Old 08-20-2006, 09:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question How Important Are You?

Hi Im Sharon and Im an Alcoholic.

Happy Sunday to you guys.

When I think of all who have gone before
me, I realize that I am only one, not very
important, person. What happens to me is
not so very important after all. All A.A.
has taught me to be more outgoing, to seek
friendship by going at least half way, to
have a sincere desire to help. I have more
self-respect now that I have less sensitive-
ness. I have found that the only way to live
comfortably with myself is to take a real
interest in others.

Do you realize that you are not so
important after all?
Old 08-20-2006, 10:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In 100 years no one will ever have heard of me.
But today, I AM important to me.
However, I have grave depression in my background and had to learn that I was important, not just to myself but to those who love me and I have a responsibility to.
If I don't think I am important, I will think what I do doesn't matter and I won't strive to take care of myself and grow.
just my 2 cents
Old 08-20-2006, 10:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by liveweyerd
In 100 years no one will ever have heard of me.
But today, I AM important to me.
However, I have grave depression in my background and had to learn that I was important, not just to myself but to those who love me and I have a responsibility to.
If I don't think I am important, I will think what I do doesn't matter and I won't strive to take care of myself and grow.
just my 2 cents
I agree that years from now when I am gone, it really won't matter. But I believe I am important right now, to my family and to better myself in every way I desire, and also to better my health and well-being, I also think it important for me to help others if I am able to but me and my family comes first. I am not being selfish, I do help other people and enjoy it, but when I have the resources to do so.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think I understand what you are saying, Sharon. I perceive what you said to be...
As alcoholics and addicts we are all usually very self consumed. It is alll about ME ME ME. Obviously, why else would we act the way we do sometimes.
In recovery and meeting with other alkies, it becomes about US. I try to understand that I am important but not as important as I once thought myself to be.
It is about helping others that is what makes ME feel important.
Star
Old 08-20-2006, 12:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Am I important? Well, let's see....

To myself I am important enough to place my sobriety first and foremost over anything else.
To my family and friends who love me I am important.
To my job and my creditors I am important.
To my HP who I choose to call God I am important.
To be a sober and productive member of society I am important.
To the newcomer reaching out for help from someone who understands and needs help, I am important.
To be seen as a walking Big Book I am important.

How am I not important?

In the grand scheme of things I am one of trillions in this world and therefore not very important. I have not won the Nobel Peace Prize, found a cure for cancer or other affictions so once again I'm not that important. Being the self-centered creature I am when I see others laughing and giggling in my presence or with an angry look on their face I know today that it's not about me and therefore I'm not important. The world does not revolve around me or my thoughts therefore I am not that important. Perhaps this is where rule #62 came into play.

The most I can be today is another sober member of Alcoholics Anonymous and that is pretty important!

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 08-20-2006, 12:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well said!
Old 08-20-2006, 12:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

Apparently, I am extremely important to the bill collectors. They can't get enough of me.

Let's face it, we are important when people want something from us. Friends and family think we are important. Our loved ones may not always like us, but they love us unconditionally and we hold value in their eyes. We can influence others thoughts and perceptions without even realizing it. Something we say or do may be important to someone else at one point or another. All in all, life goes on with us or without us, in spirit and physically. We might as well make the best of it while we can.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree with you Liveweyerd.

ABSOLUTELY WELL SAID...KELLYE. A THUMBS UP FOR YA. : )
Old 08-20-2006, 12:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How about a BIG THUMBS UP for everyone sharing..... GOOD JOB. : )
Old 08-20-2006, 12:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Whether or not I'm remembered in 100 years is more a matter of luck than actual accomplishment. I know a great deal about my great-grandfather, who was a man of significant achievement. I'm guessing he didn't think at the time that he was that unusual.
I imagine some of the trees I've planted will still be around in a hundred years.
Whether or not you think you are important, it is useful to come to a belief that you have value simply because you exist, that others have value simply because they exist, and that life is largely what we make of it.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

How important am I? In whose eyes? I guess I am not the person that I think that I am so for that I am eternally grateful.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I guess im still in that vain stage. Im so vain...if im saying that right. For example, at my job, im in Customer Service at my local grocery store here in Houston. H.E.B. Pantry....Anyway....or in other words....im not a Cashier but rather a "Bagger". I bag the groceries when u come to check out. I ask u if ud like paper or plastic. I chit chat with you, may give u a hug if i feel close to you, ask you if ud like a carryout. I'll even play and talk with ur kids so u can conscentrate on paying.

Do I love my job? YOU BET. Do I appreciate my job position? YOU BET I DO. Do i think my position is just as important as other positions? YOU BET I DO.

Some days i find myself as the ONLY Bagger from 8am to 3pm. My other duties are to also pick up carts in whatever weather it is outside.....so if the heat index is 104, im out there.

When im by myself doing all my duties and bagging for 3 or 4 cashiers....I certainly think im important. I like feeling important...needed and wanted.

Do i get that feeling from my co-workers and management....shhhh....na.

Just cause i think my position is important they refuse to give me a raise. : (

The rule at my store is u have to move into another position in order to get a raise. My stubborness is keeping me where i am because i APPRECIATE my job and position.

They tell me they can get anyone to bag groceries....NOT..! Bagging to me is like an art.....placing the groceries in the cart is like puttin a puzzle together. Bagging is a natural talent i have. and I LOVE IT. : )

You should see how others bag....it's AWEFUL. Customers appreciate it when i take that extra attention to their groceries to make sure their eggs, chips and bread are handled with care.

You come to me and I'll take care of u. : )

Am I important? Or is it because i love the attention? Will anyone remember Sharon that bags groceries at H.E.B? I doubt it. : (

But u know what....i do care, but i dont...im doing something i enjoy and its like service work. I have had many to want to tip me and i refuse it....only because I so ENJOY helping my customers....

Only in the Eye's of my HP do I want to please.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Are You Less Self-centered?

I am less self-centered. The world used to
revolve around me at the center. I cared
more about myself, my own needs and
desires, my own pleasure, my own way,
than I did about the whole rest of the world.
What happened to me was more important
than anything else I could think of. I was
selfishly trying to be happy and therefore
I was unhappy most of the time. I have
found that selfishly seeking pleasures does
not bring true happiness. Thinking of my-
self all the time cut me off from the best
in life. A.A. taught me to care less about
myself and more about the other person.

ARE YOU LESS SELF-CENTERED?
Old 09-21-2006, 05:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good morning SR. Any thoughts on this topic for people just joining SR?
Old 09-21-2006, 05:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

In my own opinion:

I am not improtant The new commer is the only impartant one their is in a meeting, I shall never put myself ahead of my fellow addicts or alcoholics for I shall not want the peddestool of life nor the spliters after words OUCH !!! because it makes for a funny going to the emergency room with a peddesstool hangin out
Old 09-21-2006, 06:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm not the Important one
Old 09-21-2006, 08:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm the most important figure in the world, of course.

Marte
Old 09-21-2006, 09:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

I'm as important as my loved ones and friends view me.

I'm as important as a heartfelt marriage and being a good friend to others.

I'm as important as admitting when I was wrong and trying to do the next right thing.

I'm as important as my relationships are honest, considerate and loving.

Old 10-22-2006, 06:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Refreshing this topic if ud like to share ur ESH with us.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I view the world as one big interconnected piece and I believe each and every one of us is here for a reason, whether we do good things or bad. Because you never know who's life you have touched, what a difference you will make in someone's life. My daughter's addiction has taught me to be a more accepting person. If she were not an addict, would I have learned that lesson. I find that I reach out more to people who before I never would have noticed. I do believe that if something happens to me the world suffers. It is like that butterfly that flaps its wings halfway around the world yet when it reaches us it has become a hurricane. The things we do effect the scheme of things whether we feel important or not. There will never be another me when I am gone. Marle