cravings and you should drink a large glass of water and wait ten minute before giving in to a food craving.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am getting through my cravings with sugar free foods... sugar free pudding, soda etc. It's making me think I am getting sugar, it must be fooling me, because I am not freaking out over sugar cravings anymore

22 days and forever
Old 08-28-2006, 07:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

What you are describing with the sugar high and then crash is normal. Best to stop that is to make sure when you eat something with sugar you also eat something with protein in it. The protein will level out the blood sugar and stop you from crashing. Also, eat small mini-meals every 3 hours or so.

OJ is a great natural sugar and gives you potassium. Take a good multi-vitamin because when our bodies are crying out for nutrients we can eat all kinds of weird crap! Lots and lots of water to flush toxins. I was told that for a alcohol craving, try eating some chocolate ice cream. Apparently the body processes ice cream much in the same way it does alcohol. As for gaining weight, know that you will level out and can address that issue then. I gained between 30 - 40lbs when I got sober. I just knew I was going to LOSE weight cause I wasn't ingesting the calories of alcohol but NO!!!

Anyway, I've lost about 25lbs since the first of this year and I have really done anything to do it. I think it is just the body trying to regulate itself.

Hang in there on the drinking thing. It will get easier, I promise. And keep going to meetings, they can save your butt!

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 08-28-2006, 07:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Rose, 5 days is just great! I know what it's like to crave all the junk food. The first time I got sober I swear I lived on Cadbury chocolate bars and Skittles for a few weeks. Ugh. But I figured that was better than consuming the same amount of calories from alcohol. I finally started feeding myself good stuff--lots of complex carbs (whole grain foods, etc.), protein, and fruits & veggies. It didn't come natural to me, but now I prefer the healthy stuff (with the occasional candy bar).

OH, and a good thing to drink is cranberry juice mixed half & half with sparkling mineral water--that helped me a lot. As NYCgirl said, drink loads of water--it'll help detox your body.

Do you like milk? Try drinking milk before bedtime to help you sleep. Or chamomile tea--both are helpful for insomnia.

Be nice to yourself--you're doing fine, though it may not feel like it. You're normal (like the rest of us around here), and this will pass.

Old 08-28-2006, 07:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey Rose....Glad to hear you are on day 5 ......but sorry to hear it is not getting better, but it will !!!!!

Have you had blood work done recently???? I am just wondering about that ?

I am really glad that you are taking this step, I know it is hard but it will get easier !!!

GO ROSE !!!!!

~B
Old 08-28-2006, 07:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The first 10 days were the worst for me as well...

What seemed to help was cranberry juice/soda, fruit, water, and exercise. I ran in the morning and then if I was feeling really anxious go for a walk in the afternoon.

It does suck. There's no way around it.

It will get better with time.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I had the whole low blood sugar thing going before I started drinking. You can imagine the mess I was in when I quit. I found if I grabbed a glass of milk and a piece of cheese (string cheese is great) before I ate any sweets, it usually took away the craving. I also munched on crackers and microwave popcorn between meals, which helped my salt fix. Stay away from too much caffeine, that'll help your sugar crash and burn as well.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:03 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Great job Rose!