Notices

Don't know what to do?

Old 08-24-2006, 12:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Don't know what to do?

I'm a new comer to this and I hope I might find some ideas on how to deal with my husband. We have been together 10 years and he has always been a drinker. His parents and brothers are all alcoholics.About 6 weeks ago he decided that he wanted to quit drinking. I think because he realized he was digging us back into another hole and needs to get out. He tried on his own for about 5 of those weeks having 1 maybe 2 beers a day insead of a 12 pack. Come to find out he was staying home during the day and hiding his drinking from me not going to work. Which means no money to pay the bills and his employer giving him one last chance or he was going to loose his job. I found that out when he come to the house looking for him and said he hadn't been to work in days. I found cans hidden all over the garage. I would come home and find him sleeping on the couch in the middle of the afternoon. Last week when I found out he had not been going to work I told him I couldn't do it anymore to pack his stuff and get out I pretty much support our family on my own why not do it on my own without the problem of supporting his drinking. He talked me into giving him one more week to prove himself that he didn't want to loose me. He has gone to a couple AA meetings and has been going to work, but today I found a new beer can hidden in the garage. How do I confront him about this? He tells me he needs my support not the jumping down his back all the time if he slips. What do I do?

MEME
Old 08-24-2006, 01:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~ 5 ~

Im not a pro on giving advice but personally i know i had to do it for MYSELF......not because my husband was going to take the kids and leave or any other reason I had to want it.
Maybe he is not ready to do it for his self.
I know that is not to encouraging and im sorry.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

MeMe,

I'm not the one to give advise on this topic as my marriage is in the process of falling apart as well. I can sympathize with your situation however. I am trying so hard to stay sober, he is not. The past year he has missed so much work either because he's too hungover to get up or he's still drunk from the night before. For now, I'm working on me and will deal with the marriage issue when I'm a bit stronger and clear headed.

There is a lot of wonderful advise and support here so stick around. Sorry I'm no help but just wanted to let you know you are not alone! Hang in!!
Old 08-24-2006, 01:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There is hope!

Hopeless-The good news there is help! Your husband sounds like he is a verty sick man and he will need help, but he will have to decide when he has had enough and wants to seek treatment. You however can decide for yourself to seek help. Alcoholism is a "family" disease which effects all who's life it touches as I am sure you know. Look in hte phone book and find the phone number for your local Alanon listing, find a meeting, and start down the miraculous road to recovery! Good luck and welcome to SR! tk
Old 08-24-2006, 02:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

He has to decide to do it for himself and if he is needing help besides AA or any other recovery program he may need to see a doctor, that is what I had to do and gave me medication to help with withdrawals and cravings, cause I was pretty bad I couldnt goa day without drinking and now I am 24 days sober, so I hope this helps and your husband gets the help he needs and quits drinking. Good Luck to you.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for everything. Glad to know I'm not alone.I was worring about how to confront him for nothing. When he came home he admitted to me that he slipped, instead of lieing and trying to hide it. Maybe that's a step in the right direction. He went to an AA meeting and came home very excited about the session. He just wished the topic was brought up before tonight because maybe he would have been able to deal with the situation and whould not have slipped. He felt guilty and ashamed and really wants to do this.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~ 5 ~

That is awesome.......not only that he admitted it that he went to a meeting too!!!
That truely is a step in the right direction, i am excited for you both.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm a Pickle

Wonderful start!