Notices

new

Old 08-13-2006, 12:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry new

I am new to this support group. I was just released from Department of Corrections on July 31. I have been gone from my area for over 3 years. I have been clean since going to prison and I want to continue to be sober. I see the people I used to hang around with and they scare me. I don't have any friends other than users it seems. I am having a very hard time getting readjusted and don,t know who to turn to for support.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Bennmenn,

This site is a great place to meet other people who are working on staying sober. There's lots of support here and information too.

I do imagine that your readjustment will be a difficult process for you, but hopefully things will start to feel comfortable.

In the meantime, take a look around here and spend some time with us.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank You

I am feeling depressed by not having a sober individual to talk to.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
i know what it's like to not have anyone in your life to talk with, thats what makes this site so great, there are people here 24/7. all of them know what your going through, and it's a great support system! take care and stay strong - you are in the right place!

FallGirl
Old 08-13-2006, 01:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I get so depressed and scared I just want to get drunk or high. I have no family in California. My family is up by Seattle Washington. I am really wanting to go back home. But I have to give it a try here first. I don't have no one to talk to here and I really need a friend. I don't know how much more I will be able to take before I go get something to drink.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What about someone else in a NA group or an AA group. That is where I met so many friends that are dealing with the same issure and I. God Bless you and I wish you the best of luck. God is always a whisper away.....HE knows how you are feeling and is waiting for you to ask for help. Also try to think positive and do something you enjoy...but not drinking....like long hot bath, watching your favorite show, calling a family member. ALso there are toll free numbers to just call and talk to someone annonomously.We all have been where you are!! You are not alone. I am pryaing for God to give you the strength and comfort you need at this moment.!!!! HE WILL.,
polkadot
Old 08-13-2006, 01:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I will try to locate a NA or AA group in my area. I have never done this before but I want to feel good and stay sober.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

here is a meeting list for NA meetings in your area. Call someone right away and they will help you, heck they will probably come over and pick you up they are people just like us here except you can actually have physical contact with them and that is important.

www.na.org and just type in your city and state....OK..

Love Vic
Old 08-13-2006, 01:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Vic is absolutely right.

And, also remember that we're here. There's always someone around on these boards if you need to talk. You can get through this and stay sober!
Old 08-13-2006, 01:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

Welcome to SR and Congrats on your sober time!! I'd check out a meeting also, lots of people around that willing to help!! It's a time for adjustment. Don't be hard on yourself, you can do this!!
Old 08-13-2006, 01:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome....you have had a difficult journey and need to remember it does not have to be that way.....get to a meeting....tell them what is up and find a way to stay away from drinking and drugging.....that is no way to live...you have another chance here......you can do it and we are here for you !!!

~B
Old 08-13-2006, 02:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I'm HOME!!!!!

Welcome to SR!!!
Just wanted to say welcome. We're all on our separate journey's together, and that makes it a little easier knowing someone walks beside you.
You are not alone!!! More will be along shortly with welcomes and words of wisdom

Old 08-13-2006, 02:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome, Bennmenn. Glad you are here!

I echo what the others have said about AA and NA. There you will find lots of new sober friends and people who will help and support you in your sobriety. There is hope. There is a solution. Please check it out soon, k?
Old 08-13-2006, 02:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Naps are good.

Hi there Bennmenn, and welcome to SR!

Congrats on starting a new life for yourself. I'm sure it will be a difficult transition period. Just keep reminding yourself that drugs or alcohol would only make things worse in the long run (and possibly worse in the short run too).

I have only been sober for about 7 weeks. It was extremely difficult the first few weeks, but AA meetings and posting here at SR really helped. I could not have done it without them.

Just remember that when you are feeling lonely that there are others out there who are feeling the same thing.

You are not alone.

I know it may not seem like that right now, but hang in there and keep having faith. Pray that God (or your higher power) will direct you to the right people. It takes time to build new relationships so be patient with yourself. Go to an AA or NA meeting once a day and that will make such a difference. Especially if you can find an AA clubhouse in your area. Normally, the clubhouses are open for several hours a day and have more than one meeting to attend. Some of them have coffee bars where people hang out between meetings. Just getting out of your house/apt for a couple hours a day will make all the difference in the world.

And keep in mind that you will be able to give support and encouragement to others as time goes by. When I take the time to encourage another person, it usually has the benefit of making me feel better too. Even short messages posted on SR to every newcomer that you see will be helpful to you. I like to think of it like this: every time that I attend an AA meeting, or post in SR, it's like investing in my new life and buying insurance to protect me from relapsing in the future.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Thumbs up Welcome Bennmann

So glad you are here !!! I agree with the others that if you want to make some new sober friends it would be a good idea to phone NA or AA and go to a meeting....They will welcome you with open arms, just like here.
You will eventually meet someone who's path was similar to yours, we all have..that feeling of belonging just can't be beat..I have a new family that loves and supports me more than my blood family ever did..

It is so fantastic that you want to remain clean & sober...You came to the right place...We can spill our guts here anonymously and get all kinds of help and suggestions fm people who really know what they are talking about..

They even have on-line AA & NA meetings....check around and make some friends.....We are all here for you...Again - glad you are here !!!
Keep us posted !!!

.........Janni
Old 08-13-2006, 02:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I want to thank everyone who responded to my post. I can see I am in the right direction. I was unable to find a meeting in my area today. Is there a phone number you can call to talk with someone? I would really like to speak with someone.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

I don't know where you are , but usually there is a telephone number in the phone book for Alcoholics Anonymous that is 24hrs..they could give you other numbers or talk to you if you want
Old 08-13-2006, 02:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am at a friends house using his computer. I will go to a phone booth and see if I can locate someone I can talk to today.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

OK - well look up the number on the computer first - it's probably on there - someone always swipes the phone book at the payphones...ha ha
Old 08-13-2006, 02:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Naps are good.

Hi again Bennmenn!

It's easy to search the internet for meetings in your area. I just found a place in West Covina, California called Serenity Quest that lists meetings for AA, NA, and many other 12 step groups.
There is a phone number listed for daytime hours and one for evening hours as well.
http://www.serenityquest.org/tp07/page.asp?ID=20881

If the above link does not work, try going to www.serenityquest.org/

I have copied the following info from their website and pasted it below with the phone numbers. I hope this helps!

About Us

Welcome to Serenity Quest. Our mission is to be of service toward physical, emotional and spiritual growth and healing. Our goal is to:
Exalt the Higher Power of our individual understanding.
Encourage spiritual maturity.
Share what we have learned with those who still suffer.
Insist on enjoying life.
Ultimately become happy, joyous and free children of God.

Serenity Quest is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to the pursuit of physical, emotional and spiritual growth and healing via 12-Step programs, individual therapy, or other self-help methodologies. We are non-denominational but do believe in a loving God, as we individually understand Him. Our goal is to know Him and strive to accomplish His will always, with the ultimate purpose of becoming happy, joyous and free children of God.

Serenity Quest Incorporated was founded in 1980 by Connie A., whose life was changed miraculously by God’s grace through the programs of Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous, Overeaters Anonymous, Coda, Prostitutes Anonymous, and Adult Children of Alcoholics. The Serenity Quest organization was an all-inclusive group acting as a clearinghouse for a variety of community services such as temporary housing, educational opportunities, workshops, events, counseling and other recovery-based assistance. Connie created Serenity Quest, a monthly publication distributed worldwide. Unfortunately, due to financial setbacks, Serenity Quest, both the organization and publication, ceased operation in 1994.

In the spring of 2004, Connie contacted a long-time friend, Anne B., a member of Overeaters Anonymous. Anne also identifies as a black-belt codependent, shopaholic, and her hobbies include web design and freelance writing when she isn't running amuck with her husband and two adorable little boys. Connie’s new ambition was to recreate the spirit of Serenity Quest on the World Wide Web. As "luck" would have it, both ladies shared the same vision and passion, and Connie and Anne quickly became business partners. With lots of miracles, blessings and unexplained coincidences along the way, www.serenityquest.org is the result of their collaboration.

We are glad you have found us and we hope that you will discover and embrace the serenity that awaits you. Until then, may God bless you as you trudge with us on the road of happy destiny!

In early November 2005 Kim F joined Anne and Connie to update articals and add graphics. If you have any calandar requests or questions please contact the [email protected]. Kim makes a loving cute contributions. Please send your comments on how to improve Serenityquest.org!

You can reach us @ Amstoneus******.com or telephone her @(626) 691-1700 Monday through Friday 9:30am to 4:30:00pm Evenings and Weekends you can call Connie A @(626) 893-9811.

Add your pictures to join our Serenity Quest family. Send us your snail mail address and we'll send you a free magnet and surrender flag. Here's to your quest for Serenity!!