Notices

I made it a week

Old 08-27-2006, 06:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I made it a week

Good morning everyone! Well, I made it a whole week! Friday afternoon I had my doubts but I stuck it out and stayed strong.

I was reminded once again in the middle of the night why I need to do this. My daughter came down with the stomach flu in the middle of the night. I never thought I would be grateful for cleaning up puke (gross!...sorry!) and doing laundry at 3 a.m. After I gave her some ginger ale and got her back to bed I sat for a long time and thought...if this had happened last Saturday night I would not have been here for her...

But today is a new day. I'm sober. I'm thankful and finally getting the hang of this new life style.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

WTG. Those are called the gifts of sobriety!
Old 08-27-2006, 06:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations! And keep it up-DON'T DRINK AND KEEP BUSY WITH OTHER ACTIVITIES.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

1 week! Super!
Old 08-27-2006, 06:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ruby, that is fantastic!!!!

It is such a comfort to know that we are now able to respond to any crisis in the middle of the night, whether it be our children, family member whatever. I have two teenagers and a mom who is in just so-so health. My worst fear drinking would be to get a "come quick" call in the middle of the night and sleep straight through it or worse, have to stagger out to God knows where drunk as a skunk.

Hang in there and keep up the great work!
Hugs,
Kellye
Old 08-27-2006, 07:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~ 5 ~

Awesome Ruby
Old 08-27-2006, 07:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good Job Ruby..!

Why is it that kids get sick in the middle of the night?

I recall going thru the same bouts with my own kids. Hey im glad to have remembered them...lol

One week....one day....thats a few one days collected sober.

There r many good suggestions offered to us in recovery....i like suggestions rather than being TOLD what to do....I had enough of that with my own mom when i was a child that i swore i would NEVER have anyone EVER TELL me what to do again.

Suggestions are there for the taking....and i did take most of them....esp. if i didnt want to drink again. If i was having second thoughts on drinking i can recall my sponsor and others before me saying...get ur butt to a meeting....if not call ur sponsor or someone....just DONT pick up a drink...it would only make matters worse....so i PRAYED...and PRAYED the SERENITY PRAYER SO MANY TIMES THRU OUT THE DAY......i read my Big Book esp the stories till i began to go to BB studies and had to have things simplified for me to understand them.

Then the Step Book....Step Book meetings were good. We'd read and discuss them...me id LISTEN....it was all i could do at the time....

You r on the right path of recovery.....and if u do take a few steps forward and a few steps backward....its ok...brush urself off and get up and try again.....

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION....RIGHT?

YOU GO GIRL..! : )
Old 08-27-2006, 07:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Way to go!!!
Old 08-27-2006, 08:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks so much everyone! I'm also happy to report that my husband has been so supportive....I think he likes having me home at night and not having to worry! Two years ago, after his 2nd DUI he was court ordered to attend AA meetings. He has offered to go with me when I make that decision. Although he has gone back to drinking, he still says you come away with alot of insight and thinks it would be good for me. While I was more of a go out to the bars drinker, he drinks more at home. I have not asked him to quit with me, but I've noticed he's hardly drinking at all...last night it was ONE glass of wine with dinner instead of his normal whole bottle. This morning he commented on how long it's been since we've both been sober an entire weekend!!

And, Sharon, you're right...why DO the kids always get sick in the middle of the night?!?!?!
Old 08-27-2006, 08:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

well done...

j.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good work Ruby!
Old 08-27-2006, 08:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Happy Happy! I had no doubt you'd make it RubyT!

Congratulations! This is a big accomplishment! Celebrate yourself!
Old 08-27-2006, 08:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Right on Ruby!!!!
Old 08-27-2006, 09:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

WTG Ruby! I'm glad your husband is being so supportive. If he truly doesn't have a problem with drinking, it won't be a problem for him to give it up IF you should ever decide that you want your home to be alcohol-free. For some people it is not a problem to be around alcohol, for others, it is just a matter of time before it triggers them to drink again.

I encourage you to go to an AA meeting. I have found it to be a great support network. It helps me keep grounded and reminds me I'm not alone in this journey.

So glad you're little girl had her mother to comfort her!!!
Old 08-27-2006, 10:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

WTG RUBY!!!!!!

I hope your daughter is feeling better. Stay strong! Your on your way and doing fantastic!!!!!!

Liss