Notices

Dreams about relapsing

Old 08-14-2006, 06:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dreams about relapsing

I have been sober for 62 days, and for the past couple of weeks, I have had incredibly vivid dreams about drinking, and then feeling incredibly guilty about it afterwards. I know dreams like this are common, but does this mean that a relapse is coming? PLEASE HELP!! I thought I was totally in control, but these dreams are starting to scare me. I wake up in a panic.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi ****,

I had these dreams and I asked Mark Sitchell (psychiatrist) about them as I had the same fears that you do. I looked but can't find the link to his reply... maybe a moderator can do that for us.

The long and short of it was that Mark reassured me that this was normal and in fact was a sign of improvement in my condition. I was dreaming these thoughts as my subconscious mind had yet to come to terms with my conscious decision to stop drinking. He assured me that these dreams are actually a positive thing and that it was indicative of the progress I had made in committing to not drinking.

Take comfort in knowing that the dreams are a sign of the subconscious beginning to deal with the conscious decision of not drinking. Slowly but surely the decision of the conscious mind is filtering down to permeate all levels of your thinking.

As always, keep in mind that "this too shall pass."

Peace, Levi
Old 08-14-2006, 06:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey ****, managed to Find Mark Sichel's comments on my dreams inquiry, they are as follows:

MarkSichelCSW
Ask The Experts Moderator

good news, I think your dreams are very positive and you're correct about your addict behavior coming out in dreams rather than real life.

Drinking dreams are a very positive sign in recovery & give a good prognosis for your recovery. You may need more support now so you might go to more meetings, but the dreams are great news.

Our dreams are a combination of our unconscious wishes & fears. You want to drink & you fear drinking. The awareness of those opposing feeling is helpful in not acting on the feeling and wish (to drink).

People who relapse have no awareness that they want to drink. That's another reason your awareness is so positive.

Mark
Old 08-14-2006, 06:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wouldn't worry about the dreams about relapsing ****. They are very common and just happen from time to time.

What concerns me about your post is you saying "I thought I was totally in control". If you believe that, your over-confidence could lead to relapse. I think I always walk a fine line. I have been sober for awhile, but I know I am only one drink away from going back there. That doesn't mean I fear losing it every moment of every day. But, I think that being vigilant about my daily life is far more important than believing that I am in control.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trying to do the right thing.

Hello ****, i think its quite normal to have dreams like that. Espeically as its been part of your life for awhile and now its gone.Its gong to impact on your subconsiuos too...!

I have also had useing dreams but not for awhile now.Very Vivid things people,places...ect...even partys,stubbling around out of my head...?

They DO go away Honi... i use soft music at night, and beathing if it gets bad...! just background noise seems to help me .???

I still wake up with a start too.,quite scarry isnt it...!

Fantasic, on the 62 days WoW...X ...
Old 08-14-2006, 07:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Naps are good.

I'm right witcha! I have them ALLLLLLLLLLLLLL the time!

I'm starting to get use to them and they are not bothering me as much anymore. But then again I tend to have a lot of crazy dreams, so in comparison the dreams of relapsing don't seem too bad!
I'm just grateful whenever I get a good's night sleep! (But I still take a nap almost everyday....)
Old 08-14-2006, 07:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi ****,

In addition to what others have already said about drunk dreams, my experience (personally as well as professionally) is that, as a person detoxes from the deeper cellular level, old stored toxins are being eliminated.

That cellular memory has physical, chemical, electromagnetic, emotional, as well as mental aspects, so, as it leaves your experience (ie: as it leaves your body + mind) it comes up to, and passes, the surface layers of consciuosness and sub-consciousness, which is what dreaming represents.

As Levi reiterated, dreams may be a state of mind where unresolved conflicts are viewed, and as I am suggesting, dreams may also be a viewing arena for old cellular content to be made more conscious. Both lead to the same place: integration, healing , wholeness.

Its been helpful for me to observe all this "content" and resultant inner feelings and approach it as a healthy response to the phonomenom of detox, without attaching to, or following, any of them. Like a witness.

It also helps to trust the process of healing and recovery and to expect ups and downs along the way. Kind of like waking life.

I do remember the feelings of guilt and panic though as if I actually HAD drank the night before. In a way, this negative yucky feeling confirmed in yet one more way the desire to be free of the cycle of mental struggles.

Sobriety is a daily practice. Take good care of yourself!
Old 08-14-2006, 07:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I havnt had any dreams like that but one of the times my son quit taking xanax for a long period of time his drug counselor told him that especially in the beginning of getting off of drugs or alcohol it is normal to have dreams like that - my son had dreams of taking xanax.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It will be OK!

I have a friend that tells me that the good news about drinking/using dreams is......that I was sleeping! Anyway, I find that when I have these dreams it is usually during times when I am under alot of stress or am feeling fearful and insecure. If i keep doing what I need to do to stay sober, I have nothing to worry about. For me that means I pray, get to meetings, talk to friends in the aa program, get direction on the steps from my sponsor and work with others to get out of myself (this is the short form of course!). God takes care of me in all things and brings all things in my life to good no matter how scary they may seem at the time!
Old 08-14-2006, 08:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

**** - I had them too in early sobriety !! Oh - they were scary - I woke up SURE I had relapsed - they were so real...but once the fog cleared, they made me realize how importand staying clean and sober was to me..
Quite motivating...Just so you know you are not alone...Most people have them....Keep the faith and hang in there !!! Congratulations on staying sober !! Janni