Notices

Question.......

Old 08-11-2006, 11:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question.......

I'm new to recovery (under 30 days). I'm having trouble sleeping at night. I have a prescription for Ambein. I have been hesitant to take them to help fall asleep on nights I have trouble because I know a drug is a drug, prescribed or not.. Surprisingly, this is one drug I never abused however. 30 of them had lasted 5 months. My question is....... Would it be OK to take them when needed or should I continue to stare at the TV until 3-4am?
Old 08-11-2006, 11:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would check with your doc and see if they are habit forming. If they are be real careful. I have the sleep issue, so I was not good with taking anything at first. Then the doc suggested Trazadone. My issue is with falling to sleep b/c my mind races and won't relax and shut down always.

Trazadone is not a sleep med, it is actually used as an anti seizure med for epilepsy or anti depressant for bi polar patients when taken in large doses. In small doses it has the side effect of quieting the mind only. It works. It is not habit forming and I sleep. Beauty. I take it when I need to but I always try to sack out with out it first.

Peace, Levi.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Option and welcome to SR!

I understand the not sleeping and I know it can be aweful but I have chronic insomnia so.......another show lol.

About the Ambien.......my doc tried me on it and it worked the first couple nights, after that, it went in the trash. From what I have read, it can be addictive. Please do not crush or break it in half because it actually has 2 layers, the first dissolves quick so as to relax you immediately, the 2nd comes later to help keep you asleep. Like Levi said though, you should NEVER take anything without first talking to your doctor. Ambien messes with the chemicals in your brain........kinda scarey if ya think about it!!! Give the doc a call, Im sure he/she will advise you.
Liss
Old 08-12-2006, 05:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome to SR!

See if this might help

Sleep Link

http://www.well.com/user/mick/insomnia/

Way To Go on your sober time!..

Blessings...
Old 08-12-2006, 05:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your days sober. You just said under 30, so I don't know how many you have but.....

For me, a lot of my drinking was about being able to sleep. And unfortunately, the "detox" process can also interrupt sleep. I've had people tell me this lasted as long as three months, for me it was only a few days and I was sleeping through the night.

Hang in there, it will get better.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Naps are good.

Welcome to SR!

I think it's good that you are questioning the idea of taking these pills before you just start taking them. I would keep doing research and getting opinions, and pray about it and be led by my heart, and when in doubt...don't.

Bottom line is you have to discover what works for you. Good sleep is a big factor in maintaining one's sanity. Hence my avatar....naps are good.

Old 08-12-2006, 06:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This site is the US Government's medical information database. It is user friendly and links to all the other US major medical databses. You can reach it at: http://www.medlineplus.org/

This is what they had to say about it:

Why is this medication prescribed?Return to top

Zolpidem is used to treat insomnia (difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep). Zolpidem belongs to a class of medications called sedative-hypnotics. It works by slowing activity in the brain.
How should this medicine be used?Return to top

Zolpidem comes as a tablet and an extended-release (long acting) tablet to take by mouth. It is usually taken as needed at bedtime. Zolpidem will work faster if it is not taken with a meal or immediately after a meal. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Take zolpidem exactly as directed.

You will probably become very sleepy soon after you take zolpidem and will remain sleepy for some time after you take the medication. Plan to go to bed right after you take zolpidem, and to stay in bed for 7–8 hours. If you get up too soon after taking zolpidem, you may experience memory problems .

Swallow the extended release tablets whole; do not split, chew, or crush them.

Your sleep problems should improve within 7–10 days after you start taking zolpidem. Call your doctor if your sleep problems do not improve during this time or if they get worse at any time during your treatment. Talk to your doctor about the risks of taking zolpidem for longer than 1–2 weeks.

Zolpidem can be habit-forming. Do not take a larger dose, take it more often, or take it for a longer time than prescribed by your doctor.

Do not stop taking zolpidem without talking to your doctor, especially if you have taken it for longer than 2 weeks. If you suddenly stop taking zolpidem, you may develop unpleasant feelings or you may experience more severe withdrawal symptoms such as seizures, shakiness, stomach and muscle cramps, vomiting, and sweating.

After you stop taking zolpidem, you may have more difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep than you did before you started taking the medication. This difficulty sleeping is normal and usually gets better without treatment after one or two nights.
Other uses for this medicineReturn to top

This medication may be prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
What special precautions should I follow?Return to top

Before taking zolpidem,

* tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to zolpidem or any other medications.
* tell your doctor and pharmacist what prescription and nonprescription medications, vitamins, nutritional supplements, and herbal products you are taking or plan to take. Be sure to mention any of the following: antidepressants ('mood elevators') such as imipramine (Tofranil); itraconazole (Sporanox); medications for anxiety, colds or allergies, mental illness, pain, or seizures; rifampin (Rifadin, Rimactane); sedatives; sertraline (Zoloft);sleeping pills; and tranquilizers. Your doctor may need to change the doses of your medications or monitor you carefully for side effects.
* tell your doctor if you drink or have ever drunk large amounts of alcohol, use or have ever used street drugs, or have overused prescription medications. Also tell your doctor if you have or have ever had depression, sleep apnea (condition in which the patient briefly stops breathing many times during the night), other breathing problems, or liver or kidney disease.
* tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. If you become pregnant while taking zolpidem, call your doctor. Do not breastfeed while you are taking zolpidem.
* if you are having surgery, including dental surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are taking zolpidem.
* you should know that zolpidem may make you drowsy during the day, and may increase the risk that you will fall. Take extra care not to fall and do not drive a car or operate machinery until you know how this medication affects you.
* Do not drink alcohol during your treatment with zolpidem. Alchohol can make the side effects of zolpidem worse.
* you should know that your mental health may change in unexpected ways while you are taking this medication. It is hard to tell if these changes are caused by zolpidem or if they are caused by physical or mental illnesses that you already have or suddenly develop. Tell your doctor right away if you experience any of the following symptoms: aggressiveness, strange or unusually outgoing behavior, hallucinations (seeing things or hearing voices that do not exist), feeling as if you are outside of your body, memory problems, difficulty concentrating, slowed speech or movements; new or worsening depression, thinking about killing yourself, confusion, and any other changes in your usual thoughts, mood, or behavior. Be sure that your family knows which symptoms may be serious so that they can call the doctor if you are unable to seek treatment on your own.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You may want to talk to your Dr about Rozerem. It is a non-habit forming sleeping pill. It was prescribed to me when I first stopped drinking. All of my Drs now know that I am an alcohlic and will not prescribe me anything that is habit forming anymore unless absolutely necessary.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If you don't mind, might I suggest turning off the TV? This is a problem with children who are allowed to have TVs in their bedrooms. They statistically get far less quality sleep than they need and their grades usually suffer as well.

I think the audio/visual stimulii is adding to your sleeplessness. I know it sucks to stay in bed with nothing but your thoughts, but I think normal sleep returns quicker. I quit drinking late last year, and the first week I didn't get much sleep. But after that, I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.

Unfortunately, I started drinking again for several months. Right now, I'm on day 4 sober, and I'm not yet falling asleep quickly. Yet, I know it will come.

My suggestion is to try that for a week or two instead of relying on medicine. I know each person is different, but nobody has ever died from lack of sleep.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
REZ

Do you want to take a sleeping pill for the rest of your life? Eventually, you need to learn to fall asleep without the pills. I, too, had trouble sleeping when I got clean because I was accustomed to passing out at night from drugs/alcohol. Some things I have found useful: cut back on the caffeine, especially at night, exercise regularly, take a warm bath, read, meditate, warm milk, herbal tea (deacaff)...
Old 08-12-2006, 10:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've been taking Melatonin which has helped - it's natural and non-addictive. My doctor will not prescribe sleeping meds because of the addictive quality to many of them.

Also the stuff that Rez suggested as well - also no food after 7 or 8 at night.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I often have difficuly sleeping, I did use Melatonin and Valerian for a while, but it didn't quite do the trick. I wake frequently during the night.

I have been using a homeopathic remedy, the manufacturer id "Hylands" and its called "Calms Forte"

Its really amazing, safe, natural and non-habit forming.

Rose
Old 08-12-2006, 09:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Option B,

For me, today is day 5, last night was #4. I am noticing each night is getting easier and easier to fall asleep. I'm still not out once my head hits the pillow, but still I'm getting more and better sleep. I hope you're doing ok.

Also, this morning something else positive happened (actually didn't happen). I got out of the shower (at 38 degrees celcius) and I wasn't sweating from head to foot--not one drop. It's amazing how resilient the body can be if we stop abusing it. I have to remember to keep noticing these positive effects of not drinking.

I'm wishing the best for you.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
one of many

Another user mentioned Rozerem. I highly recommend it to those who have insomnia and are in recovery. It really is non-addictive but it gets the job done and you don't feel groggy the next morning. My doc prescribed it for me instead of lunesta or ambien, and I'm sure glad they did, because I know I would have been abusing the other two.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

How about....

Early to bed early to rise makes a man healthy wealthy and wise.

Some good suggestions and links above.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

A neighbor of mine was prescribed ambien cause she broke her leg and couldnt sleep and she ended up while she was sleeping getting in her car cause she thought it was time to go to work but it was'nt and she actually was asleep while driving and she took out a telephone pole and totaled her car so after that she didnt take it again.