Notices

Missing Sleep

Old 08-16-2006, 03:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Missing Sleep

Day.....I forget...I stopped counting (does that matter?). For me it's just yesterday, today and tomorrow - none of which I have or plan on drinking. My problem is SLEEP. It's been I think 14 days, and for the life of me I can not sleep. My mind just does not stop working. I try to tell myself think of a blank sheet of white paper, then the paper is on the work desk with the 'to do's' I couldn't complete then to home stuff I need to do and then just to random thoughts...So odd.

I called my doc to see if this is something he can advise me on - Any suggestions? I tried the toes, legs, knees thing and it just doesn't work, nor do counting sheep or blank paper....
Old 08-16-2006, 04:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My new sleep routine

Here is my new routine for sleep:

Avoid sugar and caffeine all day (and especially night)

Ride my bike after work

Take a hot bath or shower before bed follwed by

a hot cup of cammomile tea in living room (with lights and tv off)

sometimes I'll take a 200mg (50% rda) magnesium supplement at bedtime as well. (http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...trient&dbid=75 for more info)--check with doctor before taking any supplements)

Good Luck--it really does get better...
Old 08-16-2006, 04:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I also avoid caffeine like the plague....it has so many chemicals...some effect you 6 hrs and some 12 hrs later. I have found I have no tolerance level for caffeine. Hubby keeps trying to slip me a mickey...like mixing the decaf coffee in the morning with 20% caffeine...and I have to say NO!

That Sleepytime tea with chamomille and valerian root are really relaxing.

Nonetheless I have problems sleeping, I have a prescription for trazadone.
I have fought taking it for a couple of weeks and the results have not been positive....so tonight I say...my will power is not good enough...tho' I love the deep breathing routine and easily fall into it.......my sleep has gotten so screwed up and is impacting my life so negatively that despite my self-will, tonight I am going to take the prescribed trazadone early....allowing for 10 hours ahead of time, and take the prescribed amount.

It isn't only drinkers who have this problem. Hubby and I both have it. He rarely drinks....but last night he was awake until after 5 am with the busy brain syndrome.....planning an escape route should war break out....I cannot quite relate to that but I know....I can't sleep!

But alcoholism is not within my realm to speak about, so take anything I say with handfulls of salt!
Old 08-16-2006, 04:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dreamz do come true!!!

Z z z Z z z Z z z

I have trouble sleeping too. I mean I really don't sleep much at all - or I didn't used to. My doctor gave me some Valerian its some plant extract - the root of a plant or something like that - you can pick it up at the chemist. It helps get you over that first edge of not sleeping. Once you're actually asleep it won't be hard for your body to keep you sleeping for a good nights sleep!!!!! Let me know how you go with this because I would like to find out what works for you!!!!!
Old 08-16-2006, 06:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Sleep Info..

http://www.well.com/user/mick/insomnia/

When I pray..it is calming.

Blessings
Old 08-16-2006, 06:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I understand your feelings because insomnia is a constant with me.

I wish you well in your pursuit of sleep.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You might research relaxation exercises. The one I use is very simple; just lie on my back focusing on my breath as I breathe from my diaphram. It's a variation of meditation, which I also do, so that any thoughts that come up I notice and then let go.

Another way is to focus on your breath for a few minutes, and then think about a pleasureable place, real or imagined, focusing on all the sights, sounds, and smells.

Ditto on staying away from caffeine and trying herbs. I sometimes use something called An Mien Pien, which some Chinese herb shops carry, 6-8 pills, though I've taken as many as 12. A naturopath told me about it, and it's good for getting to sleep at least, and has no side effects.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I use a homeopathic remedy by Hyland's called Calms Forte, it for anxiety during thr day and insomnia at night. It works very well, is non habit forming and natural.

I have also used Melatonin and Valerian which are ok, Cammomile tea very strong and a take bath.

Ditto to the no caffeine. If you are in early sobriety, give it some time, I didn't sleep to well at the start, took about 3-4 weeks before it got more consistent.

Love, Rose
Old 08-16-2006, 07:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Melatonin and anti-depressants don't mix.............just a by the way.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

wantachange, that is one of my problems... I've always had the "racing mind syndrome" as my doc calls it. Even b/f drugs or alcohol impacted me. It is just my disposition, my mind is VERY active. What helps?

Meditation. Breathing exercises, chamomile tea at night. Setting aside about 1/2 hour of non active time b/f bed. Doing some exercises. When all else fails, I take Trazadone - heavy duty anti depressant / anti seizure medication in high dosages. In very low dose, side effect is that you go to sleep. It works. Just calms the mind.

Works for me. There is also an herb, melatonin, that does help, though if your mind is as active as mind, may not work so good.

Peace, Levi
Old 08-17-2006, 08:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Chy

Been there to and sometimes still.

Excercise was my saving grace in early sobriety, it really was. Someone suggested to me having some protein an hour before bed and that also helped. After about 3 weeks of insomnia I got some melatonin at the pharmacy. Non addictive and it helps you get to sleep so that you can catch a few hours anyway. Remember the body is changing and in shock.. it can take several months up to a year or more to get it back in sync. Hang in there!