cycle repeats

Old 08-27-2006, 08:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

cycle repeats

My son has been in the same cycle of detox, treatment and a month clean and he starts all over again for the last three relapses. Right now he is detoxing from heroin and claims he has nothing to live for. I know this is all up to him, but I fear going through the same steps have not worked for him. The halfway house he went to after treatment did not provide enough structrue for him. He didn't seem to have enough in place to get a job and be self sufficient. What and where in the Chicago land area would provide more for him?
Old 08-28-2006, 05:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hi, dor;
And welcome to SR!

I understand your frustration. My son too is a heroin addict and has relapsed often. Perhaps your son would benefit from a half way house after detox and treatment. Or many get help from Salvation Army. If he's dual diagnosed, as many are, he may need medication. I just want you to know I understand, and I ask you to join us over in the naranon forum. There, you'll find many who share the same issues as we do, and share our experience, strength and hope.

Mark will be back from vacation soon to answer your concerns.

Shalom!
Old 08-29-2006, 08:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Addiction Expert

I don't know what the resources in Chicago would be but I think you need to go to Nar Anon & deal with the best way to help your son. Its his job to be responsible for his recovery...it would be great if you could do it for him, but you can't and you need to focus on how to help you right now.

It may be most helpful to stay away from managing or helping him with his recovery at all....but I think you need to go to regular meetings to understand that & accept it.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Life!

I *still* have difficulty with that one!
Thanks for the reminder!

Shalom!
Old 08-29-2006, 07:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My son is now saying he has hit rock bottom. He is talking about hitting cleaning himself up and joining the army. He is planning on going through more treatment but it seems like he is setting himself a goal. He isn't on any medicine right now and has even talked to a recruiter about his situation. Any one with experience like this.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
To Life!

My son went into the service. He was dismissed for using.

Shalom!