Notices

My First Meeting

Old 08-26-2006, 04:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My First Meeting

Some of the encouragement I received in my first thread yesterday helped motivate me to go to my first meeting. I thought I would share:

I went to my first AA meeting last night. Opening that door was the hardest thing I have ever done. The fear of not knowing what to expect in the meeting was bad, but the admission of failure that that door represented was far worse. I wanted to run.

I'm glad I didn't. Nobody looked at me as if I had two heads. Everyone introduced themselves but nobody asked me any questions, other than, "Is this your first meeting?" People shared their experiences from their first meetings. Some were very similar to mine, some very different.

Near the end, about 10 of the guys at the meeting gave me their phone numbers. Call anytime, they said. Now they don't know me from Adam. They don't know the bad things I've done, and they don't know how I've hurt people I love. They don't care I guess, they just want to help. It was very moving.

I don't know if the AA 12 step process is for me. I don't know if the helpless/powerless recovery model really resonates with me. I don't know if I believe in God.

I do know that their was a very positive energy in that room. There was love and support and I could feel it. The only requirement to attend AA is a desire to stop drinking. I have that desire and I will continue going. I encourage anybody who shares my desire to do the same.

This is day 2.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I am so very pleased for you...

AA rocks!
Old 08-26-2006, 05:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thats brilliant. Sounds like you have a great group there. yep..if it works carry on going. Ive been to AA and recently GA.. gambling sucks too.... .. they're both the same really... but I might stick with GA cause I happen to get on with the people at that one better than my local AA...also there "big book"... is a small orange pamphlet...

keep it up.. ...as they sing on the football terraces...."We'll support you evermore".. well best we can on a chat forum anyway
Old 08-26-2006, 05:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharring!!!!
keep on,keeping on,
Old 08-26-2006, 05:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Naps are good.

Thanks for sharing that! and welcome to SR!

There is strength in numbers
Old 08-26-2006, 06:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The thing about AA is that it's simple minded. That's what's good about it. One day at a time. I had lots of doubts like you, but shot for three months by going to as many meetings as I needed to. I still have my doubts about AA 23 years later, but it's a great tool, and what I didn't find in it I found elsewhere.

Keep up the good work!
Old 08-26-2006, 07:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great to hear! You've done yourself a great service! You may not realize it, but you could very well have helped other newcomers feeling a little trepidatious about attending their first meeting.

Good for you!!
Old 08-26-2006, 07:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good for you! Glad to hear you took the hardest step you ever have to take! Welcome to AA recovery! Now, if you can just USE those phne numbers you'll find out just how much we all have in common. Keep coming back! tk
Old 08-26-2006, 07:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great post. Keep going back - it works.
JMHS
Old 08-26-2006, 10:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

To semi answer your questions re: 12 step and God ........FAKE IT TIL YOU MAKE IT!!!!!

Great job getting to the meeting. They are a compilation of many wonderful understanding people; just like here! Well Done!
Old 08-26-2006, 11:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good for you! Your post helped encourage me to go to a meeting, so thank you. I just have to make it through that door.....

Congrats on 2 days!

Thorn
Old 08-26-2006, 10:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Good job! Keep going back, it really does help!

The first time I went to an AA meeting (almost two months ago), I was feeling very apprehensive. I didn't know what to expect... didn't know anyone... felt out of place... was afraid people were going try telling me who and what I was... was worried that people were going to start handing me a list of things I "had to do"... You get the idea.

I got there a little early and there were all these strange people hanging around outside before the meeting and chatting. As I said, I felt out of place and like a complete stranger, (because I *was*!).

I didn't know what to do so I just stood there, thinking about getting back in my car and driving away. But I stuck around for a few minutes. I figured if nothing else, maybe I could come back in a few days, try again and actually go into the room next time.

While I stood there, just breathing and looking around, one of the guys a few feet away started talking to me. "Hi, my name is -----"... "Hi, my name is GreenTea"... "Are you here for AA?"... "Yeah, this is the right place, right?"... "Oh yeah, you're in the right place alright -- is this your first meeting?"... "Yeah, I'm prety nervous and I don't know what to expect"... "Well come on in, we're about to start -- you'll enjoy it".

He was right.

I've since thanked him for making me feel welcome and putting me at ease, (I know him better now -- he's one of the leaders of our group conscience and a really good guy). It made all the difference.

The important thing for you right now is to keep going back!!!

Congratulations!
Old 08-27-2006, 07:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

good job

congrats

remember spiritual does not neccesarily mean "God"

j.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

congratulations! i only went to my first meeting about a month ago and haven't stopped since. once i knew i couldn't control how much i drank at any given time (sometimes it was 1, sometimes it was 10...), i pretty much knew that i was powerless and voila! i became a perfect aa candidate.

there's lots of wisdom, experience and just general camaraderie at meetings. i mean, where else can you go and speak so openly about all the crazy things you've done and all the crazy feelings you are having etc.?

keep coming back and keep trying meetings. welcome!