Notices

My 28 Days In Rehab - It Set Me On The Path Of Recovery

Old 08-12-2006, 07:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile My 28 Days In Rehab - It Set Me On The Path Of Recovery

Hi my name is Sharon and Im an Alcoholic.

By the Grace of my HP and you people I havent had a drink of alcohol since.... 8-11-90 .....and for that Im truely grateful.

I wanted to send a special thank you to all you guys who shared your wishes with me yesterday on my 16th sobriety birthday. Those wish are much appreciated.

I shared my story yesterday here in SR which was condensed in a short version just so others could understand what happened to me before during and after drinking.

Today I read others that share their thoughts on rehab. I know not everyone who enters recovery have had the opportunity to recieve help thru a rehab facility. Many do enter on thier own in which i feel is so awesome. You had the power somewhere inside urself to freely walk thru the doors of recovery for help.

In my case i was powerless and because of the state i was in my family did for me what i couldnt do for myself. They themselves didnt have the answers either but with smart nosey in-laws they seem to find what was needed to help me.

A single phone call to a local hospital led them to first getting a court order to have me picked up and taken to rehab. Again...my family tried to take me in themselves, but because of my stubborness and physical strength they could budge me. So what else could they do? It took people with authority to physically remove me from a situation that could have ended far worst than it was.

My 28 day rehab stay was where i needed to be whether i wanted it or not. Sure i was forced into the system because i was to hard headed to allow anyone closer to me to help me.

Sure my rehab stay was controlled. For me i bucked the system all the way...but i had to follow the rules. I was one of those that didnt and still dont like people to tell me what to do. But if u dont follow the rules then there are consequences. So i followed them to the best of my detoxing body could do at the time.

There is a movie called WHEN A MAN LOVES A WOMAN AND 28 DAYS....both movies show in detail what rehab stay is like. Everything Meg Ryan and Sandra Bullock did before during and after was close to my own life story. Everything they said and thought was the way I was.

Rehab for 28 days saved my life. I wasnt brain washed altho many would say that brain washing was a good thing esp. since they need to get all the stinking thinking out of their heads.

I wasnt brain washed and it wasnt a cult. No one pushed anything on me or forced me to say what i didnt want to say at the time. The councilors their are just like us...they have been thru recovery just like us so they know what it is like to be an addict or alcoholic.

For them they have had more extensive training so they can share with us more in detail about our disease and how it affects our bodies.

From the very beginning with Dr. Bob and Bill Wilson....and the others....they began this recovery process on their own and thus others learned from it so that it can continue on today.

My rehab stay was a learning process. Even when i was in a fog detoxing i was still there listening....some of the stuff sunk in and the rest i began to understand as time went on.

In rehab i exercises, ate well, slept well... all the convieninces of home but NO alcohol. Which was GREAT. There was NO temptation there for me.

Early in the morning people went to the front desk to take whatever meds they needed to take and get their vital signs. Me, i felt proud as i didnt have to take meds..yeeha. Then we had group. then lunch. Group again. Afternoon exercises....supper and a night meeting. If you had been there for awhile then u were the lucky one as a designated AA driver came to pick u up and take u to an outside meeting. Me..ill never forget that..it was totally awesome to be able to get out of "prison" so to speak and see the outside world with a new pair of glasses. UNBELIEVABLE. The times i was left alone while others were out, i poped popcorn and clean up for the others when they returned...i was like a little house keeper or someones mom....but i realized no one cared what the hell i was doing...i had to realize i was in there for me and no one else. Not to please anyone or make brownie points....if i wanted recovery for me i had to do it for me.

Anyway..i did finish my 28 days halfass completing the first 3 steps. It was all i could comprehend at the time.

I was released and went home to the real world....afraid..still harboring resentments....and sober. I emmediately began my outpatiant aftercare treatment in which i completed in 6 weeks. All this was done from me. No one held a gun to my head. I did this because i was scared and i didnt want to drink and end up dead or taken away from my family again. So i did what was suggested to me and held on for dear like.

REHAB and my family saved my life....I did the footwork tho....and thats where the willingness and desire came in.

Recovery was and is what i want always. JUST FOR TODAY.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great share. I saw the Meg Ryan movie. It so closely paralleled my mother throughout my childhood that I broke down in tears. My GF at the time was less than sympathetic... she actually said to me as we were walking away from the movie theater to just go ahead a blubber and get it over with, I heard you sniffling throughout the movie.

Her reaction was so cold it was surprising. She knew everything I had been through. She had alcoholism in her own family. Despite all of that she was so cold about the whole thing. I needed support and understanding and I got the cold shoulder. I think that was likely the beginning of the end for our r/s, despite our engagement. I hadn't even thought of that til this post/thread.

Peace, Levi
Old 08-12-2006, 08:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hear you Levi. We can't control other people emotions or feeling or thoughts. That's why coming here to share with you and others...i know without a doubt that u will or would understand me whatever the situation maybe.

I can sit thru these Lifetime movies over and over again and relate to them completely. Probably because they deal with real life situations similar to my own. Anyone else in my family would think im nuts to keep watching them....

Anyway....I DO ...understand you Levi..... : )