Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Hands Across Time Zones, Part 3: The sun is always rising somewhere in the world

Notices

Hands Across Time Zones, Part 3: The sun is always rising somewhere in the world

Old 08-14-2006, 07:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hail all HATZers!!

This thread is an attempt to ressurect an old thread (sorry, I don't have the link) that was a great help for many of us here. While all are welcome and encouraged to participate, we focused on the people from a wide variety of places from around the globe who come here for help, caring, sharing, and just to have some time with each other.

So if you participated in the thread before, please join us again. If you didn't participate before, let us know where you are and what you are doing.

As for me, I am an American living in Japan. I just moved in March from another place in Japan, started a new job in April, became too stressed out and fell off the wagon after 4 1/2 months sober, and finally decided to give sobriety a try again. Today is my first week sober (2nd time around, and hopefully the last), and I'm looking forward to many more sober weeks, then months, then years.

It feels so good that in this day and age, when technology can be used for so many bad things, that we can use this to communicate instantly with people from around the world to help each other and use it to move forward in our lives.

Here's to sobriety!

みんなさん、がんばって*********さい。 (Minna-san, ganbatte kudasai=everyone, let's try our hardest.--it actually doesn't translate as well as it should, but you get the idea.)
Old 08-14-2006, 08:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

YAY!!!!
Get yer HATZ back on guys!

I am in Connecticut. I am sober today and have been since Dec 1 2005. Before that I was trying controlled or moderation drinking for about 3 years, and found it to suck the joy out of living, frankly. I had been sober previous to that period for a good 13-14 years, so it pretty much ruined my drinking (lol)

Its really great to have my life back again. I work an eclectic program of recovery: AA, SR, Eastern spirituality, ice cream and yoga.

This thread is really helpful for the late night owls and for the people across time zones who come on when its otherwise quiet on the boards. It was first started by Rae.

Hi Rae, wherever you are! Hope you're doing ok!

Let us get to know you....Anybody there? Where are you? What time is it where you are?

Its 11pm here.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by miss communicat
YAY!!!!
Get yer HATZ back on guys!

I am in Connecticut. I am sober today and have been since Dec 1 2005. Before that I was trying controlled or moderation drinking for about 3 years, and found it to suck the joy out of living, frankly. I had been sober previous to that period for a good 13-14 years, so it pretty much ruined my drinking (lol)

Its really great to have my life back again. I work an eclectic program of recovery: AA, SR, Eastern spirituality, ice cream and yoga.

This thread is really helpful for the late night owls and for the people across time zones who come on when its otherwise quiet on the boards. It was first started by Rae.

Hi Rae, wherever you are! Hope you're doing ok!

Let us get to know you....Anybody there? Where are you? What time is it where you are?

Its 11pm here.
Miss C,

Thanks for being the first to post!

Also, thanks so much for mentioning Rae. I feel awful I forgot to mention our founding member. Any word on her?

Edit: It's noon here.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No word from Rae. You might PM MyThreeSons (Paula)...She was in contact with Rae and may have an update.

Paula??? Are you lurking? I'll pm her too
Old 08-14-2006, 08:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Talking Newbie to the HATZ community

Hey all,

My name is Freddie. It is a little after eight pm in my area. I like this thread. I agree with the woman that mentioned how we can put this technology to good positive constructive use.

So my scoop is that I have been sober since June 12, 2005. This is my third time around in AA. I am 34 now, and first found the rooms when I was 22. I work very hard at my program. It is a combination of AA, the bible, Emmet Fox, music, exercise and yes...ice cream. I work with children for a living and they always keep me grateful of the good things that I have...that I wouldnot have if I was still getting wasted.

Thanks, happy sobriety.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freddie
Hey all,

My name is Freddie. It is a little after eight pm in my area. I like this thread. I agree with the woman that mentioned how we can put this technology to good positive constructive use.

So my scoop is that I have been sober since June 12, 2005. This is my third time around in AA. I am 34 now, and first found the rooms when I was 22. I work very hard at my program. It is a combination of AA, the bible, Emmet Fox, music, exercise and yes...ice cream. I work with children for a living and they always keep me grateful of the good things that I have...that I wouldnot have if I was still getting wasted.

Thanks, happy sobriety.
Freddy,

Thanks for joining us. Just a minor correction, and there's no way for you to know either way, I'm a man, and if you know any women in the Yokohama/Tokyo area, let them know I'm available!

Welcome to HATZ.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Dreamz do come true!!!

Cool Its my first HATZ time -YAYNESS

G'DAY

I'm a junior HATZ member - first time I've heard about HATZ but it sounds like a WICKED idea.

I am a recovering meth addict, and have been clean since 4th March 2006 (YAY) I haven't really had a recovery method until I joined SR. But now my recovery program includes SR, good friends and movies. Movies really take the edge of when I'm craving. I'm a little girl at heart so I get wound up in fantasy land when I'm watching movies!!!!

I live in Australia, its 1:31pm Tuesday here (Sydney)

I am a total optimistic and a really young 23year old - so I may not be experienced in my advice but I will always listen and give my opinion - and send some kisses and positive vibes!!!!![/SIZE][/B]

Kisses to you all
Old 08-14-2006, 09:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi!!! Also new to Hatz here. I am in Florida. I am 32 going back to school in a week or so for Nursing and I am a stay at home mom to 2 beautiful girls.I have57 days (starting 58 in 2 min).

Great to be here. I love SR and have been here since my 3rd day of sobriety. In withdrawal in all its glory I found this wonderful community. I have God SR and AA to thank for the fabulous way I am feeling. NEVER GONNA GIVE IT UP!!!

Star
Old 08-14-2006, 11:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dreamz
G'DAY

I'm a junior HATZ member - first time I've heard about HATZ but it sounds like a WICKED idea.

I am a recovering meth addict, and have been clean since 4th March 2006 (YAY) I haven't really had a recovery method until I joined SR. But now my recovery program includes SR, good friends and movies. Movies really take the edge of when I'm craving. I'm a little girl at heart so I get wound up in fantasy land when I'm watching movies!!!!

I live in Australia, its 1:31pm Tuesday here (Sydney)

I am a total optimistic and a really young 23year old - so I may not be experienced in my advice but I will always listen and give my opinion - and send some kisses and positive vibes!!!!![/SIZE][/B]

Kisses to you all

Hey Dreamz,

Glad you've got your HATZ on!! Glad to have someone from down-under. So you're a really young 23 year old? Does that mean you're about 23 years and 3 months as opposed to 23 and 11 months? :scratchch

Do you do any scuba diving? I would love to go to Australia to go diving. If you want a relaxing hobby, I know no better.

So, what movies are you into?

Take care and glad you're here.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mygirls_mylife
Hi!!! Also new to Hatz here. I am in Florida. I am 32 going back to school in a week or so for Nursing and I am a stay at home mom to 2 beautiful girls.I have57 days (starting 58 in 2 min).

Great to be here. I love SR and have been here since my 3rd day of sobriety. In withdrawal in all its glory I found this wonderful community. I have God SR and AA to thank for the fabulous way I am feeling. NEVER GONNA GIVE IT UP!!!

Star
Welcome Mygirls,

Where in Florida are you? I've been to Disney many times as a child (and once to Miami when I was three, so I don't remember a whole lot).

Good luck with school. It can be tough (and I can't imagine with two children!) but it's worth it.

Put your HATZ on and let's enjoy the ride.

Take care.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Trying to do the right thing.

This is the place i first came after speaking to Anna... Thank you Anna51.

Hello , to ALL the HATZs, its great to see this thread pulled up Thank You ((Scotty))... were's ((Jayne erye))...? . Its morning here i just got up and are sitting in mi Jamas...! Hope you all have a great Clean n Sober Day/Night...X

Many Hugs to yaz ALL...Xx

My editing n spelling is a tough one in the morning too, i.ve thanked myself now aswell. ...?
sorry...x
Old 08-14-2006, 11:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Arura
This is the place i first came after speaking to Anna... Thank you Anna51.

Hello , to ALL the HATZs, its great to see this thread pulled up Thank You ((Scotty))... were's ((Jayne erye))...? . Its morning here i just got up and are sitting in mi Jamas...! Hope you all have a great Clean n Sober Day/Night...X

Many Hugs to yaz ALL...Xx

My editing n spelling is a tough one in the morning too, i.ve thanked myself now aswell. ...?
sorry...x
Good morning to you!

I just woke up as well, but from a mid-afternoon nap! I guess my body is still adjusting to my not drowning it to sleep every night. That's ok, I'll take a nap over a hangover any day.

What part of London are you in? I studied in London for a semester when I was an undergrad. We were right near the University of London. I loved that time (as well as the beer--too much).

Take care.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Nr portobello market, primrose Hill... around there...

I love afternoon naps too....X Good to see ya Scotty...X
Old 08-14-2006, 11:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I am glad to back in the HATZ'ers home!

It's 3 a.m. in the east coast of USA
and I hate to sleep!

Hugs to all..
Old 08-15-2006, 12:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good Night Carol, my prayers are with you too Sweetie while you sleep...X

There ALL off to bed...! 'GOOD NIGHT AMERICA'...XxXxXxXxxx...x

Shhh....X Carols sleeping...Xx
Old 08-15-2006, 12:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Morning!

Nice thread! I'm in the UK too, and the mornings are my favourite times to visit SR - next to the afternoons and evenings......

Ice cream, eh............

It's the summer holidays, I have the kids today, It's persisting down - all set for a traditional English summer game of Cluedo!

Have a good one all!
Old 08-15-2006, 12:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Throw in a Caravan and a windy day at Great Yarmouth yer you got the,

Classic British summer...

We used to got to Skegness...
Old 08-15-2006, 05:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

good morning-afternoon-evening-midnight to all HATZers,

This, for me, is the most positive use of "across-time-zones-technology in my life today.

Yesterday I was in an internet nightmare that is just now beginning to subside. My business email address book got caught up in a worm or virus and was automatically propagating duplicate emails to everybody on the list, and then to everybody on my recipients' list and so on.

My IT guy is on vacation in Italy. I am cluelss as to fix the problem save for talking about it to my sponsor. She said "take a walk" ,lol and "turn it over", and those actions just werent cutting it in terms of feeling effective enough to comfort me in the face of t he angry threats I was receiving from across time zones.

I've been told that the way to stop the problem is for people to simly delete them, do not reply to them. Its kinda like asking people to be rational though.

Anyway, thats what yesterday was like for me and why I LOVE this thread. Its a positive experience of reaching across time zones with technology.
Yall make it a good SOBER day!
Old 08-15-2006, 06:27 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Wow what a great response to the thread Scotty. The part 2 just kind of fizzled. I'll have to go back and read all who joined but right now I have to run to the minimart and get dinner.

btw, I'm an American living in France and it's 3:30 here on a French national holiday (so I'm only hoping the minimart is open since the French really take their holidays seriously!)

I'm blending AA, SR, doritos, and walking (hopefully a lot more soon) in my recovery.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

were's ((Jayne erye))...?
She's on vacation in the mountains with her family before the rigamarole of school starts up again.

I think I found Lee over in the sober village, she now JustMe59 (hehe)

I forgot to toot my happy horn - 2 months for me today!